Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

Life with my D4 v D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
CraigP

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

PaulC wrote:
Is it just my vehicle or are the front parking sensors very quiet in the D4?

I find front and back quiet also I preferred the D3 which armed the front parking sensors automatically below a certain speed as opposed to the D4 which I have to switch on unless I go into reverse first.

Post #8146767th Jul 2011 6:15 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

To be fair, the parking sensors changed on the D3 after the first couple of years. Only the early D3's auto-armed the front sensors when slowing.

ISTR you can get this changed at the dealer to the older spec with auto arming if you prefer. I'm not sure if that is true, or if it can apply to D4 also. Confused

Post #8147027th Jul 2011 8:21 am
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Near Side Dash – What ....no slide out Cupholder on the D4!!! Very discreet and useful on the D3.

Have I got one of these?!
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #8147157th Jul 2011 9:04 am
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Under the left hand side dash air vent there is a rectangle piece of plastic, push it in and out springs a cup holder, unless of course you have a cheapskate GS model Whistle

Laughing I have a GS and bought one, very easy to fit, in fact it has just reminded me to use it, I forgot it was there, quite difficult to lean right over when driving, you really need to be on cruise control to get a drink Rolling with laughter

Post #8147307th Jul 2011 9:44 am
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

I have an S 05 plate and I havent got one!!! Boo.

Can you retro fit one?
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #8147757th Jul 2011 11:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Davro

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi, there are a few posts on this but this was the only one I could see with part numbers and pictures,
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic6962.ht...p;start=15

I am sure TLO will be able to come up with a price, assuming they are still available !.

Post #8147787th Jul 2011 11:56 am
fakesnake

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

bigdave wrote:
I have an S 05 plate and I havent got one!!! Boo.

Can you retro fit one?

I had one on my 54 plate 'S' -or I did until my daughter tried to close it with her foot. Needless to say, they are not very durable Sad
 Richard  
Post #8149447th Jul 2011 7:39 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Further to Ron's O/P... there's another couple of things which have started to annoy on the D4 as I live with it...

There's a new sensor/dot on the rear view mirror. Unfortunately, it's right in the middle of my view and I find it quite distracting. Was this to one side on the D3?

The dimmer for reducing the brightness of the dashboard at night only dims the central panel and buttons. The brightness of the dash right in front of you (speedo/revs etc) is always full on.

The park distance sensors are nowhere near as reliable as the ones on my D3. I get random alerts and the speed of the warnings sometimes change even when I'm stationary!

Still love the D4 - engine/economy etc, but it does make you realise what a truly great vehicle the D3 was. Thumbs Up

Post #81596111th Jul 2011 9:10 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

crews control wrote:
The dimmer for reducing the brightness of the dashboard at night only dims the central panel and buttons. The brightness of the dash right in front of you (speedo/revs etc) is always full on.

Yep, forgot about that one!!
Kind of a stupid function, because that's the key area I'd liked dimmed when I use it.

And yes also annoyed about the sensor on the rear view mirror, I just assumed I hadn't noticed it on the D3.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #81599111th Jul 2011 10:15 am
doubledoom

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Life with my D4 v D3

ronp wrote:

No Heated Rear Seats - Again I found useful in the D3, but sadly not fitted on my D4.

No Cigarette Lighter – I don’t smoke, never have done, but have always regarded a cigarette lighter as a necessity for one of mans most basic requirements – you never know when you need to set something alight!

Starter Button – what’s that all about! nothing but a gimmick! This aint some sports car.
[I see there’s also ‘Paddle Shift’ available on the 2012 spec]. Definitely not required on a 4 wheel drive machine and especially a Land Rover!! ... again LR pandering to the city/boy racer element.

Door card bottle holders – They’re SQUARE and too wide – what’s that all about? I’m having to pack my Sig bottle with a cloth to stop it rattling & flopping around. Never had that issue on my D3.

Auto Folding Mirrors – would like to be able to programme whether the mirrors fold or not ... by myself.

Indicator count – will flash for a pre selected amount of flashes, again I’d rather be in control of how many flashes I want to give!
eg. sometime’s I’d just like to give just one or two flashes in acknowledgement when pulling in after an overtake.

1 - heated rear seats are an option
2 - cig lighter is an option to include or delete. Yours is deleted obviously
3 - starter button - come on thats not an issue!!!
4 - door bottle holder is better for wider bottles such as those fatter evian bottles. The centre cup holders are normal size.
5 - folding mirrors manual/automatic is a dealer option to turn on/off
6 - indicator count can be single or multiple flash. Its a dealer option to choose which you want. Its single on mine.

Post #81602511th Jul 2011 11:55 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Life with my D4 v D3

Rolling Eyes

1 - I know it's an option - but it wasn't an option on my D3, it was standard
2 - [ditto]
3 - Preferance of 'key starting' over gimmicky button - I see no point to this
4 - Don't want a 200mm tall bottle at hand/arm level, plus those holders are too narrow
5 - Don't want dealer to control function - I want to be able to choose that myself
6 - [ditto]

The thread was MY thoughts & preferances on my D4 versus my D3.
I don't expect everyone to agree - I'm merely just airing my view on what I don't like versus what I had.
Though everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Thumbs Up
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #81603311th Jul 2011 12:45 pm
ukdave104

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Still miss my D3 but prefer the D4 in a lot of ways. Only gripe at the moment is that the D4 isn't as economical as my old D3 even when driven in the same manner, some 5mpg less at the moment. Not sure if that will change as the miles get higher on the D4, D3 had 36,000 when I traded it, D4 has just clocked 10,000...

2014.5 Discovery 4 HSE in Corris Grey Metallic - arriving this week.
2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 TDV8, now departing
2012 Freelander HSE SD4 Auto - Mrs UkDave104's Toy.
2010 Discovery 4 XS - gone
2008 Discovery 3 HSE - gone
2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4 - gone

Post #81603711th Jul 2011 12:54 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

ukdave104 wrote:
Only gripe at the moment is that the D4 isn't as economical as my old D3 even when driven in the same manner, some 5mpg less at the moment.

I'm shocked! - Was your D3 quite a late model? I had a 05MY and there's no comparison... the D4 is massively more economical, even when a bit tight with just 3,000 miles on it?
Shocked

Post #81605011th Jul 2011 1:41 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I forgot to mention, one of the biggest "differences" I notice is the steering wheel radio controls. Why were they moved to the left when its my right hand thats always on the wheel?

Post #81605511th Jul 2011 1:53 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
I sincerely hope that...

LANDROVER MARKETING read this thread & note that even satsified (existing) customers aint satisfied:
Seats - uncomfortable
No grab Handles - critical kit for an off road 4x4
No Heated Rear Seats....is this just the SE or is this another redustion across the range
Center Dash....the original dash is indeed practical & easy to live with......its the first thing you look at whan you get in & must have cost a substantial amount to change....not a modification of the existing but a whole new cocpit module mould...(were talking £1m to £1.5 million per tool) & there has to be two (LHD + RHD) + the old tools have to be kept for spares.
dash Mats - again easy to live with...practical
Dash Readouts....hardly a cost down & it serves lttle pupose to chande.. a detail
Infortainment Controls...the FFRR only has touch screen buttons so whey the duplication doesnt make sense unless the HSE use a simplified radio - so then there are two or one set.
Off Road Controls...the original was a better arrangement
Ciggy Lighter...is there a power outlet in the middle console
Starter Button...if the vehcle is keyless then it makes sense to not have a igntion key hole..but at least the nearside door contingency keyhole is there - a life saver.
Cup holder....I'm still shocked at no curry hook
Ticket Holders....arent there but my 5 year lod HSE didnt have them either....can be broken if you arent carefull cleaning inside glass
Auto folding Mirrors....agreed should be able to choose what they do.
Door pocket bottle holders...wrong sixe isnt just inconvenient....bottle may leap out & get under feet & in way of pedals
Screen Washer Jets....maybe a Jaguar Carry over...but at least you can still wash fron & back screens at same time...a Landrover unique feature
Indicator Count....agreed should be able to do what you want...could be dangerous
Side Lights...not upgradable...maybe a sign of the times...coming to most cars
2nd Battery space .......will reduce sales for thos that need to fit by necessity

Bodywork....painted mudguards & wheels arches is one very badly thought out change...this is a 4x4, a working vehicle that may incurr the rough & tumble of country life....being painted will look really crummy in a few years.

I just wonder what marketing people are thinking about....certainly not the PAYING customer
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #81606211th Jul 2011 2:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >