Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Loss of power in TDV6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
marksc

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Russian roulette driving . When I pull away from home am I going to get to more than 10MPH without an error message or not. This is the daily roll of the dice . The dealership has had the information on the problem numerous time and failed to rectify the problem properly. The last fix was a surprise phone call to inform us that a spare part that had been ordered had arrived. This was fitted over two days when we were told only few hours would be needed. when contacted we were told that the car was in bits still and we could hire a car from them . The part that they apparently needed to replace was the crank shaft sensor as this was supposed to be the origin of the fault mentioned ( no power when pulling out into traffic). Then when the car was returned the following day after a few miles of driving over two day's the fault occured again and ( in Less than 40 miles) the gear leaver came off in my hand with no connection to the manual gear box. This was half way up a steep hill on a main route and caused a major traffic problem till the car could be recovered. The car was the inspected by the dealers and they informed us that the gear linkage had come loose and caused the clutch to burn out.
They have apparently replaced the clutch on the car and reconnected the gear box . After reluctantly accepting the car back after 20 miles driving on the day of collection I have got home to friction burning smell from the car that is persistent and very noticeable round the car. I have checked the disk's and these are all quite cool so it look's like its going to be the dealer recovering the car again in the morning.
Ps the car came back empty evertime they had it even though I had just fueled it .
As for service report's they are very good at telling you they have washed and polished the car. But what have they done in the repair????????????? no details your under warranty....

NOW don't get me wrong here I Am NOT a Landrover winger.
over the Years I have own 5 discovery's ,1 freelander, 1P38 Range Rover. and driven many more.
200tdi 3door , 300tdi 3 door, 300tdi 5 door, Tdi5 , Discover 3., Discover 3.

Post #32291216th Jul 2008 11:09 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Dicky Dash, Like You, I just can't understand why they insist that there is not a fault. Are these 'technicians' totally devoid of ANY training? Shocked If the 'oil' level is increasing, then it seems fair to assume that either fuel is getting into the sump (from the cylinders poss via a faulty injector) and watering the oil down for you, or coolant is leaking into the oil somehow (are you losing coolant?), neither of these conditions are acceptable under any circumstances. PS, Did they perform any form of Power Balance Test, to see if any of the cylinders were underperforming?

Post #32293017th Jul 2008 12:06 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

When we were playing on Big Red on of the D3s had no power and wouldnt go over 20 kph.
We disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, this made no difference.
So put the car in neatral and revved the ring out of it,
It hasnt missed a beat since AFAIK
 Pete  
Post #32297817th Jul 2008 9:14 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

power thing sounds remarkably similar to the EGR valve problem that a few of us have suffered from? also sounds as if they maybe don't actually have the skills to fit a new clutch properly Rolling Eyes and if the fuel tank is coming back empty each time you take it in full, then if I were you I'd be raising merry hell about it as I would consider it to be theft and nothing less Mad I think you need to get onto the 'phone to LR customer services pronto !
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #32298517th Jul 2008 9:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

What Blue Meanie said... Thumbs Up

Are you saying that you left the car FULL of fuel and it has been returned EMPTY every time? Confused

If LR Customer services don't help, then you could simply phone the police. Although I'm exaggerating, this could easily be considered theft as they obviously didn't drive your D3 very far to test the clutch and it's rather difficult to use an entire tank during a clutch change Rolling Eyes
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #32301017th Jul 2008 10:58 am
steve the magpie

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
ref your loss off power

my tdv6 did this and i checked the fuel filter and replaced it no prob since and my car came from a main dealer with full service history with the same dealer ? wrong i was the filter had the date on it when fitted (from new) with 40000 on it out of 1 filter hard to imagine it lasted so long and why it was not changed on service intervals and we are supposed to trust a main dealers work.
 always up to somert usualy no good acording to swmbo  
Post #40859424th Jan 2009 11:17 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

welcome to the site, you'll be pleased to know that we have a dealer "feedback" section which gives forum members the heads up on rogue dealers Thumbs Up

ps, might want to introduce yourself on the "welcome to disco3...." sub heading on the home page Thumbs Up

Post #40859524th Jan 2009 11:22 pm
paul loves landys

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
lack of power when cold

my 05 plate disco 3 has just run out of warranty , and guess what its going to cost nearly £500 for a new recirculation valve just after its had a service at the main dealers. its turns out that most get replaced under warranty. matt in service said he will see what he can do about the price. we'll see. apparently its a common fault a flap in the vavle sticks. would appreciate hearing other info on this subject .

Post #40926726th Jan 2009 1:35 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I'd have a chat with 10forcash on the site - he can work his magic for a lot less than a dealer would charge. Thumbs Up

Post #40929026th Jan 2009 2:12 pm
richh

United Kingdom 

hi guys. i have seen this problem before too, i know this may sound crazy but when i next happens next try turning up the stereo!. really, if the stereo says that it it is in power save mode one of the sensors on the engine could be having a brain fart (technical term). go to the dealer and see if they can put it on IDS and find out which one is reading at the ECU s default settings, hope this helps, rich.

Post #4171077th Feb 2009 6:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
trouper

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

hi just joined this forum
i to have this problem only brough my lr3 xs 07 plate 8 days ago and its happend three times. it happens when you labour the engine or in wrong gear. any thoughts?

Post #50939219th Aug 2009 6:40 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

In my experience, lack of power cannot be put down to just one issue.
If something goes wrong the engine goes into 'limp home' mode to prevent damage to it.
Thus, power loss.
I've had it with turbo failure and with extreme coolant loss.
You may also get an accompanying message on the dash.
Best bet is get it to a dealer and let them plug it in to see what faults are recorded.

Oh, and welcome to the site.
Thumbs Up
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #50940419th Aug 2009 7:21 pm
Greenstead

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have a TDV6 HSE Auto (2008).
Today driving at ~50mph (doing nothing out of the ordinary) the vehicle engine cut out, no brakes, no stearing, electrics still on. Cruised to a standstill and started the engine. All OK. External temp -4 if that could be a factor. No warning lights or messages before or after. Recently serviced and a full tank.
What to do?
 Camberley, Surrey.
Greenstead. 

Post #56826321st Dec 2009 9:58 am
Annabelle

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I have an 06 TDV6 manual - seems to be a similar prob to the above, coinciding with the cold weather (a factor or not?). Very sluggish on start up, pedal to the metal to get 30mph - however seems to perk up after a while but then start it a few hours later and same problem, no messages on display?

Post #5734223rd Jan 2010 5:27 pm
tfloyd

Hong Kong 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
system failure - special programs not available

I had this warning on my "almost out of warranty" 2007 TD3 three times in the past month or so. When it happens, the car is incapable of accelerating or increasing speed. The last time it happened, I noticed that the dial that alters the program mode, which is usually set on road use and is normally lit yellow, was not lit at all. Temperature was okay (at least 10 degs - I live in HK), dry and car not being at all laboured on a normal road, and in road use mode.

Like any computer run toy, I can turn the power/ignition off, then on, and the problem is resolved (until the next time).

Land Rover (Hong Kong, where I live) said last week there is nothing wrong. I have however sent the TD3 back to them again with 5 days warranty to go, and I want them to find a problem.

Post #60927424th Feb 2010 1:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >