DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Lights and CCF confusion!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
scarecrow

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Lights and CCF confusion!

Hi All,

I’ve just upgraded to a 2013 model HSE D4 after some kind soul wrote off my D3 for me. But I’m mightily confused about what lights I have fitted and am hoping somebody can assist!

I noticed the “fairy light” DRLs only came on with the light switch actually on, and they seem to be the only side lights, so I looked in the CCF and found the following:

DRL Standard: Inactive
DRL Canadian: Disabled
DRL Scandinavian: Disabled

Cornering Lamps 1/2: No
Adaptive Front Lighting System: Not Fitted

Auto High Beam 1: Not Fitted
Auto High Beam 2: Disabled
Auto High Beam 3: Rest of World

The first block of settings I think I understand - previous owner didn’t like DRLs and turned them off. Assume I can re-enable with GAP, but do I need to just enable Standard or choose Canadian/Scandinavian as well?

The second block I’m less sure of. I have BiXenon lights and I thought they came with Adaptive and Cornering lights. Is that not so, and how do I tell what I have? Is there a label on the light units?

And for the third block, what are Auto High Beam 1/2/3 and do those readouts mean I can enable them?

I’ve never edited the CCF before and would prefer only to have to do it once for the sake of my nerves, so would like to know in advance whether some of these settings are best left alone!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Post #225659911th Oct 2021 10:11 pm
darrind

Hi Chris

unless the lights are the last style D4 lights, the DRL isnt fitted, the Fairy lights are actually the sidelights, and only work as such rather than DRLs

If you wanted DRLs on that model year they were available as a lower front bumper mounted pair of straight line DRLs and were a dealer fitted option - it was only the last headlights that had inbuilt DRLs, however they no longer then have a separate high beam light and purely work with the shutter operating the switch over from dipped to main so you gain the DRL function but the actual lights are no where near as good for lighting the way!
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #225661011th Oct 2021 11:31 pm
scarecrow

Hi Darrind,

Thanks for the reply! If I read that correctly, the best thing to do is leave everything alone in the DRL settings and just turn the sidelights on if I want daytime lights. Which I do, given that the driver who wrote off my D3 apparently couldn’t see 2.7 tons of Discovery in broad daylight and just pulled out…

I’ve been doing some googling and it seems my assumption that all BiXenons had Adaptive/cornering lights was wrong, and that auto high beam needs a specific rear view mirror. So editing the CCF would achieve nothing. Pity, but at least it saves the cost of a CTEK and the worry of bricking my ECU!

Thanks again,

Chris

Post #225661311th Oct 2021 11:42 pm
Gadgetnut

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Have a look at this post

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/d4-fairy-li...41032.html

It explains (with the aid of a couple of wires) how to keep the fairy lights (and rear lights) on all the time.

I have added an inline switch in the glovebox to enable / disable this as required.

I would also suggest the use of piggyback fuse cables as it makes the job a lot easier.
 D1 3Door (White) Long gone
D1 3 Door (Red) Long gone
D2 5 Door (Charleston Green) Long gone
D4 HSE (Black) 

Post #225661912th Oct 2021 5:00 am
scarecrow

Thanks Gadgetnut! Very long threads but boils down to a very simple mod. I didn’t know about the pollution sensor connector that’s handy. Having the rears on too would be my preference - never understood why you’d want to be visible from one end only.

Post #225664112th Oct 2021 8:57 am
ChrisDK

Denmark 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

As I live in Denmark my lights are set to Scandinavian, it means that when the light switch is set to AUTO the front lights and sidelights(fairy lights) are always on also the back lights.

Hope that helps.

Post #225730116th Oct 2021 5:58 pm
UROMP

Wales 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

This is what I found on another forum

2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black
Hi,

This is a extract from a reply I added to a Post Previous. Just as Reference have gone into the CCF files and there are three options listed for DRL's on my car a MY13 A/B 5.0L S/C.

1. DRL Standard
2. Scandinavian
3. Canadian

I activated Standard and all that did was give me two Fault Codes B124A-15 and B124B-15 which are Left and Right Daytime Running Light open Circuit but no working DRL's so it may be when you have either DRL lamp kit VPLSV0064 or 65 fitted you may have to activate this but that is purely a guess. By the way those kit's are over �400.00

De-activated that and then activated Canadian and what that did was nothing with ignition on and Engine Running, however when you engage Drive and let the Park Brake Off it Switched Front and Rear Side Lights and Dipped Headlights On, as soon as you apply P/B and take it out of Drive It switches them Back Off.

Again De-activated that and Activated Scandinavian and what that did was as soon as you Start Engine it Switched on Front and Rear Sidelights and Dipped Headlights. (Muddy was correct there).

There is no facility that I could find to just activate the Front Fairy Lights on there own as DRL's.

I hope that all makes some kind of sense.

Cheers
Col

Post #235338117th Nov 2023 4:38 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

ChrisDK wrote:
As I live in Denmark my lights are set to Scandinavian, it means that when the light switch is set to AUTO the front lights and sidelights(fairy lights) are always on also the back lights.

Hope that helps.

IIRC "Canadian" is then front lights only ?

edit:
erm ... should read to end !

UROMP wrote:

De-activated that and then activated Canadian and what that did was nothing with ignition on and Engine Running, however when you engage Drive and let the Park Brake Off it Switched Front and Rear Side Lights and Dipped Headlights On, as soon as you apply P/B and take it out of Drive It switches them Back Off.

Post #235338517th Nov 2023 5:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >