DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Manual Gearbox XYZ Sensor Failures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: No low range

Wee Gaz wrote:
I have this problem just now but cant do the fix as It says no low range available think it will be going back to get sorted when I go back to work but if anyone has a idea would love to hear it thanks.

You can do it in high range too as the point is to go through all the gears - you just need less road if you do it in low range.

Doesn't help your low range problem though Sad
 Andrew  
Post #122063420th Jan 2014 1:52 am
Wee Gaz

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Cheers Andrew will give it a try thanks. 8)

Post #122071020th Jan 2014 10:18 am
johnyonion

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Hi thanks for this advice Stevie B, just bought a 07 discovery 3 and this fault came up on dash, was dreading taking to LR garage as they seem to only quote telephone numbers to get any work done, tried this fix and hey presto fault gone, thanks so much for giving out these really good instructions on page 1 of this thread made me and more importantly the missus very happy !!! Very Happy

Post #124189323rd Feb 2014 9:13 pm
mogray

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3
Parking Brake Warning Light

I've an 05 D3 and this warning came up on the dashboard along with gear selection not working on the dashboard.

After reading through the forum I discovered Stevie B's post - many many thanks for this, it appears to have solved the problem Wink

For any others who can't find this fix, try as follows:

1. Select Low Ratio and reverse until PDC beeps and "R" shows on dashboard - approx 200yds
2. Select 1st, go forward through all gears upto 6th, making sure the gear number has come up on the dashboard.
3. Select Neutral and turn engine off - I left mine for 5 mins.
4. Re start, select High ratio - hopefully problem solved! Laughing

Post #125125711th Mar 2014 2:31 pm
rb

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
park brake fault / xy sensor

hi all
I have had my Discovery 3 Pursuit manual from new in 2007.
The first problem, within months, was the park brake sticking on and then over the years, and a new clutch, there is a continuous need to recalibrate the gearbox as described elsewhere on the site. It has become a bit of a monthly ritual - my kids time the pause phase at the end for me..... I love this Disco but how many more faults can I afford/endure?
I have recently had the cam belt done and both wheel bearings replaced..... but now the garage say its the front diff on its way out..... quoting me £2k to fix. I've done 86k miles.....
My partner says it will have to go.... Big Cry
And before you all wade in with your sexist remarks - I read this site regularly - I am female !

Post #12928443rd Jun 2014 3:59 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Mines needing regular recalibration ! Mine never does the beep and it doesent show the R either ?
But it still works, the juddering on take off is really annoying and feels fragile !

I'm the same as you, just had cam belt done, all front suspension re built, rears imminent !
New tyres required ! Which I've bought but not yet fitted they are on D4 alloys but I'm thinking its turning into a black hole Big Cry

Wheels bearings whining, front diff becoming noisy !

Its a pain in the Arras !

For me if I get rid I'll get another ! A D4
I like the safety, size, presence of the Disco but it's becoming expensive !

If I have to spend £5K plus in the next 12 Months I'd be better off part funding an exchange
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #12928523rd Jun 2014 4:18 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Welcome!

I've also owned mine from new since March 2007. I can relate to many of the jobs you've had done on the car.

Mine also had front wheel bearings (at 72495 miles). This is fairly common problem with most D3s and I would expect most have had new front wheel bearings at some point in their lives so far.

I had one incident within warranty with the EPB when I called LRA out to me and I have had to recalibrate the XY sensor a couple of times, but is definitely not a monthly ritual.

Most clutch problems are driving style related, in my opinion. I don't necessarily mean it is down to you - the driver - but a combination of factors such as the types of journeys you do and the way you treat the clutch. My D3 spends most of its life ploughing up and down the M3 at 70mph and the clutch still feels fine. A D3 that is used regularly for towing and climbing up steep hills (not an issue in Norfolk, I presume) will almost certainly have more problems. Look on the bright side, at least you haven't had to fit a new auto box to it. Whistle

The front diff may be on its way out because the modified breather cap was not fitted. £2k is far too much for a front diff and I would suggest you find a different garage, or see if any of the site sponsors on here will do the work for you.

Every time more expenditure is needed I, too, consider chopping it in for something more economical and cheaper to maintain. Unfortunately, nothing else comes close to the practicality, safety, and comfort that a D3 affords to a young family.

That, is why we drive these cars. Very Happy

Good luck with it. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #12928543rd Jun 2014 4:20 pm
barti

Poland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Belize GreenDiscovery 3

Hi, I got this fault again some time ago.
However I ignored that for 1 week, and today the gear indication does not show up at all and I can't calibrate it with the known procedure.

Do you have any suggestions ?
Is the XYZ switch to be replaced from the inside of the car(under the gear lever) or outside at the gearbox ?

Cheers
Bart

Post #13089919th Jul 2014 1:30 pm
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mine refused to reset using the R123456 procedure on one occasion. I had to clear the fault code, then it was fine.
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #13090239th Jul 2014 2:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
barti

Poland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Belize GreenDiscovery 3

OK, thanks for the tip. I will have the chance to clear the faults tomorrow and check if that helps.

Thanks
Barti

Post #13090389th Jul 2014 3:36 pm
UpCreakNoPaddle

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Xy calibration partial success

Hi! First post and new to forum. Had the park brake amber light, no PDC and no reverse lights combined with no gear selection. Just came back from doing the R-123456 thing and was amazed at the effect. When I got home and reversed into my bay, the parking sensors still don't work although the other faults are now clear. Has anyone had this? Could there be a separate issue? Fuses have been checked.
Thanks for the top tips so far. Donation definitely on its way. Bow down

Post #133099228th Aug 2014 7:16 pm
Sam.T

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I would greatly appreciate your knowledge! My D3 when 6th is selected brings up a transmission fault which then brings up an error symbol where the gear indicator normally shows and after a while the amber handbrake warning light, it also seams to cause the parking sensors to intermittently work. I have tried the R-123456 which dose not seam to work.The gearbox had a repair to the third gear syncro just before I bought it but worked OK for a couple of months before the fault happened. Has anyone got any ideas or solutions? Thanks in advance!!

Post #150164114th Jul 2015 3:33 pm
berty83

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

This happened to me when i accidently went for 3rd gear and selected 5th, i was confronted with the park break fault and sense of terror.

Thanks for this thread guys, saved me about a million pound by not taking the car to the local LR garage.

Post #150431420th Jul 2015 4:41 pm
Discologist

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

When my other half arrived home and told me that 'another fault' had appeared, my heart sank. However, I recovered once she described the symptoms.

A quick trip to the park for some quiet, straight and level road, and all was back to normal.

Post #150893429th Jul 2015 11:06 pm
Sublimemanx

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Indus SilverDiscovery 3
XY Sensor Calibration - Advice followed

Stevie B that advice was spot on!!!! Car fixed in less than 10-15 mins. Saved me a trip to the garage

Post #15716393rd Dec 2015 6:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >