Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Low profile tyres - long distance offroad "touring"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Low profile tyres - long distance offroad "touring"

I have recently fitted a set of 18" AT tyres and travelled over 3000 kms offroad and 2000 kms on the black stuff (heavily loaded). On getting back to the coast I had the tyres examined by the manufacturer. Following are the comments from their technical experts.

Quote:
Our Tyre engineer has found the following;

What has occured is called, swelling of the tread. It occurs due to a signifcant difference in temperature between the tread and sidewall. caused by low pressure usage over an extended time. it is also evident near the bead area of the tyre.

Our engineer has advised this is not uncommon in H, V and W rated tyres where the tyre is manufactured to meet very high speed requirements. This reduces its offroad ability, as the offroad ability is compromised to meet the high speed rating.

It is also magnified by the fact this tyre is of low profile design, so the sidewall height is significantly less than a normal LT or offroad style tyre. When used at low pressure heat build up will occur faster than a taller sidewall tyre.

I am not having a go at any tyre manufacturer as this will apply on all. All this highlights that if you intend to use your D3 with 18" and 19" tyres in long distance low pressure touring (i.e. the desert) you will experience premature failures. I will review my tyre options and will probably purchase a set of 17"s for my desert and outback touring. For short distance offroading I don't believe that there are any issues.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #20730224th Sep 2007 12:42 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks Desert Traveller good info. Thumbs Up
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #20730624th Sep 2007 1:58 am
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I've recently come back from a trip to Botswana where one of my Grabbers "failed". At the moment the tyre is with my dealer who'll send it to the manufacturer early next week at my request. By failed I blistered the side wall of the tyre - I can't apportion blame at this stage (to the tyre or my driving) until the manufacturer has a look at the tyre. I did about 3500kms on tar and 1500 on dirt/soft sand, fully loaded but my tyre pressures were never below 2 bars. Will keep you informed of any developments. For the rest the Grabbers performed brilliantly (oh yes, and so did the car)!

Post #20830426th Sep 2007 1:17 pm
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Robharvey,
any news on your tyres from the manufacturers?
 regards
Peter

Post #24286410th Jan 2008 6:59 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Low Profile Tyres

Which is one of the reasons I went for the 265x65x18 Tyres. Even though 65 is still relatively low profile, it is a significant improvement over 60 series. The 'died-in-the-wool' 4x4'ers maintain that anything under 75 series is too low.
Cheers.
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #24289410th Jan 2008 10:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >