Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Limp Mode Transmission Fault Warning Message
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jcruicks1707

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Limp Mode Transmission Fault Warning Message

Apologies in advance as this subject seems to be well discussed, my issue has a slight twist to it.

Driving around town the warning lights ping on with a transmission fault message and limp mode is engaged all pretty standard stuff. Garage re-set and changed a fuel filter and warned fuel pump may be faulty.

Today I drove 120 miles at 80mph and all was fine. Car sat for 4 hours and on the return journey the fault re-appeared after 20 mins of non motorway driving. Re-set by switching off and on and drove at 50-70mph and had to re-set the car 16 times!

So decided to increase speed to 80mph and everything was fine, engine had full power.

Previous posts have discussed loss of power on hard acceleration and all ok with normal driving, my issue appears to be the opposite.

All advice and suggestions would be appreciated as it will go to garage to be repaired.

Car is 07 with 107k and fsh.

Post #20599159th Jun 2019 7:44 pm
Dazz360

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

What are the fault codes saying, saves guessing
 Metal auto sump & fluid change (3 hrs)
LR door puddle projectors (10 mins)
Tinted Bonnet wind deflector (10 mins)
All Intercooler pipes and Tbolts (2hrs)
3 injectors replaced so far (30mins)
Sunroof drain pipes both sides 2.5 hrs)
Rear discs, shoes,pads,callipers,flexi hoses, rigid brake line, n/s upper hub carrier bush and rear n/s upper arm (13hrs over 2 days) 

Post #20599429th Jun 2019 9:06 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Maybe 5th gear is bad
And doing 80 ensures it’s in 6th

Post #20599629th Jun 2019 9:59 pm
Jcruicks1707

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for the replies.

No access to numerical fault codes just Transmission fault message on dash display and warning lights confirming suspension dropped.

Also got a Park Brake fault message.

For the majority of the-sets on Motorway I just switched off engine, engaged neutral coasted and re-started.

Good shout re 5th gear, after leaving motorway the car did shift through all the gears though, I did a few checks in Sport and Manual mode.

Post #206000910th Jun 2019 9:21 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Arh ok.

If you are also getting suspension drop and EPB fault, I would guess that is some sort of can bus fault.

So hopefully the gearbox is ok, but can bus faults can be difficult to locate.

CAn bus wires and the twisted yellow wires that run round the car including under the rear of the car.
You could have a look under the rear left side to ensure these yellow wires aren't rubbing on sharp metal work.

Hopefully mike can give you some pointers, or book it into a good landrvoer indy to get the fault codes read.

As you say, it could well be fuel related

Post #206005710th Jun 2019 12:07 pm
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Hi from Oz,
We have just completed a 6 month trip and 4 weeks into trip experienced the same problems, at first some one after another and then to a lesser extent but culminated in 42 times in 400 kms on the home run.
I ran my faultmate and the codes I got related to a number of faults but after I did a daily fault reading the common and ultimately only fault was "low fuel rail oressure" and "low injector pressure"

My immediate thought was the fuel rail sensor as we had a good run for around 2000 kms where it ran well so my thinking at that time was the ECM was getting the wrong messages from the sensor.

It wasn't until I returned to Perth and I had access to my "shed" and time that I was able to further investigate the problem.
First port of call was the LPFP flow and power draw, they appear to be fine, then the MAF and MAP sensors, the MAF was clean but the MAP was totally choked up with carbon, that was replaced...........the end result of that was a 98% fix so my assumption may have been correct, ECM not getting the correct information to load the required fuel.
Now the problem does exist but perhaps once a week or so, and I think when I am low on fuel.
My thinking now is eliminate all the cheaper fixes before accepting the replacement of the HPFP, $3000 AUD.
I have determined that the fuel rail pressure is OK (via live feed from my ultragauge) and the HPFP appears to be doing its job therefore my next thought is the LPFP which is now 10 years old may have a blocked filter.
Later this week I will remove the fuel tank and have a look.

Will post the result.

Hope that this information will help.

Cheers
RichardK
 2009 Discovery S 3, BAS tune, EGR Delete, ARB winch bar, Milemarker hyd winch, HF and UHF radios, Rear spare wheel carrier, Roof rack,
Touring: Australian Offroad Matrix IV Camper 

Post #206029111th Jun 2019 8:39 am
nastorg

France 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

hi,
Same problem for me
Was it the LPFP Richard K ?

Post #207254131st Jul 2019 2:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >