Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Manual Gearbox XYZ Sensor Failures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
p321c654

Manual Gearbox XYZ Sensor Failures

I have a Disco 3 manual. One morning I noticed a Park Brake failure warning on the dash fault screen, plus a yellow warning light. The following other faults also appeared at the same time :
1. Rear parking sensors failed
2. Reverse lights failed
3. Gear selector screen on dash is blank at low speeds, and takes a few seconds to show gears on the move

My local dealers fixed it for me by re-calibrating the sensor. They tell me that any small clutch slip will cumulatively knock the sensor out of calibration. Apparently before they realised the issue, they replaced 2 clutches under warranty, which did not fix the issue, and they were no reimbirsed by LR, in fact it appears LR call this regular wear and tear.

The clutch slip could be anything minor like a pull away from the lights in 1st and you momentarily let the clutch come up too slowly, which how ever careful you are could happen may be once a year on any car doing 12k a year. On that basis any owner is going to see a bill for at least 1 fix a year at around £70 plus a year.....

Is this normal wear and tear ? I think not, it is a fault with the calibration of a sensor, and a design fault from LR, which they have not admitted to. Either they should be fixing it for free, or putting out a recall fix to cure it permanently

Occurence ? The local dealer tells me they have had cars with as low as 15k with the fault. My fault occurred at 28k, now again at 35k.

Does any know if the Freelander 2 has the same issue ? I guess it could do, as it has similar technology.

Has anyone else been victim to this issue - would be good to see how often it is arising ?

Post #5972865th Feb 2010 7:30 am
p321c654

XYZ sensor failure Fixed for now......

Thanks to a lead I saw elsewhere on this site, this is now fixed for the moment. Thanks to the following procedure quoted by DiscoStu : http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic26864.h...nsfer+case

One issue remains.....when will it happen again. I have a suspicion that the flywheel is the cause. I get a low drumming above about 50 mph, which then drops off when I come off the throttle. Has anyone else had such an issue ? ie, they see clutch slip, causing the reverse lights, gear dash indicator delaying, roughness at idle, rear parking sensors failing

Post #60317914th Feb 2010 10:23 am
Jane Jordan

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Manual Gearbox XYZ Sensor Failures

Unnecessary quote removed

Hi , Yes in fact I could have written your post, my discovery has been in 3 times for this same fault. Thats 3 times in 1 year. it is still under warranty but LR are now saying they will not cover this under the warranty again. I have customer services onto this at the moment. It has had the clutch changed, some cabling to do with the brakes. A car is to be driven & it is simply not up to it.!

Post #60349614th Feb 2010 9:40 pm
Rabbit Leader

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Possible help for XYZ switch problem ...

Hi all,

I too am suffering from XYZ switch blues ...

In a nut shell ... Reset last July ... Replaced (switch) December last ... Replaced again yesterday, and re set.

It is the re set that I want to share with you ... my dealer tells me that there is now a 'new' re set for this problem, something to do with the sensitivity of the switch (?)

Anyway, my paperwork tells me that this 'Service Action' is called Q079.

I don't know if this is just LR Droitwich's code, or a national one, but it may help ...
 Paramedic, Father, Dog lover and Husband ... in no particular order!  
Post #60601818th Feb 2010 9:28 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I had similar issues a couple of years back on mine, apparently there is an ecu attached to the xyz switch, just re-calibrating mine would only last a couple of weeks so the firmware image was reflashed to the ecu which fixed it properly Thumbs Up

and then a few months later the clutch packed in Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #60603218th Feb 2010 9:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Q86ARR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 4

LR are now saying that drivers resting their foot on the clutch pedal causes clutch slip which leads to flywheel movement!

Post #60899023rd Feb 2010 8:54 pm
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

I had the same issue last year in the end, in order they replace XYZ switch, clutch, flywheel and then gearbox!

Cured the fault but then they did replace everything. All apart from Clutch covered by the LR Select Warranty as D3 had done 90k+ miles

Post #60899523rd Feb 2010 8:59 pm
famillar

I have had similar problems and now on clutch no. 3 they replaced dual mast fly wheel as wel. Done under warranty but not after a fight and only as good will gesture. They blame riding the clutch but the garage let it slip that the clutch plates were not too worn. 1st clutch lasted about 23k, 2nd only about 9k. Now back in garage with electronic hand brake failure. It tried to come on whilst still moving! Preceded by dreadful sound from back and followed by failure. Thankfully not driving too fast. Could the EPB failure and clutch problems be related or am I unlucky?

Post #61087826th Feb 2010 5:06 pm
Gavster

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I have got the same problem, brought Discovery XS manual from Colliers Erdington in Nov 2007 with 3,600 miles on the clock, 17th March 2008 the fog light fuse kept blowing went to Stratstone Solihull repaired fog light wiring , 9th May 2008 park brake fault on dash landrover direct came out and recalibrated xy sensor, 15th July 2008 handbrake stuck on landrover direct picked car up on low loader sent it to Stratstone Solihull had brake shoes cleaned and hand re-adjusted and calibrated. 17th Sept 2008 park brake fault again back to Strastone Solihull new gear position switch fitted, 25th Sept 2008 park brake fault again this time went to Colliers Erdington carried out T4 diagnostic, check ecu software carried out gear posistion procedure, carried out drive cycle, 6th Oct 2008 back to Colliers for near side door latch, 13th Oct 2008 went to Colliers replaced cruise control, 13th Nov 2008 Guy Salmon Coventry replaced offside rear seatbelt then also park brake fault new transfer box sensor fitted, 15th Dec 2008 again park brake fault went to Colliers replaced clutch and fly wheel, slave cylinder still no good replaced clutch and flywheel for the second time still no good replaced clutch and flywheel for the third time still no good then replace gearbox at this stage the car had only covered 13,377 miles. 6th May 2009 off side front seat frame replaced due to dropping down. 29th Jan 2010 went to Stratstone for a brake vacuum assistance system recall. In between this we have also had a couple of limp home modes landrover direct came out and could not find anything wrong with the car (I think they thought we were imagining it) 12th April 2010 yet again park brake fault phoned Landrover Head Office to see if they would put it right due to warranty having just run out and basically NO was the answer. They feel we have had more than enough assistance (Goodwill) with this problem. Phoned Colliers only to be told that it would cost us £111.00 plus VAT just to diagnose the problem then we would be charged for any work that needed to be carried out even if it was a software download. The car has only covered at this stage 29,000 miles. Always received very poor and unprofessional servcie from Colliers there Service administration staff are very rude and cocky will NEVER use them again. Same old story they bend over backwards to get you to buy the car then dont want to know when there is a fault with it. We were going to trade in for a Discovery 4 but not a chance now!!!! We are thinking of taking legal action, would be interested if anyone else feels this way?

Post #63764418th Apr 2010 1:03 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

XY sensor loss of calibration (not XYZ as that would indicate positional data from 3 axes not two... Wink ) can be caused by clutch pedal depression, clutch pedal position sensor failure, gearbox layshaft floatation and clutch hydraulics issues, failure of the DM flywheel will not cause loss of sensor calibration
DTC P0820 will be flagged in most cases but does not always indicate failure of the XY sensor
Q079 is erroneous, this refers to corrosion of ride hight sensors and updates to the RLM

Post #63766118th Apr 2010 2:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I had xy calibrated by heroes from Park Royal, never been told what they done on it but since than cars feels different and drives weird like it was held back every gear change, getting it checked
do you all think it is the indication of major issues in near future?

Post #63767918th Apr 2010 3:38 pm
pjv

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

drove to LRE experience at Peckforton (cheshire) and the girl (58 GS) obviously felt threatened by new toys and threw up a 'yellow drive off handbrake failure' warning. This is second time - first time it reset itself after a week leaving nothing in the diagnostics. This time I searched and found the link to reset/recalibrate xy sensor (posted by TFC I think Bow down ). We're all fixed now and hpoing it's not a sign of more expensive problem.

Thanks to all who've contributed and small donation on it's way to Martin

pjv

Post #64130626th Apr 2010 5:02 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

10forcash wrote:
XY sensor loss of calibrationcan be caused by clutch pedal depression, clutch pedal position sensor failure, gearbox layshaft floatation and clutch hydraulics issues

Hey TFC. Anyway to identify which of the above is the cause?

Had it a few times now, recalibrates ok, but something must be wrong to keep causing it, and no the wife is not riding the clutch! Will check fluid in clutch reservoir, where is the clutch sensor on the pedal itself? Might be cheapest thing to replace first me thinks...

Post #7140219th Nov 2010 11:00 am
Stevie B

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Had this problem myself. Park Brake fault light! Loss of gear Indication Number on Dash. Loss of Reversing lights when in Reverse and no Reversing sensor. Otherwise car drove well Question

Went to an unnamed LR Dealer in Saltash, Cornwall. They quoted me almost a grand for a new clutch plus more if I had to replace the flywheel Exclamation Exclamation

I was a little strapped for cash and started asking round non LR dealers and one of them being a former LR Dealer mechanic told me it was the sensor (XY) that tells the Car what gear it is in and it needed resetting. Then he said it can easily be sorted and to do this before doing anything else...Idea

1) Find a long straight and quiet section of road.Neutral
2) Select LOW Ratio.Shocked
3) Reverse for about 200 yards or until you get the beep and the R on the dash gear number indicator. And then a tiny bit more for good luck. Stop, then...Neutral
4) Go forwards in 1st until number appears. Clutch pedal must be fully raised each time.Exclamation
5) Then up through the Gears waiting for each of the numbers to appear. Do not skip any gears!Mad
6) Stop at 6th, back into neutral, switch off engine.Confused
7) After a brief rest, I took a couple of minutes just to make sure all the bad ju ju was gone and to have a quick wee as it was just all too exciting.Whistle
8) Restart and select High Ratio and you're on your way..Laughing

I did this and problem fixed. This (wee optional) resets the XY sensor...Wink

However; if the light keeps coming back on check your revs when putting your foot down. If they slip up and slow down while the speed catches up then your clutch plates are on the way out. This eventually happened to me 40k miles after my first problem. As long as the clutch isn't juddering violently each gear change, then it should be a case of just new plates without a flywheel replacement...Confused

NB: In the case of having new plates the fault light will be lit upon receipt of your motor. Give it a few miles for the new plates to bed in then reset the XY sensor and the fault light will miraculously go out...8)

Hope this helps and saves someone forking unnecessarily when in a few minutes you can sort yourself out... Arrow

Good Luck...SB... Thumbs Up

Last edited by Stevie B on 3rd Feb 2011 3:14 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #75454631st Jan 2011 10:55 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

is this auto or manual box, I now from past 20+ years ago we used to change the cluth plate and pressure plate on manuals and depending on condition of flywheel that as well the gear box was off and all accessible Shocked
if it's an auto what about a gearbox flush; have you tried this????
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #7560233rd Feb 2011 12:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >