Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

LED headlight globes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
LED headlight globes

Has anyone used the latest LED (Cree) type globes as a replacement for the Halogen globes in their D3 projector style head lamp?

Any problems???

Post #188505030th Nov 2017 3:12 am
garrycol

Australia 

No done it but have investigated putting in LEDs. Should be OK in your low beam projector lamp but not good enough for you Hi beam - lots of light but no range but that is not such an issue in low beam.

I have put 55w HIDs in my projectors.

Garry

Post #188505230th Nov 2017 3:59 am
Globetrotter448

Thanks, will look at that. The "cree" led's have a small controller but it will not fit where the halogen globe is. So it may be upgraded D2S lamps

Post #188505930th Nov 2017 8:12 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

They don't match the geometry of a filament bulb so they will disperse light, and thus in the case of low beams are liable to cause glare. Always bear in mind that they are three-dimensional objects - in two dimensions, as is typically shown in the drawings, they are OK, but note what happens when you take account of the third plane:

Miles off the focal point. The board on which the LEDs are mounted alone is almost certainly wider than the filament would be, even before you consider the depth of the LEDs themselves, so this applies to all LED bulbs at present (and is unlikely to change given the problem doesn't apply to new purpose-built designs).

D2S bulbs on the other hand are HID, and the problem is even more severe because the arc is even smaller than a filament.

The low beam xenons should be perfectly adequate as they are - if you're finding them dim then simply changing the bulbs will make a big difference because they wear with age. I recommend good quality 4300K standard D2S bulbs like Osram Xenarc Original - don't bother with (road-legal) upgrade bulbs; they are constrained to the same output of 3200lm that the standard bulbs already meet, so the performance increase is negligible. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #18853881st Dec 2017 11:04 am
Mole734

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

They are tested in the latest LRO magazine with exactly the same results. Plenty of light but no beam pattern and lots of glare.

Post #18854051st Dec 2017 12:31 pm
garrycol

Australia 

Lost for Words wrote:
The low beam xenons should be perfectly adequate as they are - if you're finding them dim then simply changing the bulbs will make a big difference because they wear with age. I recommend good quality 4300K standard D2S bulbs like Osram Xenarc Original - don't bother with (road-legal) upgrade bulbs; they are constrained to the same output of 3200lm that the standard bulbs already meet, so the performance increase is negligible. Thumbs Up

The OP does not have Xenons - he has the standard H7 halogens in his low beam projector.

Post #18854201st Dec 2017 1:15 pm
Globetrotter448

Thanks for all the detailed responses - it seems original may be best. Now to tell SWIMBO what I need for christmas

Post #18856271st Dec 2017 10:45 pm
Lost for Words

garrycol wrote:
Lost for Words wrote:

The OP does not have Xenons - he has the standard H7 halogens in his low beam projector.

Are you thinking of the RRS? He mentions D2S and I'm not aware of any halogen projector headlamps for the D3 (as far as I can see, the part numbers show only two sets of RHD halogen units - levelling and non-levelling). Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC

Post #18857982nd Dec 2017 3:13 pm
garrycol

Australia 
Re: LED headlight globes

Globetrotter448 wrote:
Has anyone used the latest LED (Cree) type globes as a replacement for the Halogen globes in their D3 projector style head lamp?

Any problems???

He does say Halogen globes in the D3 projector so that was my assumption but I do agree he does go on to mention DS2 so not clear.

Some mid to high spec D3s here in Aust (noting the OP is in Aust) have the low beam projectors with halogens the same as the base RRS here.

Post #18860123rd Dec 2017 2:16 am
Globetrotter448

For clarity, I have projector head lights with xenon in the top lamp which has a high/low beam function and a halogen as the high beam in the lower light plus halogens in the fog lights. Sorry for the confusion
It was the halogens I was going to change. Embarassed

Post #18860153rd Dec 2017 4:59 am
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

The halogens are used as an infil to the xenon beam pattern. I fitted some Osram night breakers in my last D4 as they are a bit brighter and the colour more closely matches the xenon. Worked well.

The fog lights could be replaced with LED, these are all about spreading light wide, so should be fine, but I’ve never tried.
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #18860173rd Dec 2017 6:49 am
garrycol

Australia 

Globetrotter448 wrote:
For clarity, I have projector head lights with xenon in the top lamp which has a high/low beam function and a halogen as the high beam in the lower light plus halogens in the fog lights. Sorry for the confusion
It was the halogens I was going to change. Embarassed

Ok thanks so you dont have halogens in the projector.

In that case your main hi/low beam is in the projector with the DS2 HID/Xenon globe. As mentioned the Halogen hi beam is an infill beam so with this an LED may be worthwhile as your Hi beam is still provided by the Projector but I don't know. One of the ultra bright Narva/Osram halogens will most likely also work well - Supercheap have them.

Garry

Post #18860213rd Dec 2017 8:16 am
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Yeah, high / low beam from the xenon, with halogen infil. Not tried and LED but the Osram bulbs worked a treat as infil
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #18860343rd Dec 2017 9:27 am
Lost for Words

Mr.Tom wrote:
The halogens are used as an infil to the xenon beam pattern. I fitted some Osram night breakers in my last D4 as they are a bit brighter and the colour more closely matches the xenon. Worked well.

The fog lights could be replaced with LED, these are all about spreading light wide, so should be fine, but I’ve never tried.

There are about spreading light wide, but, they are also about very tight vertical control - LEDs would cause a large spill of light upwards rendering the fog lamps no longer fog lamps. The higher colour temperature is also worse for fog (fogs ought to be selective yellow IMO). Thumbs Up

H9s can be fitted to the fogs though (2100lm vs 1350lm) - the inner lug on the connector just has to be cut out. They will cause some spill, because they don't have caps, but the beam pattern is retained. Smile

Post #18860413rd Dec 2017 10:03 am
Lost for Words

Re: LED headlight globes

garrycol wrote:
Globetrotter448 wrote:

Any problems???

He does say Halogen globes in the D3 projector so that was my assumption but I do agree he does go on to mention DS2 so not clear.

Some mid to high spec D3s here in Aust (noting the OP is in Aust) have the low beam projectors with halogens the same as the base RRS here.

Interesting - what's the reasoning behind them? Seems a strange effort to go to.

Post #18860453rd Dec 2017 10:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >