Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

The LR logic of the off-set numberplate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Platypus47

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
A whole Topic on the position on the number plate?

I am quietly amused that the position of the plate gives anyone cause for concern. It is what it is. Will owners still be fretting in one, two or five years? If you're in the market, is it really a deal breaker?
The current Rolls Royce is to my mind hideous along with X4 and X6 and S class. But people buy them.
D5 different to my current D4. I'm not and didn't buy them 'cos they looked pretty. My only concern, will it still cut the mustard in the Victorian High Country where every track looks like the Rubicon trail? Will it still be at home on Fraser Island?
I'll need to get some 18" wheels with proper tyres though! I don't think 22" tyres are going to bag enough off road Crying or Very sad
I agree the vehicle has some idiosyncrasies of design, but it's the D5. A new design, looking forwards with a little nod here and there to it's ancestry. SWMBO saw it, got in it, looked around it and said let's get it. No coercion needed.(She didn't notice THAT number plate though Whistle )

Post #180732424th Apr 2017 2:25 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Standard 19" wheels on the D5 have same tyre profile as 18" Compomotive.
 Peter  
Post #180733124th Apr 2017 2:56 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 
Re: A whole Topic on the position on the number plate?

Platypus47 wrote:
I am quietly amused that the position of the plate gives anyone cause for concern. It is what it is. Will owners still be fretting in one, two or five years? If you're in the market, is it really a deal breaker?
The current Rolls Royce is to my mind hideous along with X4 and X6 and S class. But people buy them.
D5 different to my current D4. I'm not and didn't buy them 'cos they looked pretty. My only concern, will it still cut the mustard in the Victorian High Country where every track looks like the Rubicon trail? Will it still be at home on Fraser Island?
I'll need to get some 18" wheels with proper tyres though! I don't think 22" tyres are going to bag enough off road Crying or Very sad
I agree the vehicle has some idiosyncrasies of design, but it's the D5. A new design, looking forwards with a little nod here and there to it's ancestry. SWMBO saw it, got in it, looked around it and said let's get it. No coercion needed.(She didn't notice THAT number plate though Whistle )

Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #180734824th Apr 2017 3:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Some of us feel that for between £43,000 and £70,000 we can reasonably afford to be very fussy. I moved heaven and earth to be able to afford my D4 because it was brilliant.

Why should any of us accept anything less than perfect at this sort of money?

Post #180748124th Apr 2017 8:01 pm
J77

Scotland 

Isn't there more important things to consider when spending that kind of money rather than the position of a number plate?
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #180751124th Apr 2017 8:39 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

At this sort of price, every single little detail can be judged.

I know that it's had to change to follow fashion, to search for lighter weight and make it more palitable for the mass car buying public, but there are also many different aspects of the car that have been a backward step, most notably around practicality and loading.

Putting a wonky plate on, as a continuous memory of practicality lost, is not something that's easy to overlook.

Post #180751724th Apr 2017 8:54 pm
RODDO

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

It doesn't bother me one bit because from where I sit I can't see it!!

Post #180753424th Apr 2017 9:28 pm
Platypus47

petersw wrote:

Some available tyres for 18" rims include:

Bridgestone D697 LT-construction LT265/60R18
Cooper AT3 265/60R18
Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60R18
Achillies Desert Hawk Xtreme MT 265/60R18
Continental CrossContact AT 255/60R18
General Grabber AT 255/60R18
Yokohama Geolander AT/S 265/60R18
Goodyear Silent Armor 265/60R18
Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/60R18
Pirelli ATR 265/60R18
BFG AT LT-construction LT265/65R18
Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18 (requires slight modification to fit)
Maxxis Bighorn MT LT275/65R18 (requires HS shortened rods + modification to fit)

More choice of tyre, more sidewall flex with smaller wheel assuming same rolling radius.

Post #180761225th Apr 2017 2:42 am
Platypus47

Red Merle wrote:
Some of us feel that for between £43,000 and £70,000 we can reasonably afford to be very fussy. I moved heaven and earth to be able to afford my D4 because it was brilliant.

Why should any of us accept anything less than perfect at this sort of money?

I've had D4 for last 5 years and it is good, it is certainly not 'perfection'. There are no 'perfect' cars as we each have different needs, wants and aesthetics. Our tastes differ. My favourite bottle of red wine might be unpalatable for someone else. Does that mean the wine was rubbish?
All cars are a compromise. Can you live with them? In a city, large 4WD's are far from perfect, a Smart makes much more sense. Delivering the kids to school or shopping, a Kia or Hyundai would be far more 'sensible'.
If you can live with the negatives, then buy, enjoy. If you can't, move on to something you can.
The D3/4 lost something from the D1&2. Just look at the radical things people have done with them. But the fact that people modify their vehicles is because it wasn't 'perfect' in the first place. Does your modified D4 look the same as your mates? Is it the same colour?
From my perspective, the D5 is certainly not 'perfect' but is a good base from which to work ( oh! did I mention SWMBO loves it? Wink ).
I just feel this Number Plate thing is just plain silly. I don't care where they stick it so long as it meets local regulations and I don't get pulled over for "Having A Number Plate In A Silly Position" or "Failing to Have an Asymmetric Split Tailgate".
No amount of arguing or expressions of angst are going to change a thing. We on this and other forums constitute a tiny fraction of 1% of those who will buy this.
I love that I can carry on into the wild blue yonder, when the BMW, Audi and Mercedes SUV's have to stop and turn around. That's the 'difference' for me. D5 can take you to places very few others can and in a degree of comfort only matched by the SUV brigade when they're on road.
D5, so much more than an SUV!

Post #180761325th Apr 2017 3:33 am
Platypus47

Ps you're only paying £70000?
Over here ours is costing £88,000 or AU$150000.
First Edition, as it comes.

Post #180761425th Apr 2017 3:38 am
Bullova06

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 3
Interesting posts

Red Merle wrote:
At this sort of price, every single little detail can be judged.

I know that it's had to change to follow fashion, to search for lighter weight and make it more palitable for the mass car buying public, but there are also many different aspects of the car that have been a backward step, most notably around practicality and loading.

Putting a wonky plate on, as a continuous memory of practicality lost, is not something that's easy to overlook.

Reading this subject of my potential move from D3 to something else was one of the reasons to see what's being said & adding a few bits.
Reading back a lot further from where the whole vehicle want a known, sneak previews, then speculation, whats there is there now. Some have & post in the D5 site with already quite serious issues that aren't software issues, others are OK - but are bound to be concerned. Some worthwhile reading for me about towing.
A number plate should be just that - having a Land Rover theme like the clam shell bonnet etc ok..if you are into style - which is a user perceived thing. Some other poster way back was on about function dictating form - to me a spot on statement.
The whole car has been altered theme wise as lifestyle - 7 seats - this & this alone has altered practical aspects of the new car, the plate is on a single tailgate that will suit some - single tailgate it has to be as that's what's there for the model life of the vehicle
I prefer the split tailgate it simply works for me. - maybe not others
The number plate could get facelifted out & what should
be early model run issues engineered out - essential things like reduced / poorly shaped configured load space, seven not so comfortable seats instead of five really good ones . These can't be altered so won't be.
Those with new discos have made thier choice probably aren't bothered with what's being written - they have to use what they have which isn't exact,y a low value purchase.
I'm sort of flitting btween the two discussion areas trying to get a handle on the facts from actual buyers, potentially I might be one in some months.

Thanks to those who have discos with issues writing here & those
sharing thier choice factors - it's nice to see a site where the two
are mixed without restrictions. Good site.

Post #180761825th Apr 2017 6:28 am
petersw

Platypus47 wrote:
petersw wrote:

Some available tyres for 18" rims include:

Bridgestone D697 LT-construction LT265/60R18
Cooper AT3 265/60R18
Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60R18
Achillies Desert Hawk Xtreme MT 265/60R18
Continental CrossContact AT 255/60R18
General Grabber AT 255/60R18
Yokohama Geolander AT/S 265/60R18
Goodyear Silent Armor 265/60R18
Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/60R18
Pirelli ATR 265/60R18
BFG AT LT-construction LT265/65R18

Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18 (requires slight modification to fit)
Maxxis Bighorn MT LT275/65R18 (requires HS shortened rods + modification to fit)

More choice of tyre, more sidewall flex with smaller wheel assuming same rolling radius.

What I was trying to say standard 19" wheels on a D5 have a 60 profile whereas 19" on D4 have 55 profile.

Click image to enlarge

This from D5
 Peter  
Post #180762325th Apr 2017 7:00 am
petersw

One I made earlier

My much loved D4 fitted in her Compomotives Very Happy

Peter  
Post #180763925th Apr 2017 8:14 am
Platypus47

PererSW
Interesting that they're now using a 60 profile. So a greater rolling radius?
Ours is coming with the 22" as standard. No choice, so the Compomotives are a likely accessory for the off-road bits.
(ps your car has a very offset number plate Laughing , I hope they continue that design feature on the new one! Whistle )

Post #180765325th Apr 2017 9:27 am
petersw

Quote:

Interesting that they're now using a 60 profile. So a greater rolling radius?

As far as I'm aware the D5 has a greater rolling radius.

Make sure you get confirmation the 18" Compomotives (PD 1881 ET44) will fit the D5 .... the brake calipers look bigger, if not the discs.
 Peter  
Post #180769725th Apr 2017 12:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >