Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > North America & LR3/4

LR3 questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ryan

United States 
LR3 questions

I'm thinking about buying an LR3. I need an SUV which is capable offroad since we have a cabin deep in the mountains. I know the LR3 is up to the task. My wife's XC90 is worthless with AWD. Anyhow, I am concerned with all the problems I read about. The XC90 has spent it's fair share of time in the shop, but it is still a great car for what it was made to do. If the LR3 problems are minor annoyances then I could live with it. If you read any forums on any cars then all cars are unreliable except for Lexus/Toyota. The Land Cruiser is my other option, but I still like the looks/capability of the LR3. Are the LR3 problems that bad?

Post #14311226th Mar 2007 2:19 pm
scolliss

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

You will get a biased oppinion where-ever you seek one, but take a look around this site if you have not already done so.

What you will find is extensive feedback (and many solutions) on all the problems that have commonly been experienced but also that the members of this little bit of cyberspace are also on the whole, enthusiastic about their LR3's and accept there can be problems, but the "Permagrin" we all have seems to outwiegh it.

So in your own words you could class the problems as "minor annoyances". If they were bigger annoyances the folks on here would not be so in love with their cars.

Good luck, good research and it would be good to see you a future owner.
 Life is what you make it.  
Post #14311526th Mar 2007 2:27 pm
mrmarklin

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3
Re: LR3 questions

I did a little research on the LR3 before I recently bought mine, and it seems that the major problems are behind it ending with the 05 year. All these techno cars have some problems
just due to the complications that there are inherent in wanting the vehicle to do "everything". So, to some extent maintenance is the norm. I certainly have paid a high price for all my later model cars just in "normal" maintenance. They're too complex to not be expensive to maintain.Sad

That being said I'm more than happy with the LR3. It's certainly top dog off road.
 '06 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Heavy Duty package, Satellite Radio, Luxury Package  
Post #14326626th Mar 2007 10:59 pm
Ryan

United States 

The '05's seem to be a bit cheaper than the '06's. Would you say it would be best to stay away from the '05's?

Post #14332427th Mar 2007 3:43 am
mrmarklin

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

Ryan wrote:
The '05's seem to be a bit cheaper than the '06's. Would you say it would be best to stay away from the '05's?

I would, but here in the US the 05s are still under warranty. But with the 06 models you have Bluetooth and Satellite radio, which I consider significant upgrades.
 '06 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Heavy Duty package, Satellite Radio, Luxury Package  
Post #14332727th Mar 2007 5:44 am
JamesWyatt

United States 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Ryan, I say go for a new 2006 still on the lot. We got a new 2006 V6 LR3 about three weeks ago for $34,500. I had a $1,500 coupon from LRNA and the rest was factory incentives/dealer discounts. It's got the Cold Climate Package, Premium Package, Rear Seat & Climate Package, and Sirius Satellite Radio. This will cost you $46,450 in an 07 model. I would have paid close to sticker if I had bought this exact same LR3 at this time last year.

I had a 2004 G4 Discovery and was skeptical about the LR3 from the loaners I had driven. However, having your own that someone else has not mucked with makes a difference. The wife drives it and can't get that smug grin off her face every time she gets in it. I'm about to get to drive it off road this weekend and again in late April at a Rover rally, so I can't yet speak to the off-road ability. However, from everything I've read, people are often amazed at what they can do even in stock form.

Post #14332927th Mar 2007 6:44 am
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Hi Ryan, I wouldn't say to steer clear of 05 altogether if you find a great deal with low mileage & good maintenance records. I got an 05 in October and haven't had any issues except a leak in the washer reservoir.

Couple things I'd recommend whether you get an 05 or 06 -

Go through the services performed with the dealer and ensure that all TSBs have been done. Majority of issues have been resolved with software updates.

Check the tires for uneven wear. There's a problem with bushings that cause it & alignment needs to be done to resolve.

You may want one with the heavy duty package (full size spare & locking rear diff).

You might also want to get a set of AT/MT tires for offroad the stock tires suck IMO. Wink

It's a remarkable vehicle & offroad it's awesome!! Razz
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #14348027th Mar 2007 4:28 pm
dlm3

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

SV - what tires did you put on ? I'm in no hurry to replace my stock Goodyears (don't have 10K on it yet), but I'd still be interested in hearing what other LR3 owners are using on this side of the pond.

Thanks!

Post #1448591st Apr 2007 3:54 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

dlm3 wrote:
SV - what tires did you put on ? I'm in no hurry to replace my stock Goodyears (don't have 10K on it yet), but I'd still be interested in hearing what other LR3 owners are using on this side of the pond.

Thanks!

It depends on what you use your LR3 for. SV and I both use Nittos. I made a list of other popular choices:
http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=46

Post #1449301st Apr 2007 5:13 pm
angrd020

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Thanks for the list dude!

ALR
 2005 Tonga Green Land Rover LR3(Yes I wheel it!!!)
2002 Shale Green Jeep WranglerX(Yes I wheel it!!!)
1994 Red Jeep Cherokee (Use it as a spare vehicle)

DO IT! DO IT NOW!!! 

Post #1464839th Apr 2007 8:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >