Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Mains water
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

well as we are talking water systems

whats the thinking on the on board water tanks ?

i never bother to use mine but last time out thought i should give it a try.

I had though that it would provide additional capacity of use but on mine ( and Elddiss super scirocco ) you have to turn the valve manually to fill the tank then turn back once full to use the taps so thereby meaning you only have the capacity of the on board tank to use which as i have a large water hog barrel isnt that much more than if i just draw direct from the barrel so whats the point or am i missing something

I though it would draw from the barrel automatically to re top the tank as you use it thereby gaining double the capacity of water but having to swap the lever to fill this obviously isnt the case unless im doing it all wrong .

also ,whats the thinking of travelling with the tank with water in it ? obviously we are talking weight and all that but this would at least give some water when you first turn up but i personally dont fancy the idea of all that weight sloshing about so dont do it ,but would appreciate others opinions on this
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #111544411th Jun 2013 9:17 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Mainly useful if you caravan in the winter as less likely to freeze. Thumbs Up

It's also handy for long journeys too. We put water in ours before a long trip so that we can pull into laybys/services/aires etc., fill the kettle from the tap and pop it on the gas for a cuppa. Would generally leave it empty though as although ours is much smaller than yours, 20 odd litres of water weighs quite a bit and our tank is up front so adds to the nose weight. Unlike yours, it's not 'plumbed in' and has to be removed to fill up. Once the filling cap is on, it's sealed so no danger of leaks.

We used to have an Elddiss (Superstorm Crusader). Used the onboard tank occasionally but had to stop using it when it decided to leak and we couldn't find the source Big Cry
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #111545211th Jun 2013 9:33 am
Washwipe

England 

Never leave water in mine, single axle as it's right in the front corner, use it every time we go away though, just take one Aquaroll, fill the Inboard then we have enough theft in the Aquaroll to bleed the system and fill the kettle before it needs refilling. We try to work it so the Aquaroll is empty the night before leaving us with just the inboard with water in it so we can get the Aquaroll and Pipework put away if we are off early Thumbs Up

Post #111563811th Jun 2013 3:41 pm
Kingmav66

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Re: the mains water connection. We always use Aquaroll and ball valve, this way you know the pipework in your van will only be subjected to the pressure of the pump. Mains water pressures vary massively in different areas, so unless you fit a gauge, you don't know what pressure the main is at Thumbs Up

Post #111565611th Jun 2013 4:15 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Inboard tank is just a plastic ornament for us Whistle

As for the comments re mains and pressure - as I said earlier in the post, the mains connectors have a pressure reducing regulator as part of the unit so you will not be at risk of damage from higher than pump pressures on your system Rolling Eyes

Post #111565811th Jun 2013 4:18 pm
al cope

England 

Its not the pressure from a direct connection thats the issue, its if you have a water leak in the 'van, if connected directly, then water just keeps flowing, so one very wet 'van. By connecting the mains hose to the aquaroll, and turning the pump switch off when you go out (ours is right by the door, so easy enough to do), then you dont come back to a flooded 'van. I know its all a bit "what if", and possibly paranoid, but I've always thought it better to err on the side of caution with water and 'vans.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #111568711th Jun 2013 5:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Looks like we have quite a devided camp on the ball valve/straight mains debate. Think I will be going the ball valve route, just personal choice.

With regards leaving water in the on board tank I would always empty it, just don't want all that extra weight moving about and lowering the mpg.

Thanks for all the replies.

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #111568811th Jun 2013 5:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >