Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > North America & LR3/4

LR3 Block Heater
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RWLM

Canada 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
LR3 Block Heater

Just took the Rover in to have an oil change and asked about a block heater. The dealer says the LR3 ships with a block heater installed but no cord connected. He then went on to say that they cannot install a cord as Land Rover doesn't have a genuine LR accessory part. Can anyone confirm this? It's not a big deal to go to the local parts store and pick one up, it just seems rather stupid to have to do that for a new vehicle, especially in this price range.

Post #10330420th Nov 2006 6:12 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The Fuel Burning Heater is there to assist, and only assist automatically, the warm up and stay warm of the engine in cold weather.

A number of 3rd parties do add-ons (expensive) to add timers etc.

Post #10330920th Nov 2006 6:22 pm
paf1

Canada 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeLR4

Interetsing, the dealer (assume it is the same one in Calgary) told me there wasnt a block heater and that land rover dont make one for the lr3. They said it doesnt need it.

The FBH is only on the diesel engine not the V8 petrol.

I am taking mine to the world cup downhill next week end at Lake Louise, we are forecast a high of -22 so it will be interesting to see how the lr3 handles starting up.
 '10 LR4 Nara Bronze V8 HSE + everything
Honda Odyssey 2010 Touring 

Post #10332220th Nov 2006 6:48 pm
RWLM

paf1 wrote:
Interetsing, the dealer (assume it is the same one in Calgary) told me there wasnt a block heater and that land rover dont make one for the lr3. They said it doesnt need it.

Yep, it's the calgary dealer. It will be interesting to see if I can actually find this alleged existing block heater.....

I've heard that line before "doesn't need it". I grew up on the praries and lived 4 years in the arctic. In my experience every car needs it. If you ask me dealers should just install them. I'll bet the vehicle they drive has one.

That being said, I have done a cold start in the moring at -45C in the middle of nowhere, 3hrs from the closest community (with a Nissan Pathfinder). Definitely not something I would want to do on a regular basis with a vehicle I wanted to keep. It barely stayed running for the first 10min.

Post #10332820th Nov 2006 7:19 pm
paf1

Let me know if you find the block heater!! I probably wouldnt recognise one if it hit me on the head. Recently arrived brit in Calgary with no idea on cold weather car equipment!!!

Post #10332920th Nov 2006 7:22 pm
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

RWLM wrote:
I grew up on the praries and lived 4 years in the arctic. In my experience every car needs it.

Do you want to stay in the arctic? I'd rather go back to the praries...

Post #10333020th Nov 2006 7:27 pm
bc brit

Canada 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Hey paf1
i see your another sucker like me,move to Canada but still buy Solihull barges,i bought an lr3 v6 se and an range rover sport last week
must be mad,but it is that little bit of england we still crave for,o and the footie.
great move moving here eh eh,as you can see i also speak canadian now eh eh Laughing
 EX BRUMMIE LIVING IN MOOSE LAND

RANGE ROVER SPORT O6
LR3 O6 

Post #10376122nd Nov 2006 8:02 am
RWLM

Block Heater Alternative

Hey Paf1,

How did the weekend go? I have been busy so I haven't had a chance to respond. Got under the truck this weekend and confirmed that there is a block heater on the driver side, it is however very hard to access. We pulled off the main skid plate, fully raised the suspension and turned the wheels to full lock. You can then see where you are headed, but it's tight. With a cold exhaust you might be able to force a hand in there.

I had guessed at the cord as part stores around here don't have LR3 info and I guessed wrong. After some more research I learned that the only cord that will work comes directly from Ford, you can't get them at canadian tire, or parts source, etc. Also, I have learned that the Calgary Dealer has changed their policy and will now fit a cord if specifically requested by the customer and as long as the customer takes full responsibility for a non "Land Rover" part. Apparently they now also have them in stock. So you can go back to them and request a cord be installed, but be aware that you will be paying shop rate for them to install and it would probably take them an hour so it will cost ya $100-$150.

I decided to go a different route as I didn't want to wait 2 weeks to get an appointment. I went with an external mount element that glues right onto the oil pan (see pic below). The toughest part was getting the cord routed to the front, and that wasn't very hard. It seems to work as it was -27C this morning (-40 with the wind) and the truck fired right up.

So to sum it up if you park in a warm garage you can probably get away without some form of block heater, but sadly our truck doesn't fit throught the door of our garage so it has to stay outside. Thankfully these cold snaps don't last long in Calgary.

Post #10506427th Nov 2006 5:20 pm
paf1

Thanks for the info on the block heater, i am going to think about whether or not to get that cord.

Weekend at Lake Louise was excellent, didnt get to try a cold start on saturday as the hotel had heated underground parking. However the LR3 start outside in the cold all day whilst i was skiing, not sure how cold it was but i picked up a bit of frostbite on my face so pretty cold. Anyway the car started fine after sitting out for 6 odd hours.

This time last year i had a jeep grand cherokee v8 and i didnt use the block heater on it and it always started fine.

Not sure whether to go get the cord or not? At home the car will always be garaged, so it is just if we stay somewhere with (a) outside parking and (b) a hookup for the heater.

Post #10550829th Nov 2006 12:31 am
cleppard

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Did anybody get anywhere with this? if so do you have any pics of the heater on the block so I know what to look for?

Post #5306326th Oct 2009 6:32 pm
baskey70

Canada 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

Unnecessary quote removed

Following on from Cleppard - is this block heater on all NASpec LR3's? I just bought one up to Calgary from Texas and am getting it winterized tomorrow. My mechanic is talking about an inline heater as he doesn't think the block of the LR3 has the ability to withstand an aftermarket block heater?

Can anyone advise?

Cheers

JB

Post #5590612nd Dec 2009 5:20 am
davesimmons

Canada 

Sorry to butt in, but did you import your LR3 from the USA and if so how easy was it to do, did you have the speedo changed and day time light activated etc, how does Land Rover Canada deal with any warranty issues with it coming from the Land Rover USA, also was it alot cheaper in the States to buy the car

I'm interested as there could be a possibility that we are moving to the Calgary area in 2010 and would like to get a D3-LR3, also is there a off roading club or something where you are.
 Welcome to the Global Warming Corner.  
Post #5591392nd Dec 2009 10:31 am
baskey70

Canada 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

Unnecessary quote removed

It was very easy to import. The Canadian Border Services Agency were miserable about it but as long as you have your paperwork in order there is not much they can do.
Yes I did save myself what I consider alot of money. It would be anywhere between $10k - $20k more expensive to buy up here.
I actually purchased from a Land Rover dealer and they hooked the vehicle up to their computer and activated the set up for Canada. All the NAS imports are the same vehicle they just change the location set up via computer. The speedo does not need to be changed, it has kms on the inside and mls on the outside. As long as it shows kms you are good.

Warranty - not sure and not too worried. Its a 2007 with about 7,000 miles left on the warranty.

There are definitely off-roading clubs and I'm sure Land Rover clubs in the area.

Post #5593352nd Dec 2009 5:08 pm
davesimmons

Canada 

Thanks for the reply, sounds like a plan if we ever get there Thumbs Up
 Welcome to the Global Warming Corner.  
Post #5594162nd Dec 2009 7:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >