Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

Life with my D4 v D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Life with my D4 v D3

Loved my D3, then after 6 years and 163k, I changed it for a new D4 “Landmark” edition.
So spec for spec it’s near identical to that of my old D3 “SE” model.
So how is it?
Yes, it’s a fantastic vehicle, a much better drive and more powerful, torquier engine and thoroughly deserving to be classed as a new model. I was sceptical [and annoyed at the beginning] thinking it was nothing but a facelifted D3 and didn’t deserve to be classed as a new model.
But, comparing it to my D3, there are some issues I’m not happy about on the D4 and reckon the D3 scores better.

Seats – uncomfortable and I get lower back pain on even short drives [my wife also suffers back pain - only on these seats].
But never had any issue with my D3 seats!

No Grab handles on front seats – have always found them most useful on the D3, but none on the D4

No Heated Rear Seats - Again I found useful in the D3, but sadly not fitted on my D4.

Centre Dash – Why did they have to change it? – the D3 was practical and could just have been updated using the same D4 ‘soft’ materials on the more recently styled D3 3 part ‘H’ trim.
It’s nice, but impractical and short of storage space versus the D3.
All there is are the 2 x cupholders , a little dinky cut out and a forward slot not deep enough for sunglasses etc. I really do miss the forward lower central section [between the cupholders & below the ashtray] of the D3.
Also, there’s no tray below the sat nav as there is on the D3 – I really miss that for coins for toll tunnels etc.

No Dash mats – There are no little rubber mats on the storage areas esp above glovebox.
Items put there slide about scraping the finish. I’ve had to make up my own non slip mats to prevent this. The D3 on the otherhand had all that covered.

Dash Readouts - Only single readout of mileage or trip mileage or average fuel etc – It’s either one or the other! eg I would like to be able to see at a single glance my mileage, average mpg and trip mileage. With the D4 you have to select just one visible reading.

Triplicate Infotainment Controls – Controls are on the screen, on the dash and on the steering wheel. A bit of overkill – why do I need them in triplicate especially when they’re all in easy reach.

Off Road Controls – Can’t see the point of them being moved forward [and taking up that valuable storage area], they were ideal where they were on the D3. Especially as most owners never take their vehicles off road and LR have gone down the ‘city’ look for the D4 [more about that later].

No Cigarette Lighter – I don’t smoke, never have done, but have always regarded a cigarette lighter as a necessity for one of mans most basic requirements – you never know when you need to set something alight!

Starter Button – what’s that all about! nothing but a gimmick! This aint some sports car.
[I see there’s also ‘Paddle Shift’ available on the 2012 spec]. Definitely not required on a 4 wheel drive machine and especially a Land Rover!! ... again LR pandering to the city/boy racer element.

Near Side Dash – What ....no slide out Cupholder on the D4!!! Very discreet and useful on the D3.

No ticket holders on internal A Pillars - Something I found very useful in the D3 [although they were deleted in later models].

Door card bottle holders – They’re SQUARE and too wide – what’s that all about? I’m having to pack my Sig bottle with a cloth to stop it rattling & flopping around. Never had that issue on my D3.

Auto Folding Mirrors – would like to be able to programme whether the mirrors fold or not ... by myself.

Screen washer jets – operate for a preselected amount of time, I’d rather control how much scoosh I want on the windscreen.

Indicator count – will flash for a pre selected amount of flashes, again I’d rather be in control of how many flashes I want to give!
eg. sometime’s I’d just like to give just one or two flashes in acknowledgement when pulling in after an overtake.

Side Lights – Although I’ve got Fairy Lights, there is no bulb/holder/connection on the side lights. The fairy lights aren’t bright enough IMO to replace the sidelight. This is something I’m going to have wired in when winter approaches.

No 2nd Battery space – The second battery box is now filled with brake servo plumbing meaning a 2nd battery cannot be fitted in this compartment. It’s not even useful for storage. I used to stow my compressor there in the D3 but even this wont fit in the D4 compartment.

Bodywork – It’s all colour coded paint, not very practical for an off road vehicle.
[and my 285/50 LTZ's don't fit without rubbing the chassis and bodywork !]

Overall conclusion on the D4 is that LR have obviously positioned it as more upmarket than the D3 and appear to be targeting the ‘City’ driver. Gone is the basic purposefulness of the D3 ie “it’s only got one side vent because that’s all it needs”, the practicality of plastic bumpers and arches etc...... gone!
IMO the D3 on launch had more impact and sense of purpose than the D4 on launch – but maybe that’s because I’d become accustomed to seeing the overall bodyshape.
Overall the D4 is a fantastic vehicle, but could share more of the practicalities of the D3.

Do I like my D4 ..….. Yes I do!

Do I miss my D3 …... Yes I do!
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #81269930th Jun 2011 6:53 pm
devonchilliman

England 

Give you £20 k for it ron Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter
 Www.devonchilliman.co.uk  
Post #81271030th Jun 2011 7:12 pm
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Ron

"Indicator count – will flash for a pre selected amount of flashes, again I’d rather be in control of how many flashes I want to give!
eg. sometime’s I’d just like to give just one or two flashes in acknowledgement when pulling in after an overtake."

On this point, on mine, if I just catch the indicator stalk it will flash four times and I can't cancel it. If I purposefully indicate (Pull/push the stalk until it clicks) I can cancel it after two flashes or leave it go indefinitely.

Bill Thumbs Up
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #81271330th Jun 2011 7:18 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 
Re: Life with my D4 v D3

ronp wrote:

Seats – uncomfortable and I get lower back pain on even short drives [my wife also suffers back pain - only on these seats].
But never had any issue with my D3 seats!

Find mine more comfortable

ronp wrote:
No Grab handles on front seats – have always found them most useful on the D3, but none on the D4

Also, there’s no tray below the sat nav as there is on the D3 – I really miss that for coins for toll tunnels etc.

Miss both of them

ronp wrote:
No Dash mats – There are no little rubber mats on the storage areas esp above glovebox.
Items put there slide about scraping the finish. I’ve had to make up my own non slip mats to prevent this. The D3 on the otherhand had all that covered.

A mat here would have been a good idea - I need to get something for mine

ronp wrote:
No Cigarette Lighter – I don’t smoke, never have done, but have always regarded a cigarette lighter as a necessity for one of mans most basic requirements – you never know when you need to set something alight!

£25 option IIRC to have the smokers pack - might be easy to fit it yourself though

ronp wrote:
Starter Button – what’s that all about! nothing but a gimmick!

I quite like it especially with the keyless entry

ronp wrote:
No ticket holders on internal A Pillars - Something I found very useful in the D3 [although they were deleted in later models].

They do fit though as the bracket is still on the inside of the a pillar trims - took mine out of my last D3 (as I did the previous D3) and they are now fitted to the D4

ronp wrote:
Auto Folding Mirrors – would like to be able to programme whether the mirrors fold or not ... by myself.

Doesn't bother me but IIRC you can alter them so that they don't fold automatically via the car settings - can't check as my D4 has been at the dealers having a new wiring loom fitted for the surround cameras since Tuesday.

Post #81272330th Jun 2011 7:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jim1000

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Funny. I have an old D3. HSE so it's real nice but I always tell my wife if I won the lottery I'd go straight out and buy a brand new top range D4. Love the more upmarket feel of the controls and would like new drive and engine.

But... It looks a bit 'middle class mum' somehow and lost some of it's visual growl. Also. I just love the rubber matted shelf below the nav screen, the endless pockets and great side pocket bottle holders etc etc.

Maybe after reading this. Upon winning the EuroMillions this weekend, instead I'll buy a top spec late model D3 and just remap it and top it up with every other conceivable extra I can think of. If there are any! Maybe add the supercharged grill as well as well as that is nice. Very Happy

Post #81272730th Jun 2011 7:45 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

ronp wrote:

Centre Dash

On my D4 there is a retractable draw under the heater controls for coins etc Thumbs Up

Post #81273230th Jun 2011 7:58 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Interesting read Ron.......more so because you have had yours for a while and so are in the enviable position to make comments based on experience.
I seem to remember Fifth gear doing a comparison between the Landcruiser and the ( then) new D4...the timed off-road course sticks in my mind because the Toyota was "quicker" Shocked ........the conclusion was,while the D4 was actually a superior off-road car..the new luxury feel (and price tag to match)made them far more reluctant to take liberties with the D4 in the muddy stuff.
Perhaps us lesser mortals with plastic-bumpered D3's should cast slightly less envious glances at D4's.....

...or maybe not..... Wink
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #81273630th Jun 2011 8:09 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Imho the D4 is positioned to close to the RRS. Should have kept some of the D3 specs and position it well below the RRS.
But possibly the first step into melting the Disco and Sport into a new modell?
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #81274230th Jun 2011 8:19 pm
devonchilliman

England 

Ron....

What are the ticket holders on the pillars ?
 Www.devonchilliman.co.uk  
Post #81274330th Jun 2011 8:20 pm
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

Read it all Ron and brave of you to document your personal and emotional feelings.

Brought a tear to my eye.

I hope you feel better soon and this starts the healing process Big Cry
 SOLD - 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE  
Post #81274530th Jun 2011 8:22 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

These are the ticket holders - pics from my old D3, when I get my D4 back I'll post a pic of them fitted to the D4.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #81274630th Jun 2011 8:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
biskit

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had a ticket holder in an old 740 Volvo, very useful, anybody know if you can still buy them. Question

Post #81274930th Jun 2011 8:44 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Hairy Dan wrote:

On my D4 there is a retractable draw under the heater controls for coins etc Thumbs Up

Takes a bit of finding... had the car for a couple of weeks before I found it....
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #81275030th Jun 2011 8:45 pm
mzplcg

England 

ronp wrote:
[I see there’s also ‘Paddle Shift’ available on the 2012 spec]. Definitely not required on a 4 wheel drive machine and especially a Land Rover!! ... again LR pandering to the city/boy racer element.

Not when you consider that the old gear lever will be replaced with the round pop-up affair, a-la Jag XF and therefore the command shift function moves up to the paddles. Thumbs Up

Post #81275130th Jun 2011 8:46 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

biskit wrote:
I had a ticket holder in an old 740 Volvo, very useful, anybody know if you can still buy them. Question

lancsamb wrote:

The part number if you call your local volvo dealer is 8616658, part name is ticket clip

was also posted that they cost £2.99 each but that was a few years ago

Post #81275330th Jun 2011 8:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >