Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

Locking without alarm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
chex

why not just use the unlock button on the key?

Post #4800816th Mar 2006 2:08 am
IanD

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

chex wrote:
why not just use the unlock button on the key?

Because I'm trying to lock the car, not unlock it! (or is there some trick I don't know?)

I understand about normal locking and superlocking, and disabling the movement/tilt sensors, but would like to know if you can lock the car without the alarm being activated at all, and without dismantling the door handle to get at the key hole.

Post #4803816th Mar 2006 9:28 am
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Superlocking - Fuel Door Locking

On this Superlocking Issue, has anyone noticed that their fuel door doesn't lock?

I have been trying to get the dealer to fix it, but they seem to ignore it?

I have even had a look at a Loan Car the dealer has given me and the fuel door doesn't lock either. Rolling Eyes

Post #4869320th Mar 2006 4:54 am
grommet

United States 

Check to see if you even have the locking pin mechanism inside the fuel door compartment. In North America, we don't get it on either Disco 3 (LR3) or Range Rover Sport... But I assume Australia does have it. So, get them to fix it!

Post #4869420th Mar 2006 5:09 am
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Super Locking - Fuel Door

The place where it looks like it is supposed to be, it isn't.

Looks like it's back to the dealer we go!

Post #4869520th Mar 2006 5:21 am
Matt.y

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

As this post is in the tips & tricks section but does not seem to even slightly contain any tips reference the original question I am going to answer it even though months have now passed.

My alarm is causing problems and according to the dealer requires a new sensor or something for the rear near side door. Any way, the dealers suggested method of locking the car without the alarm sounding for the next two weeks ( the length of time it takes to get the part and a time slot available to fit it!!) is to exit the vehicle, walk arround to the front passenger door, open said door, reach in and press the lock button on the dash bellow the satnav screen and then close the passenger door.

So far this has stopped all the false alarms.

Post #7343127th Jul 2006 10:25 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 
Re: Locking without alarm

IanD wrote:
We have a problem with the alarm at the moment, and the thing goes off almost every time, about 1/2 hour to 2 hours after the car is parked. It will get fixed, but in the meantime it's driving us nuts!
Incidentally, the hazards don't flash when the alarm goes off either, is this normal? (perhaps they're frightened of making more noise than the alarm Wink)

De you mean you can actually HEAR your alarm Shocked

Does your horn sound or something? About the only way you can hear the alarm on my car is to be sat inside it when the alarm goes off - it's pathetic!

Incidentally you could try this if you're desperate (copied from the Handbook for 2007 models but AFAIK alarm system is identical)

Partial arming
If an aperture (door, bonnet or tailgate) is not fully closed when the remote control lock
button is pressed, the horn will sound briefly to signal that an aperture is still open. The alarm will remain disarmed, but all of the closed apertures will lock.
As soon as the open aperture is fully closed, the system will automatically arm, signalled by three flashes of the hazard warning lamps, with interior space protection activating 30 seconds later.
Note: The vehicle will not superlock if an aperture (other than the bonnet) is open.

I can vouch for the fact that all the doors do lock, even when one is only shut as far as the first latch.
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #7344427th Jul 2006 11:27 am
IanD

Matt.y wrote:
exit the vehicle, walk arround to the front passenger door, open said door, reach in and press the lock button on the dash bellow the satnav screen and then close the passenger door.

Thanks Matt; that is, as you said, the first sensible suggestion since I posted the question! Is the passenger door then locked automatically when you close it?

Allbourneboy: Hear the alarm???!!! don't be silly Wink

It's not a problem of partial arming and horn sounding either, since when the alarm goes off, it's just the "sounder" - no hazards, no signal when you disarm that something untoward has happened while you've been away.

Since the car was being exchanged for another one anyway (next Monday Smile) ) I gave up trying to get to the bottom of the problem. It seemed to be related to doing something the poor D3 thought was "unusual", like starting the engine before the bong, driving off-road (!) or driving a much longer distance in one go than we had before (!! - the car nearly got towed away in Holland when we went to visit a friend there). We just gave up on the problem and locked it with the key when we thought the alarm might go off unnecessarily.

Post #7346027th Jul 2006 12:24 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Might be a bit late, but the alarm problem could be related to a mis - build of some European spec. vehicles, the LIN timing to the sounder causes it to activate, there's a TSB relating to it, been out a while....

Post #7347527th Jul 2006 1:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IanD

Ah ha!!!

Thanks, it could be that - it wouldn't be the only misbuild issue ...

I could even suggest the solution on Monday!

Post #7349327th Jul 2006 1:30 pm
10forcash

TSB LA419-004V2
"This bulletin supersedes TSB LA419-004/2006 dated 27 January, which should either be destroyed or clearly marked to show it is no longer valid (e.g. with a line across the page).

Subject/Concern: Discovery 3/LR3 - Battery Back-up Sounder

Models:
Discovery 3 / LR3 Vin range: 5A000318-6A389525

Markets: Belgium and Netherlands

Section: 419-01

Summary:
A customer may report a concern that the vehicle alarm sounds with no theft attempt.

This bulletin has been re-issued to include a closing VIN.

Cause: Some vehicles have been built with an incorrect battery back up sounder (BBUS), or the unit has not been installed, or the correct unit is installed but there is a control module software error. The central junction box (CJB) is not recognizing the signal 'heartbeat' from the BBUS that incorporates the alarm tilt sensor. When the vehicle is locked, the incorrect or missing signal from the BBUS is seen as a theft attempt by the CJB and triggers the alarm.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin."

Post #7349627th Jul 2006 1:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

simon wrote:
Fair enough... shall I press the triangle and complain about myself

Ah, wondereed what these red triangle thingys were for. My life is more complete (especially since its knocking off time for the weekend!).

Post #7350027th Jul 2006 1:44 pm
IanD

Et voila!:
10forcash wrote:
Vin range: 5A000318-6A389525

6A37xxxx

10forcash wrote:
Markets: Belgium and Netherlands

and France ? ...

Thanks - I knew we'd get to the bottom of it in the end, but why is it so random (how long is a piece of string, etc. etc.)?

Post #7350627th Jul 2006 2:05 pm
10forcash

Maybe your dealer nipped across the border and borrowed one?

Post #7351027th Jul 2006 2:22 pm
IanD

It was a little more complicated than that, or simpler, depending on how you look at it!

Isn't it always like that with a D3

Post #7351427th Jul 2006 2:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >