Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Manual Gearbox XYZ Sensor Failures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
groundhog

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Marmaris TealDiscovery 3
XY Fault

I've been reading all these feeds re: Xy switch because mine too is faulty. The difference is that I get the message "all special progromes turned off" a couple of bongs for good measure then my suspension drops to lower setting. This is very disconcerting when towing at 60mph. I've had the car in to my local LR dealer who told me that the clutch was "probably" slipping as this was the usual cause for the fault that had shown up. Having contacted LR direct the car was re booked in for further inveatigation and when I collected it I was told that they had tried without any success to get the clutch to slip! Now I'm being told that it is "probably" the XY switch that needs replacing. Is anyone aware there has been a bulletin from LR highlighting this fault? Either way there is a definate design fault in the system and we as owners have to keep LR service agenets rich by having to have these jobs done. There we go that feels better (for now anyway) untill I get the word as to how much this job will cost me. Evil or Very Mad

Post #113165015th Jul 2013 1:43 pm
santiD3

Spain 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi groundhog,

When I had this problem, I noted that a little slipping on my clutch when I was between 50 and 60 mph. It is one of the consequences when the sensor is malfunctioning
Bad It is very extrange You have also the message and your suspension dropped.

Do you have any other messages like problem with your park brake???

Last edited by santiD3 on 17th Jul 2013 8:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #113168215th Jul 2013 2:40 pm
groundhog

santiD3 wrote:
Hi groundhog,

When I had this problem, I noted that a little slipping on my clutch when I was between 50 and 60 mph. It is one of the consequences when the sensor is malfunctioning
Bad It is very extrange You have also the message and your suspension dropped.

Doy you have any other messages like proble with your park brake???

Hi SantiD3.

The message does say park brake fault as well. I have had a new ecu fitted at a cost of £900 as the dealer said it had completely failed. All the same messages were displaying then too.

Post #113170915th Jul 2013 3:44 pm
santiD3

Hi groundhog,

Do you have the other faults You can see in the firts post?

Post #113299617th Jul 2013 10:29 pm
stenh02

Scotland 
Hijack!

Have had the 'Park Brake Fault' twice in 17 days of owning the car.

Dealer is thinking either transfer box or clutch.

What is the betting it's the clutch..........?

The fault appears under hard acceleration up hill in 4th gear. So not at gear change time.

G

Post #113313218th Jul 2013 9:17 am
groundhog

santiD3 wrote:
Hi groundhog,

Yes all of the faults mentioned before have shown up. It was two years since the ecu was replaced because of these faults. I now believe it is the problems that are showing now that was the problem then too. I have spoken to LR direct and they have washed their hands of the problems "due to the age of the vehicle" but the problems have been there for some time and by reading these feeds It would seem I am definatley not alone.

Post #113315818th Jul 2013 10:23 am
Forestnewforest

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Xy sensor reset

Big thanks to forum members. I had parking brake fault light, no reversing lights, no park sensors, slow responding gear selected display and cruise control being iffy.... Almost out of love with the motor until I followed Stevie B's advice and miraculously all is well.
I loaned the Disco3 to a mate for a month and am hoping his big plates of meat were riding the clutch and that I don't need a new one... Time will tell, but for now I'm back in love with her and grateful to the forum...
Very Happy

Post #114804025th Aug 2013 5:04 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Forestnewforest

Welcome.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #114806225th Aug 2013 5:52 pm
groundhog

groundhog wrote:
santiD3 wrote:
Hi groundhog,

Yes all of the faults mentioned before have shown up. It was two years since the ecu was replaced because of these faults. I now believe it is the problems that are showing now that was the problem then too. I have spoken to LR direct and they have washed their hands of the problems "due to the age of the vehicle" but the problems have been there for some time and by reading these feeds It would seem I am definatley not alone.

Just thought I'd share this with you all. Re xy faults I have just had two trips away with my caravan and during the whole time whilst towing none of the faults showed up. However the day after I arrived at my destination all the faults appeared as soon as started driving solo? Again on the way back home NOTHING! as soon as I uncoupled and drove off bong the lights came on again and the faults re appeared. You would have thought that if there is a clutch slip problem it would definitely occur with a two ton caravan on tow. So this got me thinking and I have driven about 200 miles whilst towing a little trailer I have, again whilst coupled up no faults appeared but when I uncoupled within 20 miles all the faults showed up again. What the hell is going on?
I'm back in to my local dealer tomorrow for yet another diagnostic so lets see what they can find this time. Regards all JIM

Post #114838926th Aug 2013 8:08 pm
santiD3

Re: Hijack!

stenh02 wrote:
Have had the 'Park Brake Fault' twice in 17 days of owning the car.

Dealer is thinking either transfer box or clutch.

What is the betting it's the clutch..........?

The fault appears under hard acceleration up hill in 4th gear. So not at gear change time.

G

Hi stenh

When I had this problem, one of the problems was a slight slip of the clutch under hard acceleration. When You have "park brake fault" do you have the others faults???

Post #11654321st Oct 2013 10:12 am
ellophoto

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Big thanks to everyone for help (and very clear instructions) on this.

Just been reversing up and down my road... neighbours probably think I'm even more of a fool than before... but it worked and I now have gear selector, reversing lights and no amber warning light!

I appreciate your help. Smile

Post #118931018th Nov 2013 10:32 am
Jakeboy

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Once again, much praise for this forum regarding my own X-Y sensor that went out of calibration two days ago. (56 plate SE Manual)

As with others who have experienced this, faults as follows;

1. "Park Brake Fault" message with permanent yellow warning light on dash which clears with
ignition cycle but returns as soon as the car is driven. Park brake still works as normal.
2. Gear selection indicator is very slow to respond.
3. No reverse lights
4. No parking sensors
5. Revs drop off upon coming to a standstill with foot in clutch, as if it is about to stall and battery
light flickers also as if about to stall, then revs pick up and fluctuate between 500 RPM and
1500 RPM.
6. Horrible sinking feeling that once again the stealers will likely want to repace expensive parts
rather than correctly diagnose / fix something.

20 mins search and read up about the re-calibration procedure on this excellent forum and I'm out reversing and driving along my street, much to the bemusement of the neighbours and postman!
Driven in R, N, 123456 gears, ignition off until car goes to sleep, restarted and bingo, sensor re-calibrated and all systems returned to normal!

Previous owner had a new gearbox, clutch and Tx box module all replaced by LR in the past. Makes me wonder what symptoms he had ??????

Anyway, great forum once again and thanks to all who have posted on this issue as it has clearly saved me an others a small fortune!

Cheers

J Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #120076911th Dec 2013 10:09 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Had this, for the first time in almost 100k miles, this morning as I was joining the M25. Big Cry

Slipped the clutch a bit, in a lazy moment, which resulted in the spurious "Park Brake Fault" message appearing on the dash accompanied by the orange EPB icon being displayed. Gear selection display on the dash was slow to appear and I also noticed reversing lights and PDC no longer worked when I parked-up. All classic symptoms of this fault.

Got to work, engaged low range, and went through the gears starting in reverse. All is good again. EPB fault gone and gear selection on the dash showing immediately now.

An amazingly simple fix for something that looks far more expensive. Bow down Bow down

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #120195913th Dec 2013 2:49 pm
Wee Gaz

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3
No low range

I have this problem just now but cant do the fix as It says no low range available think it will be going back to get sorted when I go back to work but if anyone has a idea would love to hear it thanks.

Post #121801915th Jan 2014 6:55 pm
Arley

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Had this problem twice in a month. Reset both times but clutch suddenly started slipping last week.
Result new clutch and flywheel and £970 later its fixed. Then to cap it all got a puncture day after getting the car back, replaced the wheel but didn't know about the knack of using the tyre winch? Need a new winch. What a week haven't spent a penny on the car in the first 7 months off ownership then £1200 in two days Crying or Very sad

Post #122043519th Jan 2014 9:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >