Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

LR3 DIY?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
boon4376

United States 
LR3 DIY?

Are there a lot of DIY repairers around here? The reason being I most likely cannot afford an LR3 that is still under warranty and will be attempting a lot of the repairs on my own.

I've been in some forums where there's no DIY help at all, or most are "take it to the dealer" I'm hoping you guys will be as good with LR3's as some of the older forums are with the original discovery. (a lot of the american LR3 forums are kinda sad. Less than 1000 total threads and not a lot of activity, thats why im here Wink )

Recommended repair manual?

And do the LR3's really live up to their bad rep in terms of reliability?
 Looking for an SUV....  
Post #3990378th Jan 2009 10:39 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: LR3 DIY?

boon4376 wrote:

And do the LR3's really live up to their bad rep in terms of reliability?

Oh they're terrible ...I would never buy one Rolling Eyes
Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #3990478th Jan 2009 10:45 pm
POINTYED

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

dear boon
we will help and give advice as much as we can Thumbs Up
positive comments get positive replies Thumbs Up
and in the uk its called a D3
cheers
dunc Thumbs Up
 life is tooooo short.enjoy the moment.dont worry be happy

club BSS 

Post #3990958th Jan 2009 11:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

as for reliability awful, all 265,000 miles of it Very Happy

Post #3990998th Jan 2009 11:22 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Not to say it's unreliable, but if you can't afford a warranty, you may run into repairs you can't afford either.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #3991148th Jan 2009 11:29 pm
boon4376

United States 

sideview wrote:
Not to say it's unreliable, but if you can't afford a warranty, you may run into repairs you can't afford either.

Let me change that to "I cant afford a certified pre-owned". I'm most likely looking at something with over 60,000 miles on it. I can find them with 80k+ for under $15,000, but once you get to the certified area, they all jump up to over $22,000. I have a $20k spending limit and i figure i should just buy, for example, a 2006 with 80k miles on it for ~$15,000 and put the savings in a "repair account".
I'm just hoping i'll be able to do a lot of the repairs myself..

I just want to know, how much you average in repairs per year (a $ amount, or pound amount, i can convert it myself). My saab 9000 averages over $2000 / year so having an unreliable car is nothing new to me.
Will i expect to replace the airbag suspension every 10k miles? Is everything that breaks going to be a fancy electrical prob that only a dealer can diagnose? Or have you guys been able to DIY on a lot of things that the dealer would charge huge sums of money for?
 Looking for an SUV....  
Post #3994779th Jan 2009 4:35 pm
al cope

England 

come on chaps - give this guy some support.

Although, its not a completly easy thing to answer. as with most new stuff, there is an awful lot of electrickery which isnt easy to diagnose without the right tools, but you may be able to use the dealer to diagnose, and then fix the actual problem yourself, after all, most bits bolt together. Trick with this forum is use the search feature, as we've seen "most" faults, and you'll probably find the fixes too. There are one or to common faults (EGR valves on the diesels here in the UK), but I dont think we've seen anything you couldnt fix if your handy with a tool set.

Chaps - feel free to pitch in anytime soon Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #3994889th Jan 2009 4:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
boon4376

United States 

Thanks Al, you guys have actually been a lot more helpful that most forums I ask questions on

One more question about technical service bulletins.

Are TSB's fixed by the dealer for free or, just recalls? (out of warranty)

I want one of these beasts so much, but I'm at the same time very nervous

I mean, I'm sure most of the failures that occur don't render the D3 "undrivable" (right?? Surprised ), And i'd never be in a huge rush to get things fixed right away. Plenty of time to request help from forums and such. + anything I fix on my own I usually create a very detailed DIY guide with plenty of pictures to help other guys like myself.
 Looking for an SUV....  
Post #3995249th Jan 2009 5:38 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Ah I gotcha Thumbs Up Now that LR3's have depreciated so much, I'm starting to see more people buying them up without considering they are still expensive to repair...then they complain about it when things go wrong Rolling Eyes

As Al says, probably a lot of things you could fix yourself if you can get it diagnosed and software updates at a dealer. The problem is, you may not find a ton of support for your repairs yet. Reason being, a lot of D3/LR3's are still under warranty, or just coming out of, so most work has still been carried out by the dealer - my 2005 still has warranty until June. (I'm in the same boat you are deciding $6K for extended warranty is not worth it.) You won't have a big pool of DIYers with years of know-how you'd find with a D1/D2, on this side of the pond anyway.

That being said, there are some extremely knowledgeable and experienced gents on this forum who are sooo helpful. I'm sure you could do it if you are the pioneering type that likes a challenge Razz and have the patience to learn the inner workings of it's computers/sensors.

As far as reliability, not had any major failures with my baby (knock on wood!), and everything that's gone wrong thusfar I could have repaired myself pretty easily. There's no guarantee though obviously, but they are pretty solid machines IMO.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #3995319th Jan 2009 5:46 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Hi,
In the UK the TSB's are not fixed for free out of the warranty period, although don't you have a 10year emission warranty in the US for emission based components?

All the simple stuff can be DIY'ed, the problem is most stuff which bring on warning lights usually need checking out with a dealer tool, or autologic.

The thing is, it will never be like the older vehicles, where eveything could be mended or beaten into submission by a hammer Laughing , but it is still a vehicle with lots of renewable parts.

The manual / tsb's etc are on GTR www.landrovertechinfo.com
which is quite inexpensive for one model/short time period.

hth
Steve

Post #3995349th Jan 2009 5:49 pm
LR3GuyJoe

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Boon a CPO is with in your budget. You just need to look for one in a private sale that is still under the CPO Warranty as the warranty is fully transferable.

Thats what I did and I still have about 30k miles left on the warranty and about 2 years.

Post #3995449th Jan 2009 6:04 pm
evosonicD3

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

boon, I was in the same shoes as yourself - just bought my LR3 last month ('05 HSE w/66k miles)! My advice? DO IT! You will love it. If you're like me you have probably wanted an LR for a long time, and my way of thinking was to buy one low priced and just be prepaired for the repairs that will happen. Spend it now or spend it later. You can spend $30k on a used LR3 (D3) with 10 - 20k miles on it, or spend half that on one with more miles and maybe you have to spend some money on it - but maybe not Wink

As far as the cost of repairs (unless you're talking problems with the air suspension) I think they're going to be about the same as any other 4x4. I just had the front differntial seal replaced on my '04 GMC Sierra Z71 at the dealer and it was $750.00. I had my D3 in the shop yesterday (1st time since I have owned it) and had the thermostat (coolant) replaced and it was $175.00.

I bought my D3 from a guy who is well known at the local LR dealer for meticulously maintaing his LR's (he has 5) and both the service manager and head technician both recommended this vehicle to me. Hope that helps Thumbs Up

Post #40277315th Jan 2009 5:04 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

As with all cars, preowned even more, you can be lucky or not.
I bought a G4 and it's now at the dealer for 2 weeks repairs: gearbox seal, front diff seal and another list with small things.
What I found is that mayor repairs on a D3/LR3 take more time than on an older Discovery. I could change my gearbox on my Camel within 10 hours without special equipment. They quoted 24 hours for changing a seal on the auto gearbox of my D3.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #40279515th Jan 2009 5:30 pm
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I would also say spend the £9 and get a days access to GTR and download the complete workshop manual or all the bits that you think you will work on. That helps make sure you do it right. You can also then view the service bulletins etc.

Cheers

Chris

Post #40280215th Jan 2009 5:37 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You can't compare the time to strip & replace a gearbox seal with the time taken to change a gearbox complete

Post #40280515th Jan 2009 5:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >