Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

LED Sidelights as DRLs 2009-2013 D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As I have said before, you cannot achieve what most want (which is what I have done) without cutting at least one wire and diodes/connectors made up properly.

Lucero, the problem with both Scandinavian and Canadian CCF settings is that it is the headlights that come on and that is not what people want they want the LED sidelights on, preferably without tail lights.

I still cannot agree with you in regard to the rear (tail) lights. Are we talking about the same thing? So in daylight without any lights turned on by light switches, recently introduced cars will have the front DRLs on. Are you saying that in that situation the rear lights are also on? It wasn't like that in the 2014 5 series that I was driving last week or the 2014 E class that I was a passenger in the week before Confused

Post #13838604th Dec 2014 7:47 pm
ROY_H

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Just out of interest, what diodes have you used ?

I'm guessing around about a 5amp rating for safety ?
 Morris Dancers: Drinkers with A Dance Problem  
Post #13838944th Dec 2014 8:39 pm
discoteca

The diodes were rated to 10amps. As it happens I think this was overkill, the 10 LEDs on each side cannot draw that much current. If the LEDs 2w per LED (which is probably about right, remember they are not that bright) that would be 20w, or 1.6 amps at 12v. Even if they are 3w per LED which I think is unlikely it would only be 2.5 amps. The cable in the car that feeds the sidelights looks like 1mm so the draw can't be particularly high.

Post #13838994th Dec 2014 8:48 pm
gvw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

nice work Thumbs Up
Do you have a photo or part no. of the diodes as I'm struggling to make them out in the photo - obviously not the type of diodes I've come across before or is it just how you've covered them?
Thanks

Post #13839074th Dec 2014 8:54 pm
discoteca

I have put some heat shrink over the ends of the diodes to also cover the connector as I won't ever be taking that bit apart even if I need to remove them.

I used these (4 of):
http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/748/category/123 Thumbs Up

The next time I make a set up I am considering using in line mini fuse holders and diodes that go in the mini fuse holder in place of a fuse - mainly because you can get the in line fuse holders with cables already attached and sealed reducing the number of male/female spade connectors that need to be crimped on and heat shrunk to complete the job. Problem is I can only find the mini fuse shaped diodes rated up to 3 amps, probably because they are a lot smaller. I think that will be enough but am not sure until I can check what the actual current draw is for the 10 LEDs.

Last edited by discoteca on 4th Dec 2014 9:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13839104th Dec 2014 8:59 pm
gvw

Thanks for that - not seen any like that before Thumbs Up

Post #13839154th Dec 2014 9:04 pm
Lucero

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yes, The E6x range of BMWs and most of the early F1x range have DRLs which are basically all side lights. Why would you not want the rears on in drl mode, especially if it was foggy in the daytime and people don't put their lights on.

With the BMW, with the lights in AUTO, the DRLs activate the front halo rings and rear LED clusters. If these aren't on, they can be turned on / off through iDrive.

I thought Robbo had nailed this all in his D3 to MY14D4 conversion. The 2014 DRL is the signature LED plus the front light cluster unit (not the dipped beam bulb). You can see that from his photos.

Ultimately, I would like the just the signature LEDs and the rear lights to be on all the time and the dipped beam to activate when the light sensor calls for it. Much like the BMW INPA / NCSEXPERT software, there must be a way to manipulate the hex of the CCF file to only call the side lights when in Auto.

I've witnessed too many, admittedly older population, driving along the road at night with apparently no lights on. You come up behind them, in pitch black, and suddenly there's a car there. You flash them to tell them to put their lights on but all the time it seems like they are ignoring you. Why? because as you pull past, you then see two dimly lit LED strips, which are the DRL. All because the salesman told them the car had auto lights, but they forgot to turn them on.

No rear lights for a DRL setting is IMO, a bit stupid

Post #13839214th Dec 2014 9:09 pm
discoteca

Lucero its not nailed with the conversion that Robbo did because he used MY14 lights which have DRLs that are designed to be DRLs built in i.e. quite different to MY10-13 headlights. There is a pin in the multiplug in these lights specifically for DRL mode. As I recall Robbo also had to add some extra wiring to get it all to work properly.

I'm not arguing the point as to whether it is better/safer to have the tail lights illuminated or not, simply that most cars are not like that.

What you want to achieve (i.e. tail lights as well) is straightforward. Take two ignition switched wires from the pollution sensor and splice them into the LED sidelight feed behind each headlamp. I would also pass the ign switched +ve through a single diode on each side, so that you do not make the pollution sensor wire +ve when it shouldn't be, e.g. parked, ignition off and sidelights on. The auto function will work as previously to turn on the headlights when it is dark (as it does on my no rear lights mod)

You will not achieve what you want through standard CCF settings as there is no CCF entry to do it.

Last edited by discoteca on 4th Dec 2014 9:51 pm. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #13839304th Dec 2014 9:26 pm
gvw

I thought that rear lights are not on with drls.
When sidelights or dipped beam is selected the rear lights come on and the drl intensity is reduced - obviously the disco drl mod doesn't do this but as the sidelights are not as bright as true drls then this is not required.

Post #13839324th Dec 2014 9:26 pm
discoteca

^ indeed........

Post #13839344th Dec 2014 9:27 pm
Beno2

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Discotech well done for a great mod with very clear written and visual instructions Thumbs Up
 D3 HSE

Post #13839544th Dec 2014 9:48 pm
discoteca

Thanks Beno2. At some point (probably next time the headlights are off) I'll take some pictures of it all in place. It was too late last night to start messing around with photos.

Post #13839594th Dec 2014 9:50 pm
Lucero

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks for the tip Discoteca. Where is the pollution sensor? Can I use the same diodes as you, or have you some wires made up that I can purchase of you?

Post #13840074th Dec 2014 10:46 pm
Parallax33

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
 Justin

Discovery 4 MY14 XXV Causeway Grey
RRS MY12 Autobiography
Discovery 4 MY12 GS
Nanocom, Cruise Control, Cubby Fridge, TomTom SatNav, Xenons, BlackVue 

Post #13840294th Dec 2014 11:36 pm
discoteca

Lucero, yes use the same diodes the link is above (make sure you put the diodes in the right way round, in your example the arrow on the diode points away from the live pick up at the pollution sensor and towards the wire connected to the sidelamp wire on the back of the headlight).

The wiring for the (unused) pollution sensor is behind the grill dangling down in front of the radiator pack. Its a few thin black wires ending in a multiplug with nothing plugged into it hanging loose roughly where the horns are. It should have a blanking cap over the connector but mine was missing. All the wires going into it are black, to identify the ignition switched live look at the plug where the wires go into the back of it and you will see where each wire goes in is colour coded red, blue or grey. The wire you want is the one colour coded blue on the connector in the bottom row directly below the grey one (there is only one grey one but several black ones) I think that it is the right hand end pin in the second row assuming the grey pin is the top row.
I am wondering now though if the pollution sensor wire is up to the job of powering both front and rear sets of lights, number plate lights etc. Its a very thin wire, it was one of my biggest worries and in my solution I'm only powering the front LEDs.

Last edited by discoteca on 6th Dec 2014 7:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13840344th Dec 2014 11:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >