Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Lot's of D3's around lately?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I agree with comments so far, but the reality is, it is not selling like it should be . As I said above, 3500 D3 were budgeted to be sold in the 05/06 fin year. From what I can see not even half this number has sold.

So why is this?

I am happy to pay a premium for the D3 when compared to other jap 4wd's.
But I strugle with paying prices equal to German 4wds such BMW and MERC's etc.

I also struggle with the idea of paying for extras, which are standard on some other makes, such as sat nav, sunroof, rear air con, etc.

I honestly believe if LR chucked in some free fruit like the above mentioned, D3 will sell like hot cakes.

I will get the better half around on buying a D3, as she is impressed with the safety systems. (Plus I want the D3)

But my thoughts must face a lot of buyers who clearly are not buying the product.

Post #7126919th Jul 2006 12:49 am
Jamo

Australia 

If you want to go off road, buy the D3.

If you don't, why buy a 4WD?? Why not buy a Jag or a BWM or merc sedan?? If you want AWD, why not an Audi??

Neither the BMW or the Merc can mix it with the landies off road.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #7127019th Jul 2006 1:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I bought my D3 because I concidered it the best value.
The BMW was overpriced and with only a 2 year warranty, when asked why they said "it's a BMW it doesn'tn need a longer warranty.
Also very glad I didn't have one when I slit a tyre. BMW are at least $800 and Toureg $1000.
Merc has a skinny spare and you pay extra for the off road pack. (good value?) i have also heard of major quality problems, in the US where they do have lemon laws the had to take stacks of them back.
If you compare to Jap 4x4s size and capacity is close to the 100 series cruiser. For the same price with the disco you get full air suspension, terrain response and the best deisel in its class. (current tecchnology not 15 year old technology)
Fantastic car to drive on road and off road capacility is brilliant.
The BMW maybe better on road but all round the D3 is a billiant vehicle.
My wife wanted the brand names BMW or Merc but we both agreed on the disco and she could not be happier with it (loves driving it as do I)
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #7127919th Jul 2006 5:59 am
razzle

I guess part of my problem is, that previously I would compare the Discovery to other mid sized 4wd’s such as Prado, Pajero and pathfinder, and you could pick up a mid spec model for roughly the $50-55k mark.
Now the D3 has been positioned to compete with the upper European Brands. The problem I see is that its main appeal is still to the new car buyer who are still in the mid $50k range.

This car should be breaking all sales records, and its not, Yes the high fuel price has caused a slight down turn in large 4wd sales, but I would of thought the TDV6 would attracted a few buyers as well.

If Toyota had a 4wd with all these awards, would it achieve less than 50% of it’s sales Targets?

The D3 engineers have set a bench mark in 4wd’s but the marketers have not.

Post #7202221st Jul 2006 12:26 pm
catweasel

razzle wrote:
From what I can see not even half this number has sold.

So why is this?
4wd mags, insecurities with new technology and reliabilty, its not what people are used to and you are correct, marketing is poor as p..s
who cares what the sales figures are anyway, its the best out there and if it suits your needs get it, as for price even the 4x4 mags (who are predominantly written by toyota and nissan owners) say its the best value for money.
razzle wrote:
But I strugle with paying prices equal to German 4wds such BMW and MERC's etc.
why? they dont compare, they might be good onroad but are no match offroad or towing or people moving. why is everything compared to German cars when their quality lately is pretty low as they now build to a budget rather than a standard but rely on their past  
Post #7203321st Jul 2006 1:02 pm
Jamo

Australia 

razzle, the D3 is not a 'mid sized' 4WD. It's slightly bigger in some dimensions than both LC100 and Patrol.

And it's not marketed at $50K car buyers.

Yes, Nissan sells a lot because the pootrol is cheaper than either the toymota or the disco.

Toymota sells a lot because of clever subliminal marketing and a, shall we say, incentive based fleet program.

But, what do sales have to do with whether you like the car or not??? Or whether is suits your purpose??

If you are genuinely interested in buying a D3, then test drive one and compare your own perceptions, likes, dislikes etc with the other car makes.

But it seems to me that you are only regurgitating garbage that you've read in magazines. I get the feeling that you're not interested in buying a D3 at all!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #7205721st Jul 2006 1:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Hi (i might introduce myself here - ordered my Disco3 HSE TDV6 a few days ago. I have been monitoring this forum for a while and have got a lot out of what has been said/discussed. Am only now "piping-up" 'caus I think I can add to the discussion - i.e. why only 50% of sales targets met).

As I optioned the rear dif lock (for $1,000 who wouldn't??) I was advised that LR would have to build a car for me. I had initially been advised the waiting period for an "order" was 12-14 weeks. I could put up with that.

Got a call from my dealer today. The car would not be being built until January 2007, with delivery in Feb/March 2007!!! A 8/9 month wait!!!

I cancelled my order and told them that when they were serious about selling me a $100+k car, they should call me.

I imagine that it would be hard to meet any sales targets when you dont have cars to sell!

BTW - great forum for Aussie Dico3 owners (or those trying to be)

Post #7206421st Jul 2006 2:16 pm
d3syd

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I can understand why you cancelled your order TDMP, that's a rediculously long wait. Why not forego the rear diff lock, the standard set up is more than capable of handing most off road situations anyway. You'll get your car a lot quicker!
 '06 TDV6 SE AUTO BUCKINGHAM BLUE
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL
'08 BMW 135i Coupe Twin Turbo 

Post #7206921st Jul 2006 2:27 pm
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

d3syd wrote:
Why not forego the rear diff lock, the standard set up is more than capable of handing most off road situations anyway. You'll get your car a lot quicker!

Sure am thinking about it - just wanted to do some research first (also, I figured if I'm sepending that type of $$ I should get what I want...!).

I'd love to hear some comments re: dif loc & 9 month wait - v - no dif loc & 3 month wait?
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #7207521st Jul 2006 2:41 pm
catweasel

8-9 months where do you live, the moon. I ordered in April and the car has been built and is awaiting to be shipped out so hopefully late August early September. I would suggest you contact another dealer as the time frame given sounds like wa.k. go for a larger dealership with higher sales volume and see what they have to say. if you order now before the end of the month it should be built in September/October

Post #7207621st Jul 2006 2:42 pm
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Just a general comment and this is from a person that has a TDV6 SE and loves it.

I think they are overpriced especially now that the TD Jeep Commander is available which is so much cheaper than the Discovery - and compared to the pricing in the USA they are much more expensive in Australia - all of which points to LRA being greedy and getting the pricing points wrong. Now of course what do they do ? If they reduce the price they destroy the resale market and Censored all of us off who have bought the thing already. If they dont they will sell less cars. Bit like being hung up on a rock without extendable suspension really.

Post #7223422nd Jul 2006 2:46 am
caverD3

TDMP
We got the diff lock because all the others in stock had rear aircon and other extras we didn't want.
It was cheaper to go for rear diff lock and adaptive lights than rear air.
When the dealer only had some with options we didn't want he did a search and found another dealer with our vehicle and did a swap.
If they want your business get them to find one you want (or close to it) or go to other dealers till someone thinks lateraly.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #7223522nd Jul 2006 3:33 am
caverD3

Vo Rogue
Ones idea of Value is often a different to others.
No one can say Dicos are cheap, but I would say after driving numerous options I found the value (as oposed to straight price) to be better than the competition.
I have not driven the commander (it did not exist when I chose) but it looks like contender for value for money.

razzle
you will find much in the Australian press is biased towards toyota in the 4x4 area, Nissan owners often comlpain about this as well.
Make up your mind what is impoertant to you in a vehicle and then decide on the best ones for your needs and then concider what it is reasonable to pay.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #7223622nd Jul 2006 3:41 am
Steve55

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hello all you guys down under ..... this is message from Solihull.
Lode Lane will build 116,000 D3's this year, the queue to get them out the plant is amazing.
For those guys who can't wait for all the tricked-up stuff, personally I wouldn't worry. I have been on 3 Experience courses at the LR main test site and frankly the cars ability to deal with rough condidtions is something else.
Mine is now 1 year old and covered 17k miles, no probelems, just smooth quite, relaxed motoring. I tow the wifes horses when on longer trips, approximate 2 tons and you don't know the Censored are there. This is very different than towing with our TD5 Defender.
Go on, take the plunge, things have moved on quite a bit at the factory since BMW were kicked out.
 Discovery 3 SE Auto Zambezi Silver
Black Leather Seats
Build Date: 12th April 2005 23:40
Leave Site: 14th April 2005 04:16
Source: Land Rover Lode Lane
Reg: 1st July 05 

Post #7227822nd Jul 2006 8:16 pm
razzle

Vo rogue
interesting comments, and you are right it will hit resales if LRA start to move price points. So LRA are in a interesting situation, I think the idea of chucking in some “more fruit“”, may be a good idea?

I just can’t understand LRA logic in accessories pricing as well. I am interested in a SE TDV6, To get SAT Nav is roughly a $10k option on a SE model (Need to upgrade the stereo). Who is going to pay this?, they are all made by Denso, and in the volumes Land Rover (Ford) buy them , they would be lucky to have a wholesale cost of more that $1k ?, (Denso supply Toyota’s sat nav’s and they are only a 4k option). LRA getting very greedy here.

TDMP
I am a bit concerned about the 9 month wait for a model with a diff lock. Absolute No brainier to by this with the 4wd.
It would be interested to hear of others experience when looking to buy a D3?.

I am interested in your comments, is Supply of vehicles a factor in D3 sales?

CAVERD3
I have test drove the D3 Twice and (TDV6 with air suspension and TDV6 without air suspension) and I am more than impressed by the ride and specifically the performance of the TDV6.

The problem for Land Rover is that I am the type of person that they want to buy their cars, we are starting to get back into the outdoor lifestyle, plus we can afford it.
But when I started this journey on selecting a new car I did not think I would end with my wife wanting a BMW or Merc, because they are roughly the same price.

Post #7230722nd Jul 2006 11:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >