Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Manual locking of differential...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

OK - and hopefully there are some tech heads somewhere reading this forum especially if they have LR UK connections. I am a very very long time user of LSD's on road cars and diff locks on other vehicles and they are terrific. When I get delivery of my new TDV6 I am sure that I will play however I suspect that at least initially there will be very few situations where the large tires and 4x4 and standard programming cause the rear diff to lock up.

Two questions.

1) How do I override the programming so as to ensure that on road the rear locker diff acts as a normal LSD and continues to apply power rather than reduce power in the event of wheel slip like most ASC + T type systems (BMW for example) do ?

2) How off road can I install a switch so that I can manually over ride even a LSD type appication and make sure that it locks and stays locked or at worst continues to apply power ?

Obviously it is software controlled and is lockable so it must be possible to over ride the programming and lock it on demand. I suppose that the only issue is that doing so might send the rest of the electronics into spastic mode.

Post #3799918th Jan 2006 12:29 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

Hi all,

I'm new here, but will hopefully be a D3 owner in the next few weeks Very Happy .

With regard to Smarticus' scenario, I would have thought that if the ETC activates prior to the locker, but fails to control the difference in wheelspin between the left and right wheel, then the locker will activate. At that point there is no longer any difference in wheelspin rates, so the ETC disengages. Is that right?

And of course, if the locker activates first, the ETC would never be called, other than on the front wheels. So why the concern that something would break?

Cheers,

Gordon

Post #3813419th Jan 2006 7:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Gordon, I guess my concern is that I think of diff locks as being essentially mechanical things and ETC as essentially an electronic thing. Clearly as you say these 2 systems need to co-ordinate their actions very carefully to avoid a conflict. Both must also be dependent on sensors concerning vehicle movement and wheel rotation. We all have seen the evidence of sensors on these vehicles failing, or giving rogue messages (in most cases suspension related but in others transmission related). Just imagine if the sensors on the rear axle failed and the diff lock and ETC worked against each other - ouch. And what would the cost be ? If a headlight costs £400 to replace when it gets a small crack in it, what must a diff or half shaft cost Shocked
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #3814319th Jan 2006 9:43 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hopefully this will help...
Excerpts from Landrover documentation

"The multi-plate clutch assembly for both centre (transfer box) and electronic rear differentials act in a similar way. The aim of the multi-plate clutch assembly is to prevent excessive differential slip and therefore maximise the traction performance of the vehicle. This is fundamentally different from the 'braked' traction control, which can only counter act differential slip when it occurs.

A certain amount of differential slip is required to allow the vehicle to turn corners and to remain stable under control of the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). The transfer box control module monitors the driver's demands through primary vehicle controls and automatically sets the slip torque at the rear differential via the electronic rear differential control module. The system is completely automatic and does not require any special driver input.

The multi-plate clutch assembly actively controls the torque flow through the rear differential and optimises the torque distribution in the driveline. The clutch assembly biases the torque from the differential to the wheels with the higher grip and prevents the wheels with the lower grip from spinning

The electronic rear differential control module is connected on the CAN bus, via the transfer box control module, and controls differential operation using CAN messages from other control units on the network. Wheel speed, steering angle, automatic transmission speed, temperature information, car configuration, axle ratios and mode inputs, are some of the main signals received by the control module.

The control module also sends messages via the CAN bus to tell other control modules on the network, the status of the electronic rear differential. The clutch torque and default mode status are some of the main signals sent out by the control module.

The Terrain Responseâ„¢ system allows the driver to select a program, which will provide the optimum settings for traction and performance for the prevailing terrain conditions.

The system is controlled by a rotary control located on the centre console.

The system uses a combination of vehicle subsystems to achieve the required vehicle characteristics for the terrain selected. The following subsystems form the Terrain Responseâ„¢ system:
· Engine management system
· Automatic transmission (if fitted)
· Transfer box
· Brake system
· Air suspension.
Each subsystem control module provides a feedback for the selected program so that the Terrain Responseâ„¢ control module can check that all systems are controlling the system correctly. The exception to this is the electronic rear differential control module which does not provide feedback to the Terrain Responseâ„¢ system as it is a slave to the transfer box control module"

Post #3814419th Jan 2006 10:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Norah, I didn't follow much of that - but I think it says that my worries are groundless (sic). Interesting that the diff lock isn't actually a locker, just a limited slip diff arrangement.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #3821319th Jan 2006 11:17 pm
10forcash

it will progessively 'lock' up to 100%, but it is the last item in the chain so will only kick in at full chat once every other option has been tried. Should a sensor fail or give a improbable signal, the various systems will attempt a workaround based upon other inputs. worst case is you'll need BN's porker to pull you out Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #3822419th Jan 2006 11:48 pm
10forcash

Norah? Confused Shocked Confused

Post #3822519th Jan 2006 11:49 pm
carl

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
lock

the only concern I would have with the rear locker "waiting" to lock is that like traction control, you lose momentum "before" you get the lock. I am surprised that there is no method for creating the rear locked, which would signal less traction control braking, which would keep momentum?

All this aside, I am sure that for 99% of the use, based on tires, clearance, etc... that this is really fine. Obviously we're all obsessed with these things and have nothing else to do!

I've got 2200 miles, gas milage up, last trip to 17.5, not a single fault with vehicle. Very solid, quiet, stable.

Post #3824120th Jan 2006 1:16 am
10forcash

Carl,
depending on the program(me) selected, the diffs. will be pre-loaded in the expectance of slip, the sensor input will indicate that traction and forward motion is being lost and the various ECU's will generate the best 'firing solution' taking sensor information and terrain program(me) selected into account to help prevent loss of momentum, switching off DSC can also help in some circumstances

I agree though.... it is an obsession Wink

Post #3824520th Jan 2006 8:47 am
10forcash

Smarticus wrote:
Norah, I didn't follow much of that - but I think it says that my worries are groundless (sic). Interesting that the diff lock isn't actually a locker, just a limited slip diff arrangement.
Smarticus, it is a limited slip type, but continuously variable and is able to fully lock when needed. There's loads more info but I don't want to suffer the wrath of LR by posting complete documents Rolling Eyes  
Post #3824620th Jan 2006 8:51 am
BryanW

2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Quote:
I remember that the TD5 disco didn't even have a centre diff lock because of this. It was only replaced under presure from the US market where a diff lock is an important phallic symbol.

What kind of offroading do you do here? Cant be more than pavement climbing, the Disco2 without centre difflock was disaster in South Africa, rav4's were going where the disco could not over here. The D3, luckily has this incorporated else it might aswell be a X5.

The rear difflock works in extreme situations where you cant wait for the traction control to decide when to kick in. Provides for easier rock crawling with less spinning wheels and is far more controlled and gentle. (to avoid breaking it) I would think that it disables the TC in the rear axle and enables the rear locker, TC is then limited to the front axle. Fairly potent as you still have good steering control.

Rather sad we have all this cr@p on our vehicles these days, how about the days with manual lockers allround. Sad

Post #3870723rd Jan 2006 8:04 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Have a look in the galleries, we do plenty of decent off-roading. If its manual locking diffs you want, save a fortune and buy a second hand D1 Wink

I have driven my old S2a, and all versions of the Disco since it was originaly launched in many off-road situations, and can honestly say that the D3 is as good in most situations as any of the others. It is better at some also. The only limiting factor is the shiny paint, and risk of damage, but thats only limiting because I want it to be. There are some people on here that would not agree with that I'm sure!

The one situation where the D3 beats any other 4x4 totally comprehensively is in the snow and ice. It is awesome, especially the hill descent control.

Post #3872423rd Jan 2006 8:30 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Bryan... buy a D3 and prove yourself wrong mate.

We can take our D3's places you can only dream of... manual lockers or not.

If you drive a Porsche pig I could understand your post, but if you drive a real 4x4 then you'd know that the D3 is the business....

Post #3884024th Jan 2006 3:11 am
Penguin

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

hahaha Bryan, you need to check out some european site more often Very Happy

If you look at the galleries here or look at some pictures on my site, you'll think different Twisted Evil
 In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.

www.m-release.com 

Post #3901024th Jan 2006 5:51 pm
10forcash

simon wrote:
Bryan... buy a D3 and prove yourself wrong mate.

We can take our D3's places you can only dream of... manual lockers or not.

If you drive a Porsche pig I could understand your post, but if you drive a real 4x4 then you'd know that the D3 is the business....
Shocked Shocked Shocked Thud Thud Thud you don't like Porche Pig 's do you? Wink saw one at Northampton services on the M1 (was it Victor Meldrew 's ? we'll never know for sure Rolling Eyes ) nearly peed meself laughing when the woman driver returned to it (it had to be the driver, no-one would want to steal one) and immediately went bright red when she saw little 5 pointing at it and laughing whilst giving the thumbs-down signal Laughing Laughing Laughing  
Post #3904024th Jan 2006 7:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >