Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

How long do suspension bushes last?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mwhwsmith

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
How long do suspension bushes last?

Car went in for a service and the dealer reported a knocking from the suspension (I hadn't noticed it before) that is caused due to the bushes. The car has done approx 47k miles - all on-road. Looks like I need new suspension arms or the bushes replacing.

I'm curious if this is typical or if they have worn out rather rapidly.

Thanks

Post #141079819th Jan 2015 11:07 pm
Ian Donkin

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Our lower front wishbones were done last week - 57k. Big improvement since they were done Thumbs Up

Post #141085420th Jan 2015 12:23 am
d.lundigan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

That's less than the D3 isn't it. Had mine done at 100,000 miles well 104 to be exact. Cheap parts spring to mind or maybe I was lucky

Post #141086220th Jan 2015 12:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jakeboy

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Mine went at 58K. Fairly typical problem with plenty of related posts on here and with a multitude of failure durations quoted.

Quality aftermarket replacements are readily available (See sponsor Steve @ Advanced Factors), which may be a much cheaper option if you get them fitted by a local Indy, rather than the stealer
Most feel it is quicker and easier to replace whole arms, rather than re-bush the existing ones. Thumbs Up

Post #141086320th Jan 2015 1:14 am
mwhwsmith

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I feel slight better about it then - it seems like I'm the low end of normal.

Is there any advantage to replacing the whole arms rather than just the bushes? I realize it's cheaper to do the bushes (even if it takes longer) but is there any other reason why I would have the cheaper slower job done?

Thanks

Post #141086420th Jan 2015 1:28 am
Jakeboy

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

You don't mention which bushes are shot but it is usually the front lowers that fail onthe D3/4. The general experience is that at least one of the cam bolts that hold the arms onto the car and upon which the arms/bushes should pivot, are seized - and I mean seized!

Given the relatively palatable cost of 2 new,(aftermarket) arms c/w 2 off bushes and 1 off ball joint alread inserted (circa £220 - £240 IIRC), forum members experience leads many to the opinion that rather than spending time with grinders or reciprocting hacksaws, cutting off the offending bolt(s) and trying not to damage the arm in the process, it is much less hassle just to sacrifice the arm.

It is first roughly cut off, to allow much improved access to the ceased bolt(s) with a 9" angle grinder which in turn, makes light work of the bolt and remaining section of arm/bush. The replacement arms C/W new bushes are then simply lifted back into place and secured by 2 off new cam bolts, with a liberal smearing of copper grease to prevent future ceasing, and the new lower ball joint.

Of course, there is no reason why you shouldn't cut off the bolts carefully and re-bush the arms if you so desire. It will be slightly cheaper but as you state, will take longer which means more labour cost, whether at the stealers or an indy? I did consider it but opted for complete new arms fitted with bushes which, having done the job myself, I feel was absolutely the right way to go.
More expensive parts cost but reduced labour time, versus cheaper parts cost and increased labour time ? Down to personal choice really as either way is acceptable.

Remember, regardless of which option you choose, you will also need 4x4 alignment done afterwards.

Hope this helps but do check out the various write-ups on this, via the Search button, to get an appreciation of the usual work involved and the general consensus of methodology. Thumbs Up

Post #141086720th Jan 2015 2:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >