Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Loss of power, code P120F
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lad

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Loss of power, code P120F

Before I go any further may I say sorry as this topic is to do with a RRS TDV6 BUT has the same fault has MY disco Embarassed

My firend is an Audi tech but his friend has this RRS and it has started to lose power while driving, ie overtaking, you can pull over and wait 1/2 a minute and then set off again and its ok for 5mins then it does it again. He has asked him to look at it. He plugged in his diagnostic device in and it came back with P2290. Mine keeps showing this, and he asked me if I knew what it was, which is low fuel pressure, but told him to change the fuel filter as this sometimes cures it. He has changed it and the fault is still there along with the code P2290, but, a new code has appeared P120F, he doesn't know what it is but his diagnostic kit says its to do with a FUP sensor. I have searched for FUP sensor and the code on here but did not find anything. Does anyone know what it could be?
When he as been out on a test there is no black smoke, so hoses should be ok. (?)

I'm asking this because my landy does the same, not every 5 mins, but comes up with p2290 and has been into the delaers and they dont know what is up with it. It hasn't shown P120F. Mine as been ok for 2 months (no fault) but only last week it did it again. If anyone does know, it may help me out too, as mine might get like this but I'd like to sort it before it does.
Its an RRS 06 TDV6, we are not sure if the software is up to date, and he doesn't think its been remapped as he says it slow. I dont think its been bought from a dealer and I think it may be over 3 years old now!
Thanks

Post #55607725th Nov 2009 2:50 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Definitely a fuel pressure problem.

You mention that the fuel filter was changed, but the fault is still there......has the symptom (i.e. loss of power) been solved by changing the fuel filter or is it still suffering?

You don't mention it, but I assume that the DTCs were cleared after changing the filter?

Have either cars been affected by the P008 high-pressure fuel pump recall? ISTR that this involved one of the bearings failing with a subsequent leakage (loss of pressure??) of fuel.

Cheers,
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #55608225th Nov 2009 2:59 pm
lad

Sorry paul, the fault is still there after changing the filter, ie loss of power, the codes where cleared too. To my knowledge mine has not been recalled for the pump and I dont know if the RRS has been too. Could I ring my dealer and find out as I have an exteneded warranty with mine?

I bought mine last year, and it was just 3 years old then.

Ta

Post #55608425th Nov 2009 3:04 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Agree with PaulP above

Some other simple things to try, which whilst perhaps not the main problem, might be creating secondary effect:

1. Check the air filter - service schedule states change every 3yrs/45k miles - not enough IMHO, i change mine every 15k miles regardless!

2. Put some fuel additive in to see if the cleaning action improves things!

3. Try using premium fuel, to see if it makes a difference!

All of the above will cost peanuts and can only help eliminate things Very Happy

Failing that it is most likely to be a knackered fuel pump or debris i the fuel system that the filter cannot cope with Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #55608525th Nov 2009 3:06 pm
lad

Hi SJR,
10forcash changed my fuel and air filters at last service, I've tried millers sport 4 in the fuel along with premium diesel, and I kept getting loss of power. I then started to use normal diesel, no additives and cleaned the air filter and box and hoovered the MAF sensor very carefully and it had been ok until last week, and it then lost power again. Rolling Eyes
The dealer has changed the fuel pump in the tank.
Just wondering if my landy needs the high pressure fuel pump renewing.

Post #55609625th Nov 2009 3:27 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just spotted that your D3 is from 2005 so I doubt it would be affected by the recall.... Sad Which Censored up my theory. Of course, this doesn't mean that the HPFP isn't knackered, it just means it's less likely to be knackered Thumbs Up

Worth giving LRCS a call with your VIN number and asking them though just in case Thumbs Up I think the recalls would be carried out irrespective of whether it's still in warranty or not as in this case it is a safety concern.

To be honest, the symptons sound like early stage EGR failure what with the loss of power a larger throttle openings and sometimes clearing when cycling the ignition Confused
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #55610425th Nov 2009 3:37 pm
lad

Cheers Paul Thumbs Up not to worry its worth a call. I thought EGR valves, and I have had the left hand side one replaced when I first had the power loss problem. I know people blank off the EGR valves, but do you think it could solve the problem? I have blanking plates from ridgeback moor but as the landy still has extended warranty on, they have not been fitted. I was thinking if the LHS one has been replaced, could the RHS one be sticking? Question is, how could you tell without looking at it Razz

Post #55610625th Nov 2009 3:46 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You may have a hole in the turbo/intercooler hoses? Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #55631726th Nov 2009 12:37 am
anglefire

England 

I know this is an old thread, but I have mine in today after many episodes of Engine fault - The dealer has already changed the fuel filter and now says the recorded code is P2290. They want it back again for a few days (Just in case).

But if I can give them some pointers it may speed up the process, which would be good Thumbs Up
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #68570224th Aug 2010 7:17 pm
lad

As it says above I've had this problem for a while now. Its still loses power every now and then, but I think MY problem could be down to a faulty injector. Its been on IDS and looked at live data from the injectors and 3+4 injectors are high values but injector 6 is really low value. So either 3+4 are clapped out and over fuelling or 6 is clapped out and under fuelling, ( thats why 3+4 are over fuelling to compensate).
I've had some wiring replaced, relays and the fuel pump in the tank replaced too, but it still looses power and gives the P2290 code, the only things not replaced are the injectors and high pressure pump. As I write this I don't know what year your disco is but there is a recall for the high pressure pump I think, I think the vin numbers affected are on this site somewhere, hope it helps a little. Confused

Post #68580824th Aug 2010 11:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >