Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Out of LR warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Barry C-All

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
Out of LR warranty

My Disco 4 will be 3 years old in November, an so out of Land Rover's warranty. The thought of running a Disco with no warranty doesn't appeal to me at all. On my previous Disco 3 I had Land Rover's extended warranty which proved very worth while. So far Disco 4 has performed faultlessly, but I still remember the Disco 3 and its problems. I would take out Land Rover's own extended warranty again, for which they want about £1,000 per year which seems to me to be excessive. I am also aware that these days you tend to get what you pay for, don't pay a lot, don't get a lot! Has anyone got any recommendations for any other warranty company that gives similar cover to Land Rover, maybe for less money? Any information based on experience would be appreciated.

Post #18434742nd Aug 2017 10:58 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I bought my Disco just after the original warranty expired. They (at the time) gave me a year's warranty and I've renewed it yearly since then. I've had a good bit of use out of it although not as much monetary-wise as the warranty costs. But the real thing is the peace of mind if something big were to go wrong.

Whenever it's gone in for service, I've told them of any faults and the dealer has sorted out liaising with the warranty people and done it all seamlessly. Of course, with any warranty normal wear and tear won't be included, but they seem to have a reasonable lifetime estimate for items and if they fail before that, it's no quibble. For example, the wheel bearings on one wheel started rumbling and that was done under warranty. But this is a case of diminishing returns as the car ages and components reach beyond their expected lifespan.

I can't comment on the efficacy of other warranties, but can recommend the LR extended warranty based on my experiences. They do have a select warranty too, which is a few hundred quid cheaper but this doesn't cover everything although major components seem to be.

Post #18434913rd Aug 2017 1:47 am
LaserTam

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Have a look in this section, several threads on the subject
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/finance-insu...-vf24.html

I too have a LR extended warranty. Yes its pricey, but in both the 2 years that I have had it, its saved me money as the repairs would have been more. Like any insurance, its a gamble, but I do like the peace of mind that (within reason) I will not have to find any more money should an issue arise. Dont forget the LR scheme also includes LR Assist for roadside issues, other providers may not include this, so AA/RAC type cover may have to factored in, should you consider that important. As said, there are a few LR options which are cheaper. You can pay it monthly too.
 MY2012 D4 HSE Nara Bronze with some extra stuff  
Post #18434973rd Aug 2017 6:34 am
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

Pay it monthly and then you can cancel it at anytime in the future. It also takes the sting out of it.
I extended mine and glad I did - already quids in Thumbs Up
 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
RR Vogue SE 2011 4.4 TDV8
1974 Lightweight 

Post #18435023rd Aug 2017 7:25 am
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Pedros wrote:
Of course, with any warranty normal wear and tear won't be included, but they seem to have a reasonable lifetime estimate for items and if they fail before that, it's no quibble. For example, the wheel bearings on one wheel started rumbling and that was done under warranty. But this is a case of diminishing returns as the car ages and components reach beyond their expected lifespan.

Not true...some third party warranty companies cover wear and tear. I have just renewed with warranty direct. The new kid on the block is motoreasy who seem to be doing a fair bit of undercutting to get the business. Both companies use at least similar, if not identical paperwork and policies. there are a fair few areas you can negotiate with them on such as 13months for 12, zero excess, zero betterment, emissions & airbags cover, stereo cover etc etc. Do a search on here, there are plenty threads on aftermarket warranties.

Post #18435293rd Aug 2017 8:53 am
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

just keep where you are they know you...a grand is not a lot if these toys go wrong

Post #18437583rd Aug 2017 5:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zikzik

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

When my LR warranty ran out, I decided not to pay their ransom and just bought green flag assistance to get me home or wherever. But, I only do about 10k miles per year.

Insurance of any sort is for people who can't afford to take the risk, which is most of us. I only have it when a legal requirement. Been like that for 20 plus years. Thats a lot of premiums saved to make repairs to stuff!
 D4 XS new November 2013, RLD Spare protector, Bodsy bars
2010 (60) Jag XF 3.0 P Lux. Gone but not forgotten
2012 Toyota IQ 1.3 auto (The wife's)
Hymer motorhome
2001 Triumph Bonneville 

Post #18439114th Aug 2017 7:52 am
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

Until your crank snaps!

From bitter experience I wouldn't entertain having one of these cars without a warranty (personally I'd only want a LR warranty too). They just have the ability to be hugely expensive if they go wrong, sure I can accept that it's a gamble that may pay off and not all Discos will have expensive problems, but having been on the receiving end of an £18k bill to get my car worth about £21k back on the road, I wouldn't take the risk!

Post #18439164th Aug 2017 8:15 am
Jaggz

United Kingdom 

I took a warranty wise out for 2 years for £1200, only opted for 4K per individual claim, unlimited claims to value of car (about18k they said ) thinking that would be enough, it paid for a wheel bearing at £330 no problem and then the oil pump tensioner went, they paid the 4K no questions asked no assessor etc but I had to pay the rest. I thought 4 k would sort most things out little did I know landrover seem to think 79k is reasonable out of an engine.

I also had an Rac warranty about £80 a year with 5 claims into £750 per claim, you have to literally breakdown for this though not just strange noises / wear etc. My ACE pipe burst on the rubber part dumping the fluid and all sort of warnings, the warranty wise wouldn't cover pipes and hoses however as I had it recovered RAC paid £750 of a total of £920 bill which replaced all the front ACE pipes.

Not too bad all in all I'm well in front with claims but regret not taking a higher cover

Post #18439844th Aug 2017 11:46 am
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I just bought a D4 with 2 years warranty from the dealers, and at the time of purchase added another 3 year for £1099.00

Post #18440194th Aug 2017 3:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mikeyb

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

are you tied in to overpriced dealer servicing to validate the LR warranty?
 Not such a Disco Newbie now!
IID BT 

Post #18440304th Aug 2017 4:45 pm
julianf7

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Brilliant. I was reading this thread as I was in the throes of getting back into a Disco after a few aberrant years away. MarkOne, I just used your example to get the dealer to match the price for a 3 year extension. Thank you Bow down I think I owe the site a donation!

MikeyB, in my case, no requirement to use a main dealer, just any VAT registered garage.

Post #18440374th Aug 2017 5:11 pm
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It is a good price, I have 5 year cover for that price, fair enough 2 years is already built into the price of the sale but you can be guaranteed it will only ever get more expensive. Now is the time for anyone thinking of extending their warranty.

Post #18440864th Aug 2017 7:57 pm
Zikzik

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Robert SausageTrousers wrote:
Until your crank snaps!

From bitter experience I wouldn't entertain having one of these cars without a warranty (personally I'd only want a LR warranty too). They just have the ability to be hugely expensive if they go wrong, sure I can accept that it's a gamble that may pay off and not all Discos will have expensive problems, but having been on the receiving end of an £18k bill to get my car worth about £21k back on the road, I wouldn't take the risk!

Is the percentage known of cars sold where the crank snaps?
Just found it applies to engines built between 2009 and 2012.
 D4 XS new November 2013, RLD Spare protector, Bodsy bars
2010 (60) Jag XF 3.0 P Lux. Gone but not forgotten
2012 Toyota IQ 1.3 auto (The wife's)
Hymer motorhome
2001 Triumph Bonneville 

Post #18444576th Aug 2017 5:54 am
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

Not that I know of, but I'm sure the percentage would be minute, but its best to make sure you're covered just in case, cranks aren't the only expensive fix on these cars!

As far as I know, there are reports of failed cranks in all MY.

Post #18444796th Aug 2017 8:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >