Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Mains water
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Mains water

When on a super pitch or one with mains water facility what do you use. Do you carry on using your aqua roll, convert your aqua roll by inserting a ball cock or bypass the aqua roll and conect directly to the mains water.

Off to Fallbarrow in a couple of weeks in The Lakes and looking at perchising one of the above.

Cheers

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #111520110th Jun 2013 7:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

When I had a van, I bought the direct connection hose and had it connected to the van all the time.

Post #111520310th Jun 2013 7:16 pm
Madrunner

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

One bit of advice - if you connect directly to the mains and a joint or leak appears in the van whilst you are out or asleep - you've got a serious problem.

Via a ball valve aqua roll kit - that's the way.
 2013 Evoque  
Post #111521110th Jun 2013 7:30 pm
Washwipe

England 

As a above, Ball Valve in the Aquaroll.

Post #111521410th Jun 2013 7:34 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for the advice. Was swaying towards the ball valve but think that has just tipped me over the edge.

Cheers

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #111522710th Jun 2013 8:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Valve in the aqua roll, and I turn the tap off at night and when out for the day as the site taps always leak, and I don't like to think that water's being wasted for no reason.

Post #111523910th Jun 2013 8:37 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

If you think about it, a Aqua Roll won't really help protect against a leak. Most vans have a pressure sensor which activates the water pump, so even with a Aqua Roll the electric pump will carry on pumping if there is a leak and the aqua roll will be refilled via the ball valve in a continuous cycle.

The super pitch hoses have a pressure reduction valve so it won't put any greater pressure on the system than the normal pump.

I always used to turn the tap off when we went out to be on the safe side.

Post #111524010th Jun 2013 8:39 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

With a super pitch you may be able to drain water direct to drain, but you need long crinkly pipe - more stuff to carry Sad
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #111526910th Jun 2013 9:29 pm
Madrunner

The point is that should a leak occurr you'll hear the pump - unlike a direct mains connection.

No way would I ever recommend connecting directly.
 2013 Evoque  
Post #111527110th Jun 2013 9:31 pm
countrywide

I don't see it as a huge risk, once it is connected and you know everything is OK there is virtually no additional risk compared to the water leaking at home. Most of the fitting in the van as similar to home push fit connections. The super pitch connection is also pressure limited so it won't suddenly introduce a massive pressure.

If your not there when it leaks, you won't hear the pump either.

Post #111529510th Jun 2013 10:06 pm
Washwipe

England 

Just be careful if you connect direct to the van, the mains pressure could be more that your van can cope with over a period of time, if a leak occurs it will just keep pushing water into the van. If you go via the Aquaroll route you still use the pump in your van, at a pressure your van can cope with, if a leak occurs due to mains pressure the leak is outside the van, a little spilt water goes a long way Thumbs Up

Post #111532210th Jun 2013 10:32 pm
Madrunner

As above.

Plus I never leave the pump on when away from the van. Wouldn't trust a UK van and its fittings the way they are thrown together. Shocked
 2013 Evoque  
Post #111540811th Jun 2013 7:45 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

I'm with countrywide on this one. Mains connection for me. Been doing this for years (whenever we can get a 'superpitch' that is!) and never had a problem with leaks in the van. Always take brass tap fittings with us for 2 reasons... a) pound to a pinch of Censored the last occupant of the pitch has nicked the site's fitting or b) the tap will have a useless plastic one on and it's cracked/put on cross threaded/seals have perished - whatever it will probably leak Laughing

If we know we're on a superpitch, we can then leave our 2 water barrels and waste container at home - a bit of extra 'crinkly pipe' takes up far less space than they do Laughing

Always turn the tap off when out though as they invariably leak a bit and I don't like to see water wasted.
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #111541411th Jun 2013 8:03 am
rockcrawler

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I agree with Madrunner, I use an Aquaroll with a ball cock ( fit and forget ) Very Happy
 D3 Metropolis Bonatti Grey-Alpaca Leather-adaptive headlights-fridge-EGR blanking kit-Harmen Karden-Cruise-4x4 info enabled-Tinted Windows-Heated F&R Seats-Rosen rear Entertainment-LED'S everywhere -Smoked Side Repeaters-Rear Aircon-Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme-Puddle and Footwell Lamps-Stainless Steel Side Protection Tubes- NEW ASHTRAY ( thanks to dsd1036 )
Club BAS Remote FBH
Club MXS10 Ctek
Club Beanie Grill
Rear D4 Lamps
Geoff Gearbox Flush
BAS Remap 

Post #111542011th Jun 2013 8:08 am
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mains connection for me - the units have a pressure reduction system anyway and I have generally found this to be lower than the pumped pressure when using the aquaroll Whistle

Steve

Post #111542211th Jun 2013 8:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >