Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

LR3 won't start after warm up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
-cisco-

United States 
LR3 won't start after warm up

My 2005 LR3 won't start after warm up. 8V. 4.4L Gasoline engine. It will crank but it will not run until it gets little cooler, 30 minutes or so later....I just bought it at Las Vegas and drove it to El Paso, Texas, about 12 hours drive. It ran like a champ, but once at its new home, the problem started. Any help appreciated. Thanks In Advance!

Post #216201219th Jul 2020 3:30 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

On my older cars I’d say this sounds like vapor lock. I don’t know enough about the V8 (despite owning one) to help diagnose this.

If it were me, I’d start there and do a bit of googling.

Simone wiser will be along soon.

Just a thought, but if you can find ethanol free fuel near you, fill up with that and see if it helps. If it does help, it’s probably vapor lock.
 PAGODA  
Post #216201319th Jul 2020 4:29 am
-cisco-

United States 

Premium Gasoline its all I being fueling mi LR3 with. I'm going crazy allover the forums for days. I tough it was a standard failure, but it seems is not. I'm a new LR3 owner. I own 1995 LR Disco One for years and no need for scanner, so Ill have to get me a good reader to start reading codes on my new to me LR3.

Post #216201419th Jul 2020 5:01 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi -cisco- and welcome, you will need a diagnostic tool for you Discovery as they are complex vehicles compared with your previous D2. As for your current issue it could well be vapour lock. Or, it could be any one of either the crank, camshaft, or temp sensors. Over time these can start to "breakdown" internally due to heat and particularly so in warm climates.

A good quality diagnostic tool, preferably dedicated LR should point the way. Thumbs Up

Have a look at GAP Diagnostics!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #216203019th Jul 2020 9:06 am
pagoda

-cisco- wrote:
Premium Gasoline its all I being fueling mi LR3 with. I'm going crazy allover the forums for days. I tough it was a standard failure, but it seems is not. I'm a new LR3 owner. I own 1995 LR Disco One for years and no need for scanner, so Ill have to get me a good reader to start reading codes on my new to me LR3.

Premium fuel isn't the same as ethanol free fuel. I was recommending ETHANOL FREE fuel. You can look on various websites to see where suppliers are near you. Some states don't sell it. I can't imagine TX doesn't but easy to check via google.
 PAGODA  
Post #216227620th Jul 2020 2:20 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

My understanding is that in USA “Premium” fuel has a MON value of 87-88 (and pump shows AKI values) which is roughly equivalent to 97 RON. Premium fuel there has a maximum (although not necessarily always?) ethanol content of 10% per gallon of fuel.

Here I fill the D3 with 95E10 which is 95 RON and contains similarly 10% ethanol. I have never fueled 98E5 (98 RON with 5% ethanol) and certainly not 99 RON (Called Shell v-Power over here) which would be completely ethanol free.

OP doesn’t have an IID (yet?) but looking at engine live values when turning ignition would probably be very useful... besides reading codes.

Post #216229420th Jul 2020 3:44 pm
pagoda

It depends.

In New Jersey, where I live, all fuel sold at petrol stations contains ethanol at about 10% as you say.

In New York, close to where I live, certain fuel stations also sell ethanol free fuel - old fashioned unleaded petrol, as it were. The market for this fuel tends to be the skidoo fraternity, but it's also sold at or near small airfields (I don't know what fuel light ac use but there are definitely a number of airfields that sell unleaded, ethanol free fuel). The price is about the same. I get it whenever I pass one of those stations.

If the OP has vapour lock, unleaded ethanol free might help diagnose, as it should be less pronounced. Maybe. Or not.

Agree that to settle this he needs to get a IID tool! Thumbs Up
 PAGODA  
Post #216239721st Jul 2020 12:14 am
-cisco-

United States 

pagoda wrote:
On my older cars I’d say this sounds like vapor lock. I don’t know enough about the V8 (despite owning one) to help diagnose this.

If it were me, I’d start there and do a bit of googling.

Simone wiser will be along soon.

Just a thought, but if you can find ethanol free fuel near you, fill up with that and see if it helps. If it does help, it’s probably vapor lock.
Thanks. I only use "Premium" gasoline. A local mechanic told me It may be the Crankshaft sensor or the Fuel Pump.  
Post #216706911th Aug 2020 8:48 am
-cisco-

United States 

pagoda wrote:
-cisco- wrote:

Premium fuel isn't the same as ethanol free fuel. I was recommending ETHANOL FREE fuel. You can look on various websites to see where suppliers are near you. Some states don't sell it. I can't imagine TX doesn't but easy to check via google.
Thanks.I'll check it out tomorrow.  
Post #216707311th Aug 2020 8:51 am
-cisco-

United States 

kajtzu wrote:
My understanding is that in USA “Premium” fuel has a MON value of 87-88 (and pump shows AKI values) which is roughly equivalent to 97 RON. Premium fuel there has a maximum (although not necessarily always?) ethanol content of 10% per gallon of fuel.

Here I fill the D3 with 95E10 which is 95 RON and contains similarly 10% ethanol. I have never fueled 98E5 (98 RON with 5% ethanol) and certainly not 99 RON (Called Shell v-Power over here) which would be completely ethanol free.

OP doesn’t have an IID (yet?) but looking at engine live values when turning ignition would probably be very useful... besides reading codes.
IID Scanner is not in my budget, I have spend all my savings purchasing my Old New 2005 Disco3 and having hard time to get new title and Licence plates. May be I'll ask Santa for a scanner Rolling with laughter  
Post #216707411th Aug 2020 8:56 am
-cisco-

United States 

pagoda wrote:
It depends.

In New Jersey, where I live, all fuel sold at petrol stations contains ethanol at about 10% as you say.

In New York, close to where I live, certain fuel stations also sell ethanol free fuel - old fashioned unleaded petrol, as it were. The market for this fuel tends to be the skidoo fraternity, but it's also sold at or near small airfields (I don't know what fuel light ac use but there are definitely a number of airfields that sell unleaded, ethanol free fuel). The price is about the same. I get it whenever I pass one of those stations.

If the OP has vapour lock, unleaded ethanol free might help diagnose, as it should be less pronounced. Maybe. Or not.

IID Scanner is not in my budget, I have spend all my savings purchasing my Old New 2005 Disco3 and having hard time to get new title and Licence plates. May be I'll ask Santa for a scanner Rolling with laughter I know Land Rovers are very expensive to keep, but I'm in love with them.  
Post #216707611th Aug 2020 8:59 am
-cisco-

United States 

I took my LR3 to the mechanic yesterday and he connected computer and recommend to put a new set of spark plugs to begin with, tomorrow in the morning I'll do that, and see what codes will get after that.

Post #216707811th Aug 2020 9:03 am
-cisco-

United States 

pagoda wrote:
It depends.

I wish I had the IID tool, but its out of my budget for the moment. I have spend all my savings on this lovely Old, New to me LR3  
Post #216733313th Aug 2020 6:46 am
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

-cisco- wrote:
I took my LR3 to the mechanic yesterday and he connected computer and recommend to put a new set of spark plugs to begin with, tomorrow in the morning I'll do that, and see what codes will get after that.

Did he get any codes ?
How many miles has it done ?
Have you cleaned the Throttle Body, MAF sensor and fitted new PU valve? All 3 are very easy DIY jobs.

Post #216733913th Aug 2020 7:51 am
-cisco-

United States 
Starting Problem after warm up

Computer generated several codes. Them, he cleared it all. Re do the test and came up with misfiring, 3, 7 and 8 . Put a set of new spark plugs and a new set of 8 Coils on Plug, new cooler Container Bottle. (It was leaking a little) Engine light is no more blinking or showing. Engine temp is constant in the middle.
I went to Juarez Mexico mountains yesterday (Sunday 16-2020) en my MLR3 behaves like a 4X4 monster.
Lots of power with a 4.4L. No problem at all, however the mechanic told me if it ever gets overheating for any other reason and has problems running, he recommended to put a new Fuel Pump, and a new Crankshaft sensor. Days ago I was very sad, I just spend all my savings to purchase my new-used LR3 and no joy whatsoever, today everybody is happy at home. edited.
Throttle Body its clean and MAF was cleaned. I also got me an extra MAF sensor from a local used auto parts. " fitted new PU valve? All 3 are very easy DIY jobs." What's a PU Valve?
Thanks to everybody for your comments .

Post #216835817th Aug 2020 9:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >