Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

LR fixed price servicing - Finished now?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
LR fixed price servicing - Finished now?

Anyone know if the land rover dealer fixed price servicing is now a thing of the past now on vehicles 4yrs and older.? I was informed by our local dealer to basically stop comparing my discounts to LR fixed price servicing as it has finished now Shocked
Not sure if he meant just their group or all LR dealers Confused
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #215761330th Jun 2020 1:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It appears to be missing from the Marshall's Peterborough service page now. I had a link that took me to it but now it just takes me to the service page, not the fixed price page, which is nowhere to be seen.

They don't want people in their old boxy LR's anywhere near their workshops Rolling with laughter Confused
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #215762030th Jun 2020 2:02 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

You always have to 'discuss' with them about the existence of the scheme, 1 dealer in Chesterfield who I went to a few years back denied it even existed until I pointed out that it was on their own website.

TBH I would avoid them now whenever possible unless your still in LR warranty, in favour of a decent Indy as you know they will do a good job and not cut corners which is what happens with the 3+ scheme.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #215762130th Jun 2020 2:09 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

My next service is due this time next year, but I'm in a bit of dilemna. My 5 year service plan has now finished (what a bargain that was) so I now have to make my mind up whether I continue with LR service in order to get a more favourable judgement if my crank goes or save money at a good independent.
The most important thing in a service to me is that they give the car a check over for obvious faults (picked up a split in the rubber holding the rear propshaft most recently). I'm not sure that any indy would give the car a good once over hunting for any issue like that.
Any thought on this?
Car is 2015 which I have had from new.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #215763130th Jun 2020 3:18 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I stayed with JLR for servicing in the same hope re the crank failing - that did me no good at all as they simply washed their hands of the issue. If the LR extended warranty is not covering the issue I would not be holding out for support from the dealership.

We used to get all the major work done by indies and just the routine servicing by JLR. That stopped as (a) the cars got older, and (b) they started to 'find' work that needed to be done (eg brake pads) even though I knew they had been done 6 weeks prior etc.

So far as the indies are concerned then I guess it depends who you use. I am happy to travel 100+ miles to be able to use D-Mikey and have every confidence that he is far better than the main dealers,particularly with issues that arise as the car gets older. Can't comment on indies in your area but I'm sure there are others who can.
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE and 2013 MY D4 HSE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #215763630th Jun 2020 3:34 pm
Dave T

England 

You are joking aren't you.....

It entirely depends on the person whether it’s an Indy or main dealer. An Indy lives more on their reputation than a dealer, yes you can get good techs at the dealers but I know where I am spending my money
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #215763730th Jun 2020 3:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Gary_P wrote:
My next service is due this time next year, but I'm in a bit of dilemna. My 5 year service plan has now finished (what a bargain that was) so I now have to make my mind up whether I continue with LR service in order to get a more favourable judgement if my crank goes or save money at a good independent.
The most important thing in a service to me is that they give the car a check over for obvious faults (picked up a split in the rubber holding the rear propshaft most recently). I'm not sure that any indy would give the car a good once over hunting for any issue like that.
Any thought on this?
Car is 2015 which I have had from new.
Cheers

You must have struck lucky with your dealer. I wouldn't let LR near my car if I can avoid it. My Indi is excellent and I put down my trouble (ish) free and stupidly reliable D3 and D4 down to their skills, knowledge and care. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #215764230th Jun 2020 3:51 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for your input. Will give it some further thought.
I suppose I was lucky, although I have had a few minor issues. This time the two things they said needed doing, really did need doing and I got them done at a recommended independent in my area.
One consideration is selling the car on. I would have thought that a full dealer service history to carry some premium in price or at least reassure a buyer. Any experience of this?
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #215767330th Jun 2020 5:44 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I prefer a good history with receipts rather than a tick box service book by LR.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #215771530th Jun 2020 8:47 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

a word of caution - under the fixed price servicing scheme its my belief that LR cut corners in order to justify cutting the cost of the service

example - I bought my D4 last August with no evidence of cam belts being done, so after checking prices locally I went with the LR main dealer as their cost at the time was only £695 which was similar to what I was finding at Indy's.
2 days after collecting the car from them the engine started sounding like a bag of spanners and down on power. I was recovered back to the LR dealer who did the work and to be fair they were very helpful (way too helpful in hindsight). Turned out the HPFP belt tensioner bolt has sheared due to a manufacturers fault and they had my D4 for a further 10 days while they sorted it.
Its my belief that they didn't touch the HPFP belt at all and it went through normal wear & tear, and that they skimp on the servicing in order to order to cut costs and play a gamble on anything consequential going wrong.
This was crudely confirmed by my local indy calling a different LR dealer and being told that fixed price belt changes only cover the main front belt, its £1300 to change all the belts. However my receipt stated that all belts were changed.

for me its a trusted Indy who knows LR all the way unless your under LR warranty
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #21577831st Jul 2020 6:57 am
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just remember you don't need LR servicing for the warranty. Only has to be a VAT registered vehicle repair outfit, its the law. As others have said having it done by a dealer is no guarantee it will be done properly or they will be more interested when you have a problem.

In the past our servicing dealer had no interest in helping with the old FL gearbox issue, yet another LR dealer who I had never been to before got it replaced straight away when I took it to them.
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #21577901st Jul 2020 7:11 am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

There did use to be some good dealers, and maybe there still are.

Guava who I used to use, were very good. Unfortunately, they were taken over, and it went to pot!

Indy for me now, and haven’t regretted it!

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #21577961st Jul 2020 7:22 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Will say hi to ex-Guava and see if any of the old guard are there in Dec. When getting my wagon serviced at the Skoda dealer next door. Thumbs Up

Oh, and loving the fixed price servicing for Skoda. Mr. Green Mr. Green

Post #21578001st Jul 2020 7:25 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

I recently had the very dilemma of staying with LR or going to an Indy. My thoughts were that although LR’s cowboy warranty company won’t cover crankshafts, I was told by the dealer that because of full LRSH LR would “more than likely” pick up the tab. More than likely isn’t really good enough. Under the fixed price servicing, which would have been £515, they would only carry out visual checks (their words, not mine), so by that its reasonable to assume that they wouldn’t check for any fault codes etc.

Contacting an Indy recommended on this forum, using genuine LR parts, the cost would be £375. As the LR warranty expired the day after the scheduled service, I looked elsewhere. I’d been a customer of Warranty Direct in the past (and received good service on both D3 and D4, so surprised that I wasn’t barred!), and ticking every option box (they’ve changed how they do it these days), I have now got a much better warranty than LR’s lot offer (crank is covered) and over three years that I signed up for, the cost is less than two-thirds of the LR one (possibly even less).

So, I had the service done at the Indy who checked everything judging by his verbal report when I collected it, and saved myself £140 in the process. Plus the chap is a real LR enthusiast, which is probably more than can be said for 99.9% of the “technicians” at dealerships.

Post #21578241st Jul 2020 8:33 am
Shaun R.

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

robpenrose wrote:
There did use to be some good dealers, and maybe there still are.

Guava who I used to use, were very good. Unfortunately, they were taken over, and it went to pot!

Indy for me now, and haven’t regretted it!

Hi Rob, just out of interest, which Indy do you use now? I'm in the Croydon area.......

Post #21578391st Jul 2020 9:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >