DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

LR4/D4 new buyer questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
xetas

United States 
LR4/D4 new buyer questions

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums, just trying to do some research on the US LR4. Initially my wife and I went into the LR dealership to take a look at some RRS's however, we were enticed by the size/strength of the LR4.

Any recommendations on options?
Things to look for at the dealer?
Negotiation tips?

I realize this is a more UK friendly forum but, the information I've seen and searched for have all been invaluable. Thank you all!

Also, if you can share your personal opinions about your LR4's it would be much appreciated! Thanks again!
Thumbs Up

Post #7686351st Mar 2011 1:47 am
Pollski

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Morning !

I'm a bit of a newby here too Smile)

We are picking up our D4 HSE on Friday so will be able to give you an update. There are so many additional extras to think about and it all depends on what weather you have, vehicle useage etc. We live in Kent in the SE of England and have added the cool box (we have kids), remote park heating, ipod dock, 20" alloys, privacy glass and black leather. As you know, the HSE has loads of additional features anyway.

My husband did the deal as he is better at negotiating than me.

Have to say this is a brilliant forum. Everyone is really friendly. You have definitely come to the right place !

And if you ever plan to relocate to the UK, I can recommend our dealer, who has been great.

Take care and welcome aboard Very Happy

Post #7686631st Mar 2011 9:29 am
xetas

United States 

Much appreciated Pollski!

We live in Massachusetts, North East of US. The LR4 will replace our BMW 330XI after two terrible winters together. We do have another child on the way so, I've been giving alot of thought to the "family" options such as the cooler box and rear heated seats/dvd entertainment package. Does the iPod dock work with all iPods or just the newer generation?

Also, I couldn't help but notice your name...are you by any chance Polish? (sorry if you get asked that alot) Smile

Post #7688181st Mar 2011 2:19 pm
Pollski

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Quote:
Also, I couldn't help but notice your name...are you by any chance Polish? (sorry if you get asked that alot) Smile

Smile Nope ... just an old handle from the old skool dayzzzz ... stuck with me for a long time now. I have been asked that a lot so please don't feel the need to apologise, I am very used to it ! And given the work ethics of the Polish in this country, then I see it as a compliment !

Great choice of car for the expanding family - can't wait to get our mitts on ours !

We were umming over the whole DVD option but maybe when we exchange in a few years ...

Re: ipod issue. I would think it would be pretty standard across the board as long as the connector is the same. I have a second gen one so will try mine out when we get the car. The hubski has an iphone 4 and 3rd gen ipod so will see how they all sync in.

Post #7688241st Mar 2011 2:25 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

xetas wrote:
I've been giving alot of thought to the "family" options such as the cooler box and rear heated seats/dvd entertainment package.

Hi Xetas,

I don't know how much LR charge for the RSE option. They wanted just short of € 2,000 for a retrofit here.
You might consider using screens you can take out and use stand-alone too. There's dvd players with 2 screens attached which strap around the headrest for under € 200. The difference buys you 2 iPads your kids can use when they are old enough, you get to use it until then.

Good luck speccing! And welcome to this forum and LR ownership. Be sure to tell us what you buy!

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #7690931st Mar 2011 9:27 pm
xetas

United States 

wvlenthe,

For some reason that slipped my mind until I read your sentence, we already own an iPad and could pick up another one for 10% of the cost of the RSE package and have them for other things. I guess sometimes it takes an outside view to make you look at things realistically. Thanks for smacking some sense into me!(I usually expect my wife to do that) Laughing

Post #7691191st Mar 2011 10:02 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

the surround cameras for tow assist are a good option. the cameras themselves are a bit of a gimmick but you need them for towassist.

re other extras, save the money and use it for a winch and RAI Thumbs Up

My ipod and iphone 3GS works well. there are 3 TSBs to upgrade the infotainmant system and bluetooth but i am assuming that you have the latest s/w installed anyway
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #7691271st Mar 2011 10:07 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

xetas wrote:
Thanks for smacking some sense into me!(I usually expect my wife to do that) Laughing

Thumbs Up
You could ask forum member Discotres about this setup, he is using iPads for RSE. At least he says he does Laughing

And btw, talking of winters, I find heated seats a must, especially with leather seats.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #7692302nd Mar 2011 6:56 am
xetas

United States 

I'm a pretty big tinkerer/modder so, it will be interesting what can be accomplished with the Lr4's electronics system.

I've been cruising through the Android app and am loving all of the information, if you haven't checked it out its really worth the DL.

Post #7696102nd Mar 2011 10:12 pm
RichardB

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

On iPads I saw some Brodit mounts for these on a web site the other day. Attach to the headrest rods and then just clip in. Looked neat and much cheaper than RSE overall. Plus the iPad screen is bigger than those in RSE package. Also saw a digital tv receiver for iPad (TIZI) but not sure if those work in US.

As for LR options. If your model does not include I'd recommend:
- rear camera
- full size spare
- xenon headlamps. Ideally adaptive
And a tow bar if you think you might ever need to or even mount a rack (skis, bike) on the ball.

Post #7696222nd Mar 2011 10:33 pm
xetas

United States 

Thanks for the tip on Brodit. I checked out their site and it looks like the "810520 Headrest mount" fits the LR4 and D4.

Installation looks easy: http://www.brodit.com/montering.jsp?anr=810520

Post #7698103rd Mar 2011 2:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >