Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

LR D3 help wanted - mobile mechanic Suffolk area?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Captain SlackBladder

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
LR D3 help wanted - mobile mechanic Suffolk area?

Hi all,

A few weeks ago during the snow and ice my legs decided to practice for next years skating on ice competition and over I went and dislocated, and broke my ankle in two places! Just out of hospital and with a friend driving my D3 2009 2.7 TDV6.

Then the dreaded park brake fault, HDC unavailable, special programs off, radio off, 4 ways flashing, central locking on/off etc. And now won't start, not even turn over.

A mate read the codes using a high end "Mac tools" reader and it threw up lots of codes, CANBUS problems. He managed to clear a lot of them and one was pointing to the rear parking sensors so he disconnected that, it made no difference.

Multi meter on the battery read 12.35v off (I had wondered about the battery but it was only 8 months old but had down many short journey's with my friend driving it. Before he tested it, it was on a CTEK charger overnight) and when he cleared the codes and it ran the voltage was reading 14.4v

After much reading on here I ordered a new brake light switch and a mate fitted it, no change still nothing.
So I'm at this point now where because of my broken ankle I can't do any more on my own. I still need the battery out to check for corrosion behind it on the TCCM. The earth cables need checking as well as the speed sensor and other electrical connections that seem to come from this fault typically.

Is anyone or does anyone know of somebody in the Suffolk area (I'm fairly close to Ipswich) who can travel and work on it with an IID tool and knowledge. I'm of course willing to pay for the help.

Thanks. Thumbs Up

Post #22160028th Mar 2021 9:10 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

You ned to charge the battery up then check the volts after it has rested for the night, do not wake the car up ie unlock it, insted run a piece of thin two core from battery to the outside of the car so you can check volts in a rested state.

But tbh once you have dounts about the battery, it is most likely already on its way out.

Post #22160878th Mar 2021 3:25 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

+1 for battery.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #22160938th Mar 2021 3:43 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sorry to hear about your accident . Wishing you a speedy recovery.
A quick temporary fix to eliminate the earthing issue is to run a heavy duty jump cable from the battery to an earthing point , from what I've read (not tried it myself). Might be worth a try to eliminate it quickly.
12.35V doesn't seem that low on the battery to me, but it's not just about the voltage I know. One tip I saw, to check the state of the battery quickly is to see what the voltage drops to as the car is started. Below 10V seems to indicate the battery may need replacing.
Given the number of simultaneous issues /warnings you have it's quite likely to be a common cause, and most likely electrical as others have advised.
Good luck
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #22160968th Mar 2021 3:57 pm
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

Exactly how close to Ipswich, I’m in Ipswich and have an IID tool could always pop and plug my IID in and see what else I can do.

Drop me a PM if you want.

Post #22160998th Mar 2021 4:07 pm
Captain SlackBladder

lynalldiscovery wrote:
You ned to charge the battery up then check the volts after it has rested for the night, do not wake the car up ie unlock it, insted run a piece of thin two core from battery to the outside of the car so you can check volts in a rested state.

But tbh once you have dounts about the battery, it is most likely already on its way out.

Hi, thanks for the reply, the battery was fully charged overnight by the CTEK then the readings were taken, a drop test was done when the Discovery started after a lot of the codes were cleared, I can't recall the exact voltage but the mate who measured it said the battery was fine? It's not old either, 8 months, and had been on my CTEK conditioner twice over winter. But I hear you and have another battery coming to try and rule it out.

Do you think doing a hard reset may help as well? The problem I have is I can't physically get about to try the various obvious problems at the moment and my mate has limited time as he's working.

Post #22162409th Mar 2021 8:15 am
Captain SlackBladder

Gary_P wrote:
Sorry to hear about your accident . Wishing you a speedy recovery.
A quick temporary fix to eliminate the earthing issue is to run a heavy duty jump cable from the battery to an earthing point , from what I've read (not tried it myself). Might be worth a try to eliminate it quickly.
12.35V doesn't seem that low on the battery to me, but it's not just about the voltage I know. One tip I saw, to check the state of the battery quickly is to see what the voltage drops to as the car is started. Below 10V seems to indicate the battery may need replacing.
Given the number of simultaneous issues /warnings you have it's quite likely to be a common cause, and most likely electrical as others have advised.
Good luck

Thanks for the reply. Yes I haven't been able to check the earth points yet to make sure it's a good connection. A drop test was done with it running and the battery seemed healthy, I do have another battery coming as like the brake light switch it's an obvious place to start.

After reading many posts here, I can see it is a very common fault to get, the problem being which module or wiring is kaput.

Cheers.

Post #22162429th Mar 2021 8:18 am
Captain SlackBladder

Jamiehol wrote:
Exactly how close to Ipswich, I’m in Ipswich and have an IID tool could always pop and plug my IID in and see what else I can do.

Hi, I'm a few miles (3) South of Stowmarket. Thats very kind of you and will PM you at some stage to try and arrange a time if it's not an obvious fault ie battery? Thanks again.

Post #22162459th Mar 2021 8:23 am
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The problem is more than likely a Canbus wiring fault somewhere on the vehicle.

Indicators flashing, doors unlocking/locking, failure to start and Canbus error code strongly point in that direction.

Canbus wires are the twisted yellow wires that loop to every module on the D3.

I believe common failure areas are the Large connectors behind NSR wheel on chassis, wiring near handbrake module and main instrument pack failure or it's connector but could be many other places.

The main caveat here is that I haven't experienced these issues myself (yet) but I have soaked up a reasonable amount of info in 11 years on the forum. Thumbs Up
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #22162519th Mar 2021 8:36 am
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

Captain SlackBladder wrote:
Jamiehol wrote:

Hi, I'm a few miles (3) South of Stowmarket. Thats very kind of you and will PM you at some stage to try and arrange a time if it's not an obvious fault ie battery? Thanks again.

No problem not too far as I’m just off the A14 over the Orwell Bridge so happy to pop over.

Just drop us a PM whenever and we can sort something out.

Post #22162559th Mar 2021 9:06 am
Captain SlackBladder

Excellent, thanks a lot.

Post #22162599th Mar 2021 9:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >