DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Making the switch - D2 to D3...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Making the switch - D2 to D3...

Hi all,
I've been lurking here for a bit... and finally and am about to make the plunge - sell the D2 (for whatever I can get for it, with or without all the accessories it's accumulated over the past 6 years), and setp into a demo D3 SE, Buckingham Blue, rear air - all the standards plus roof rails/bars, tow pack etc.

It doesn't have the rear diff lock, which I would have loved to have got - but the price is right, and I can't wait for a new batch to come in...

What am I getting myself into? It's got 6k or so on the clock, othyer wise I think it's the 06 update model. Questions/answers? I will be off-roading it, though probably not quite like I did with the D2.

cheers,

Simon
(D2, soon to be D3 owner - Melbourne, Australia)
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #8761523rd Sep 2006 9:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If it is build 2 it will have leather as standard.
you are getting yorself into a great vehicle. I have the locking diff and it works really well. Others have commented that it is fine without.
I had a D2, and fine vehicle it was and the D3 is a great step up from a D2.
enjoy the permagrin Mr. Green
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8775323rd Sep 2006 11:13 pm
d3syd

Hi Simon,

Nice to see you are making the move up from D2 to D3. Like you I have been a long time member of the d2au group as well.

I have a MY06 TDV6 SE in Buckingham Blue as well. First impressions going from a Td5 to the TDV6? Power, refinement, great ride, much sharper steering, improved handling, feels a lot bigger initially but will quickly shrink around you when you discover its superior dynamics. I find the six speed auto simply brilliant, so smooth and smart as well.

As for off-road ability, I can't comment as I haven't had a chance to test it yet (except for a brief bogging on a local beach - forgot to turn off the DSC and didn't think it necessary to deflate the tyres as I didn't need to on my D2 on the same beach). I am sure though that in stock standard form, it should be able to out perform my old D2 off road.

Concerns? I guess my greatest worry is the complexity of the beast. I definitely won't be as comfortable doing a solo trip to some remote destination as I was in my D2 (not that the D2 was a model of unfailing reliability).

Anyway I have no regrets making the move whatsoever. I love my car and take every opportunity I can to drive it. FYI, I got $25,000 trade-in for my 2000 Td5 manual with 125,000km on the clock. This was a price that was inflated by the dealer with the profit margin from the new car. The true value was around $18k, so a $7k discount on the D3 was not a bad deal I thought.

Enjoy the D3 Permagrin!

Cheers,
Yen
 '06 TDV6 SE AUTO BUCKINGHAM BLUE
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL
'08 BMW 135i Coupe Twin Turbo 

Post #8779524th Sep 2006 3:07 am
simon_arch1

Yen - great to hear from you. All sounds like it will be up to my expectations! Have you mdfified anything yet?

They always say you shouldn't venture far from home alone anyway - but yes, the complexity of electronics etc are a small worry. I AM looking forward to it though!

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #8780524th Sep 2006 6:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d3syd

Simon,

Haven't modified anything yet. Like my Td5, I think I'll leave it bog standard as it has sufficient capability for the 4wding I do.

I wanted a rear diff lock as well but didn't want to wait ages for my car.

Cheers,
Yen
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL

Post #8782124th Sep 2006 9:06 am
Jamo

Australia 

Don't worry too much about the electronics, Simon.

They're 'smart' and can protect themselves. A bit like 'Hal' from 2001.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #8782524th Sep 2006 9:44 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Simon,

I thought you know the guys down at MLR or maybe I've got you confused with someone else.

Anyway, I am an advocate for the new D3 however I never had a Land Rover product before and I somethimes wonder about Dealership support in Oz. You cannot find many LR dealers outside main metro areas. This is a concern with such a high tech vehicle. I've never had a breakdown yet but I've had a number of electronic issues and it does leave me wondering about finding someone who can attend to a broken D3 if you are a long way from a metro dealer who has the equipment to diagnose the problem.

The D3 is a very capable off-roader in standard form and I'm sure you will find it way ahead of your D2.

Make the decision and go a D3 as long as you think that Dealer support is not a big issue for you.

Chris.
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #8810625th Sep 2006 9:29 am
simon_arch1

Chris - you're right - I know MLR very well - so local support will certainly not be an issue - whenI'm halfway across the Simpson might be a different issue....

Thanks for your vote of confidence!

cheers,

Skimon
Post #8811725th Sep 2006 9:52 am
d3syd

When are you picking up the new car Simon? Like to hear your first impression comments. Smile Yen
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL

Post #8823625th Sep 2006 3:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >