Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

A few little niggles.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
heyho

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
A few little niggles.

I've a 56 plate D3 HSE auto (140k miles) which has a few 'niggles' plus I have a wife that doesnt understand that that you have to spend money on cars like this (but does know how to spend money on clothes lol). Ok so my niggles are and I ask advice on some please:

(1) Air con leak at rear pipe entrance to rear air con unit. Read thread on here and am going to attempt to blank it

(2) Boot door not opening. Well it does with the lock/unlock trick (and a 2nd person) and also very occasionally with the remote. Read the thread on here. Is it still likely to be the mechanism seeing as it does, on occasion, open by itself?

(3) Noise when I steer right - a dull wow, wow, wow, wow. Had it checked twice at an indie garage (that I trust impeccably) and who has said they think it is a bearing that is on its way out but live with it.

(4) And finally my biggest concern is the noise on changing gear (hard to describe but I liken it to a quite high pitch microsync/mesh noise). Gear changes are smooth though and never miss. Is this likely to be transmission fluid and if so what the procedure (cost) to get it done at an indie.

Sorry for putting a load together and also if you think I'm talking c**p on my assumptions. Need to weigh up how much the above is going to cost to resolve against seriously considering getting rid (Sadly).

Post #20739386th Aug 2019 12:01 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If you are mechanically minded and have the tools, all of what you indicate can be done DIY for the cost of parts other than the regas of the air con

Post #207486410th Aug 2019 7:10 am
jaws_172

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 3

As above, most of it can be done yourself with the correct tools. There’s loads of knowledge info about on the forum if you do a search you’ll find guys that have made really clear instructions and if you get stuck there’s normally someone about that can help with advice.
 05 D3 S - Gone but never forgotten
EGRs blanked
19” HSE wheels
Prospeed mk1 roof basket
Front runner rear ladder
06 D3 HSE- Sold
GAP IID Tool
"In my defence I was left unsupervised" 

Post #207489110th Aug 2019 9:34 am
heyho

Cheers for the replies. Starting with the air con this week (blanking part ordered). i will see how I get on.

Post #207542012th Aug 2019 10:38 am
heyho

jaws_172 wrote:
As above, most of it can be done yourself with the correct tools. There’s loads of knowledge info about on the forum if you do a search you’ll find guys that have made really clear instructions and if you get stuck there’s normally someone about that can help with advice.

Would anyone with more mechanical abilities than me (which should be the vast majority of you) point the finger at the front diff bearings regarding the wow wow wow noise which is getting more prominent now mainly when turning in either direction (although louder when turning right)? Accompanied with this is a quite prominent judder (steering wheel) at around 55mph but this issue coincided with having all four tyres replaced.

And if so would the recommendation be to get a recon unit and replace it?

Reason I am asking is that coupled with this I am considering a mega flush or gearbox oil replacement to see if it sort sorts out that issue but to get both completed (plus getting a full wheel alignment done) is going to cost £1250+ I reckon and is a 2006 HSE otherwise in excellent condition (including just had 4 new tyres) worth that investment or do I think about shelling out £5k and p/x it (which actually I cant really afford at the moment).

Swings and roundabouts but your feedback is always welcome

Post #207891328th Aug 2019 8:42 am
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

The wow, wow,wow sounds like a wheel bearing and I think can be replaced a unit rather than just the bearing. Much easier!

Post #207891628th Aug 2019 9:10 am
heyho

That sounds promising (and much cheaper) to replace the wheel bearings (both sides).

On the question of megaflush if I am taking my car in to have the wheel bearings done would it be better to get them to fit a gearbox sump pan filter and oil kit seeing as they will have the care up on ramps. Nothing in the price but the argument is megaflush v sump/filter/oil replacement

Post #207892228th Aug 2019 9:57 am
Dazz360

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I’m guessing the car has the original plastic sump, as mine did so I changed it for a britpart metal and separate filter then changed the fluid myself by buying 10 litres of manol off fleebay for £50 and pumped it through the system with a 12v oil pump. I know I haven’t changed as much as a mega flush but at that price I’m happy to do it again in 6 months and so on till it’s diluted out
 Metal auto sump & fluid change (3 hrs)
LR door puddle projectors (10 mins)
Tinted Bonnet wind deflector (10 mins)
All Intercooler pipes and Tbolts (2hrs)
3 injectors replaced so far (30mins)
Sunroof drain pipes both sides 2.5 hrs)
Rear discs, shoes,pads,callipers,flexi hoses, rigid brake line, n/s upper hub carrier bush and rear n/s upper arm (13hrs over 2 days) 

Post #207911128th Aug 2019 10:18 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Did your metal sump seal ok? I have heard that they dont seal properly

Post #207913929th Aug 2019 6:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >