Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

LRE -and skiing- in Finland
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
LRE -and skiing- in Finland

I have booked a couple of LRE days at Hämeenlinna in Finland in February - Snow & Ice Driving and Winter Level 1 Courses (that I skidded off the road before Christmas is purely coincidental!). I'll report later what it was like.

Since I've never been to Finland before, it seemed a bit of a waste just to go for the courses, so I plan to stay a few more days to try some skiing (probably mostly alpine) and to look round Helsinki. I wondered whether any of our Finnish members could recommend a good base for skiing in the Levi or Ylläs areas and whether it is best to fly up there from Helsinki or hire a car? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Eric

Post #3689010th Jan 2006 10:22 pm
irf

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I skiied at Levi with the family last year.

Fairly unchallenging skiing but ideal for family and competent but unfit (like me), although the snowboard areas make for interestting skiing !

Levi is a pretty much one hill with a runs on every face and access from all four sides.

There is a good bus service that runs around all the access points and also around the village.

You can ski on just one face or do a circular trip covering all the runs, getting the bus back if you dont get all around.

Accomodation is a mix of hotels and chalets

Airport is 15 minutes away, plenty of taxis everywhere.

Have a look at www.levi.fi |Website is very good and covers everything you might want to know, but feel free to ask me more questions

Post #3694811th Jan 2006 10:29 am
ArcFro

Finland 

Welcome to Finland!

Hopefully weather will be better then than right now (+4) Sad

I will have my D3 on week 4. Unfortunatelly I'm not able to give you my personal impression of Finnish LRE center. I'm Looking forward yours.

I personally would not drive from Helsinki to Lappland, unless you are behind D3:s wheel Wink It is veeeery long hours of driving due to winter speed limits.

If you want to drive to skiing center I'd suggest to see:
http://www.himos.fi/english/index.php
It's some 3 hours of driving from Helsinki. Slopes are OK apart being short ones.

Levi is fine as Ylläs is near to Levi (http://www.yllas.fi/?deptid=8951). Some prefer Ylläs over Levi, I personally haven't visited in Ylläs.

Ruka near Kuusamo is also worth to check out. (http://www.ruka.fi/english/)

Hopefully this helps you little further your planning. Hopefully you will have a nice stay here in Finland!

Post #3707111th Jan 2006 8:20 pm
Yello

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

A warm welcome from me too Smile

I'll second the comments from ArcFro concerning weather Sad

I really can't say much about the skiing facilities since I haven't visited a slope in a decade. But I've had my complimentary 1/2 day LRE course couple of months ago. The staff is nice and professional. And, surprise surprise, know what thay are talking about when it comes to driving in snowy conditions Smile

You might already know that LRE courses are held at the Katinen manor. Here's a link to their site http://www.katistenkartano.com/english/. There's something about LRE under "Leisure Activities".
 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Auto
Oh, and the other 4WD: FourX with a Recaro seat Smile 

Post #3708211th Jan 2006 9:07 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Many thanks for all the advice, although I hadn't expected skiing tips from Herts! Maybe that fits in with the fact, though, that the most Finns I have ever seen on the ski slopes was when I had a holiday in Sölden Very Happy

I will fly up to the ski areas, which is what Seppo Spens from LRE had recommended anyway.

I trust the weather will improve by February. Skiing conditions are pretty perfect around here just now, blue skies and sun - pity I'm in the office every day. But I had a very enjoyable day last Sunday in the Hohe Salve area (Söll, Scheffau, etc,). Temperature here this morning was -12°C as I drove to work.

Short ski runs won't bother me. Though I'm spoiled now by the slopes nearby, I did learn my skiing in Scotland, where on weekends the lift queue often felt as though it stretched almost to the top of the piste Laughing

Thanks again for the help - I'm looking forward to the trip.

Eric

Post #3708511th Jan 2006 9:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >