Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Looking for definitive euro guide - can you help?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
WINDSWEPTISLANDER

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 3
Looking for definitive euro guide - can you help?

Hi Folks
Last year my wife and I embarked on an American road trip, we took a hire car from Colorado to San Francisco, through Moab and Yosemite, and had a brilliant time. Having missed our D3 for the drive though, and having had enough of American border control we decided to holiday in Europe this year.

Previous experience (defender not disco) dictates that proper, full repat breakdown insurance is a must, any reccomendations?

Also, trawling through this forum there is obviously a wealth of experience, I wonder if anybody has the time or the inclination to write a difinitive guide?

Info like where to find inexpensive accomodation? We plan to camp, is wild camping an option? What do I need to bring, Bulbs? Extinguishers?

We're not planning to take a tintent, we will be arriving in Amsterdam via Newcastle and depending on how the mood takes us we may visit / pass through Netherlands, Czech Republic, Sovenia, Ialy, Switzerland, Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium...

What satnav to use?

Any reccomendations on which of the above to visit also greatly appreciated, keen on the Alps in particular.

I've been to Iceland a couple of times and loved the tracks there. Anything similar to be expected in Europe?

I was going to pay for a guided tour, but was too late, maybe next year.

All info from experienced travellers much appreciated Bow down

Post #9385134th Jun 2012 2:26 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

SatNav - TomTom; or think about an Android Tablet or Phablet with free GPS & Mapping programs such as:-

Motorola Xoom - tablet; or

One of the Samsung Range of 'phones, Galaxy S3, Note etc..

Don't be tempted by Apple Whistle with its proprietary Operating System.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #9385234th Jun 2012 2:58 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Looking for definitive euro guide - can you help?

WINDSWEPTISLANDER wrote:
I wonder if anybody has the time or the inclination to write a difinitive guide?

There can be no such thing. Every country has its own legislation. This year, France is changing rules concerning speed trap warnings and breathalyzers, next year probably Spain, Switzerland or Sweden... In my experience, the caravanclub sites give you great information about rules per country. Even though you are not taking a tintent with you, these websites may be a help.

I have travelled though NL, Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany, France and Italy using the LR satnav with no problems at all. Although it receives many complaints on here, none of them is mine. I'm not saying it is the best system out there, but it does what is needed for me.

You are listing about half of Europe, different kinds of countries. I'd suggest you tell us what you are looking for and no doubt people will tell you where to find it. Starting with the Alps, you will find them in Southern Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and France... but I guess that's no news? Laughing Whistle .

Regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #9386254th Jun 2012 9:44 pm
WINDSWEPTISLANDER

Quote:
there can be no such thing

Ah, you can't put a price on experience

Thanks for the responses, what we enjoy on holiday is usually a fair bit of walking, a bit of culture, some magnificent landscapes and something we haven't done before. Loved Iceland with their unsurfaced roads, deserts and river fordings, magnificent waterfalls and hot springs. should I expect any of that in Europe? I suspect not.
I do tend to be over ambitious in my itineraries. That's a bit of why I've planned a sort of loop, leaving in the ability to shorten it if (when) the need arises.
As to the Sat Nav, I would happily use the Land Rover system, but so far as I can tell my one doesn't cover Europe, just the UK, I got a bit of a surprise when I looked into the price of an up to date Europe disk. Buying a tom tom on Ebay and then flogging it seemed like a cheaper option.

I understand what you're saying about changing laws etc, I guess that's partly why info is so hard to come by. I had thought that perhaps i.e Halfords would have a facility where you put in your vehicle make/model and it gives you a list of essential items depending on what country(ies) you're visiting.

On the other hand, I have driven through/round both Norway and Iceland on several occasions with no extra kit than just a GB sticker, if you're not speeding just how likely are you to get pulled over? Is anybody aware of a travel company that will help you get sorted with what you need to stay leagal beforehend?

Probably very elimentary questions I know Embarassed but I haven't found anybody in Shetland with much experience of taking their car to Europe.

Just arrived through the post: the 'lonely planet' guide to each of these countries, some bedtime reading methinks.

Post #9386685th Jun 2012 8:55 am
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Whereas wild camping is acceptable in the Scandinavian countries in Eastern Europe it is basically a no no. Ex communist countries.

We have used various GPS systems and Garmins are much more reliable then Tom Toms.

Ipadsor Xplore tough books are Thumbs Up

Brendan

Post #9386995th Jun 2012 10:50 am
muddywheels4wd

England 

Tripadviser, camping & caravan club and caravan club as mentioned are good sources of info Thumbs Up

I have driven through Europe in a disco and jag but found garmin better than oem systems Bow down

I use an iPad to store info for my trips and look for free wifi abroad to avoid roaming charges Very Happy

I would avoid wild camping in light of stories of robbery and worse - stick to areas with people Shocked

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/planning-your...uirements/

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk...campsites/
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #9387035th Jun 2012 11:10 am
WINDSWEPTISLANDER

Right, garmin seem to get the vote, so that's one of them ordered.

Quote:
I use an iPad to store info for my trips and look for free wifi abroad to avoid roaming charges

I did a similar thing in America with the macbook, sometimes I would go into a motel and ask the price, go outside, log onto their wifi, get the room cheaper and send my wife in saying 'I have a reservation' we did get a few funy looks but saved a small fortune over the three week holiday.

Quote:
I would avoid wild camping in light of stories of robbery and worse - stick to areas with people

Hadn't even thought of that Shocked never even occured to me until you mentioned it.

Thanks too for the caravaning websites, I will have a careful trawl through these, interestingly none of them mention needing a spare bulb kit, which is something I remember my grandad having when I was just a boy because 'it was the law in France'

Does look like these have just about all the info I will need thoug, so thanks again for that Thumbs Up

Any and all advice still greatfully recieved, Bow down anybody got breakdown cover experience? Good or otherways.

Post #9387195th Jun 2012 12:17 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

Been a lot of stories of vanners being knocked out with gas through vents and waking up to find everything gone especially in picnic/rest areas Shocked
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #9387245th Jun 2012 12:23 pm
WINDSWEPTISLANDER

muddywheels4wd wrote:
Been a lot of stories of vanners being knocked out with gas through vents and waking up to find everything gone especially in picnic/rest areas Shocked

Shocked

That does not make me feel safe, and we're planning on tenting Shocked Shocked

Should this post be changed to 'How to stay safe camping in Europe'

I'll need to find somewhere really safe to hide the keys when sleeping, I'll maybe take a gas alarm with me...

Post #9387655th Jun 2012 1:57 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/planning-your...-security/

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk...ng-abroad/

Worth a read Thumbs Up

Post #9387685th Jun 2012 2:01 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

WINDSWEPTISLANDER wrote:
muddywheels4wd wrote:

Shocked

That does not make me feel safe, and we're planning on tenting Shocked Shocked

Should this post be changed to 'How to stay safe camping in Europe'

I'll need to find somewhere really safe to hide the keys when sleeping, I'll maybe take a gas alarm with me...

Gas alarm is not a bad idea, I recently bought one for use in the caravan. Still have to mount it though.

As muddywheels says, stick to places with people. Camp sites are usually closed (with fences) during the night... That is not because someone will steal the trees Very Happy . If you go and look for them, there are numerous stories of people getting robbed but many more that don't write down they werent robbed.

Btw I got warned that in France, people will throw an egg onto your windscreen from a bridge or similar. You will use the wipers which will turn your windscreen into a blind. You will stop at the next exit and... Get robbed obviously. Hope it helps somebody.

Regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #9388795th Jun 2012 7:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >