Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

LR3: Stay, move to LR4 or move to Discovery 5 or FFRR or...?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4
LR3: Stay, move to LR4 or move to Discovery 5 or FFRR or...?

I'd appreciate some thoughts. Don't care how considered they are. Will try to be super-brief:

Had loads of D3s and 4s. Love them. Left th'Army, moved to the US, got a V8 LR3 and love it, too. We use ALL the room it has and the load carrying - a lot. We need a big car ("truck" Rolling with laughter ).

Been looking at LR4s a lot lately as the last of them (HSE Lux V6s) are coming off lease. Low mileage ones are around $40-45k.

But then I've been reading threads on the Disco 5 that they also have here in the US. Plus the FFRRs can be had for about $8-10k more than a comparable LR4. If I got a LR4, it'd be a keeper, because I don't think there's anything else on the market than can carry what it can without going into US things like the Suburban, etc, and these just aren't for me.

Questions:

1. How much does the Disco 5 differ in load carrying capacity to the Disco 4? (Forget the stats; I don't tow, but I do fill it up with a dog and camping gear, put two heavy kayaks on the roof, etc).

2. I assume the Disco 5 is capable off road, but how does it fair against a D4?

3. Is the Disco 5 better than the FFRR for carrying capacity? My view is that the FFRR is pretty useless for such a huge car. It only has 5 seats for starters.

Sooooo conflicted. I desperately feel like I should get one of the last D4s and really look after it, but have the fear of missing out on something better!!

Grateful for advice.

Thanks.
 PAGODA  
Post #210170225th Nov 2019 3:01 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

LR4 forever
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #210171125th Nov 2019 9:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I had a D4 for over 6 years and now have a D5. I can't comment on the FFRR.

Load space: I carry a lot of kit in the boot for work, the boot is completely full to the top of the 2nd row of seats. When I moved my kit from the D4 to D5, I had to get some bigger boxes to fill the space neatly. With the 2nd row of seats up, the D5 has more useable floor area in the boot and the lower half has more volume. However, the sloping sides cut in higher up and so you lose out on space at the top. If you want to carry washing machines in the boot then the D4 has the advantage.

Off-road, I've taken the D5 every where I've been in the D4. The D5 has more ground clearance and is more capable, it feels like it's using significantly less effort and has more ability in reserve if needed. The D5 is also more comfortable but it is significantly wider and the D4 has better all-round visibility so the D5 is more difficult in narrow gateways and gaps. The cameras are very helpful in tight spaces.

On road, the D5 is more comfortable, quicker and more economical than the D4. The driving position is more car-like, you feel lower in the car but and actual comparison shows that this is mostly just an illusion and there is really very little difference in driver's eye level between the two vehicles.
 MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!
MY2012 D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - retired to a new home

Post #210171425th Nov 2019 10:09 am
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I was going to move to a 4.4TDV8 FFRR, but just couldn't put up with the rear seats not folding forward completely flat.

They fold to about 20 deg from flat, and coupled with the length of the boot being shorter than a D3/4, it seriously restricts what you can carry.

Nasher
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #210173225th Nov 2019 11:51 am
Pelyma

England 

As you're in the USA why not a pickup truck? I've been in a few RAMs and they are equal to a D4 inside and have huge carrying capacity.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #210173325th Nov 2019 12:05 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Questions:

1. How much does the Disco 5 differ in load carrying capacity to the Disco 4? (Forget the stats; I don't tow, but I do fill it up with a dog and camping gear, put two heavy kayaks on the roof, etc).

A good length load bay, with a wide floor, but much less headroom, especially over the back seats. The door opening is lower and narrower, especially the higher up you go. The door aperture is rounded off in the top corners. The tailgate is very large and you won't be able to open it easily in confined spaces, while the loading height is higher, even with the suspension dropped as low as it will go. The seats are a lot easier to lower, even if the contribute to the very high boot floor when they're folded. The roof rails are a lot less practical and adaptable than the full length channels on the LR4.

2. I assume the Disco 5 is capable off road, but how does it fair against a D4?

It's lighter, which is good. It will wade deeper (700mm increases to 900mm). The visibility in all directions is poorer and it's a lot harder to place the front corners in tricky situations.

3. Is the Disco 5 better than the FFRR for carrying capacity? My view is that the FFRR is pretty useless for such a huge car. It only has 5 seats for starters.

by any normal measure, the FFRR has a great boot. But, to be fair, the boot’s not a patch on either the D5, or especially the D4 (and I've got one!). The roof rack on the Fatty’s a disaster. The FFRR's talents lie elsewhere Thumbs Up The floor area is excellent, the loading height is better than the D5, as is the forward and over the shoulder visibility, but the rear seats don't fold anywhere near flat, the interior height isn't there and the rear glass slopes a bit. It does, at least, have a proper split tailgate though.

Sooooo conflicted. I desperately feel like I should get one of the last D4s and really look after it, but have the fear of missing out on something better!!

For what you need, the D4 is the one to go for, followed some way behind by the D5. Forget the FFRR unless, like me, you use a box trailer when you go away or carry loads for work, then you can take a lot more than you can ever fit on or in even a D4!

2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Last edited by Red Merle on 25th Nov 2019 1:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #210173725th Nov 2019 12:36 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I'd have a petrol LR4

Post #210174125th Nov 2019 1:06 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Pelyma wrote:
As you're in the USA why not a pickup truck? I've been in a few RAMs and they are equal to a D4 inside and have huge carrying capacity.

Or a fifth gen. Ford Explorer, which is based on the D4 platform, and with the sixth gen. available, you may find one at a steep discount. If not big enough, then aim for a behemoth like the Lincoln Navigator.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #210175625th Nov 2019 2:39 pm
Pelyma

England 

They are making this next year.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/special-editions/1500/trx.html
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #210176025th Nov 2019 3:06 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

For all round practicality & versatility nothing beats the D4. Anything else is a compromise and it depends on your use what you want to sacrifice.

The FFRR is better for me 90% of the time.

For load carrying I've bought a hatchbag with the extra section that attaches to the headrest on the front seats, so acts a bit like an apron. I also have a full set of rubber mats.

You do get spoilt by a D3/4, but I so rarely need a 6th or 7th seat nowadays and even with the rear seats not folding flat (the biggest compromise by far for me) it's still a good load lugger. The boot will take my dog cage, but without the useful space between it and the rear of the seats Sad

Newly fitted Hatchbag:

By way of compensation I still have a proper usable split tail gate and 740nm of torque Smile Plus the main reason for me, the same Command Driving position. Something the D5 doesn’t have.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #210176725th Nov 2019 3:51 pm
greg00

Switzerland 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

What about the Defender 2020?
If they had announced it as a Discovery 5 back then, everybody would be happy.

Post #210210827th Nov 2019 11:15 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

There’s much I like about the Defender, but it’s not a D4 replacement for me. I want a split tailgate for starters.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #210210927th Nov 2019 11:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >