Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Manual locking of differential...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Manual locking of differential...

Hello Guys & Girls,

One question has cropped up on the French forum www.landmania.com : is it possible on a Disco 3 equipped with differential locking (Rear or Central), is it possible to manually lock those ? Is there something to be done ??

I think not, but I would like to be sure... So, if anyone knows, I'll post the answer, in french, over there... Wink

Post #795921st Jul 2005 5:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

No, though in certain situations in "Rock Crawl" the diff will lock immediately the programme is selected.

Post #796121st Jul 2005 5:25 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

No, TR decides when to lock/unlock them (seems to do a fairly good job too), you don't get any manual control

The Central one is standard on all D3s but as the Rear is optional a manual version will no doubt be available sooner or later (sooner if Brian has anything to do with it I suspect Wink )

Si
 The End  
Post #796421st Jul 2005 5:28 pm
Gurvan

Do you mean that the "rock crawl" mode almost certainly implies the locking of differential ?

Thanks anyway... Wink I guess that the one asking the question over there is not too eager to let the elctronics have their way... Wink

Post #796521st Jul 2005 5:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

No, but I wanted to make the point that when you select one of the TR programmes, and Rock Crawl is the one it is most likely to happen in, depending upon vehicle situation the diff might lock immediately - giving the impression of some form of "manual" control.

What is interesting is driving a vehicle with the optional rear locking diff and observing how infrequently the thing actually locks.

Post #796721st Jul 2005 5:32 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Best leave the car to do what it does from what I can gather... the latest One Life mag has a description of how it works. Was posted in the gallery I think or in a post somewhere on here...

-s

Post #796821st Jul 2005 5:34 pm
Gurvan

Now, I know that I should have said a poll... Wink

I agree that the car probably knows better than I do... I was just trying to find out if someone knew differently... Wink

Seems not...

Post #796921st Jul 2005 5:45 pm
ducati

I often use Terrain Response to "choose" whether the diffs are locked (or likely to lock). Rock crawl has the greatest amount of preload on the diffs, and I'll use it sometimes in the forest if I come to a difficult, slow, cross-axling situation. Additionally, if I find the rear locker is causing "crabbing" on side-tilts in slipprey mud, I will dial up "grass/gravel/snow" which has a light preload and often allows the diff to unlock (and thus keeps me on the mountainside, and not tumbling off!)

I know, I know, the computers know better. Razz
 '05 LR3 HSE

Departed: '62 Series IIA, '02 Freelander, '03 Disco 

Post #802922nd Jul 2005 12:04 pm
BN

England 

Ducatti has summed it up well, by using the settings in the case of the D3. Don't forget if you go off roading in a vehicle that you do not know the full working of, it is like travelling along a road without brakes. Off road driving is often the opposite to on road in driving techniques.

Getting back to the rear diff. It works in conjunction to its pre set programs.

I am waiting for the ARB air lockers to come out. They are trying them I found out the other day. If so, they are the diffs to get, because you control them not the car.

Post #803222nd Jul 2005 12:11 pm
P. Bianchi

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Winger wrote:

What is interesting is driving a vehicle with the optional rear locking diff and observing how infrequently the thing actually locks.

How do you tell rear diff has locked? A warning light? a dashboard message? you deduce from wheels not spinning? you deduce from axle break?

Thanks!
PB
 P. Bianchi, D3 TDV6 HSE - manual, nav 4x4 info, electric roof, rear diff, EGR blanked, EPB actuator changed 3rd times --> twirling balls, compressor twice, no longer MSV-2, Oltrepo' Pavese Hills, Pavia, Italy  
Post #3786817th Jan 2006 12:14 pm
Pelyma

England 

You will need the 4x4 info centre which shows a padlock sign, red for locked, green for unlocked. Otherwise trust in God!!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #3787117th Jan 2006 1:01 pm
P. Bianchi

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Pelyma wrote:
You will need the 4x4 info centre

Bwaaa, i don't have the 4x4 info center, only the plain SatNav. How do i possibly upgrade to premium nav? Is it a simple software issue, or do i need additional hardware to be fitted?

thanks!
ciao
 P. Bianchi, D3 TDV6 HSE - manual, nav 4x4 info, electric roof, rear diff, EGR blanked, EPB actuator changed 3rd times --> twirling balls, compressor twice, no longer MSV-2, Oltrepo' Pavese Hills, Pavia, Italy  
Post #3787217th Jan 2006 1:31 pm
Pelyma

England 

Factory fit only Crying or Very sad
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #3787617th Jan 2006 2:05 pm
tucker_j

England 

P. Bianchi wrote:

How do you tell rear diff has locked? A warning light? a dashboard message? you deduce from wheels not spinning? you deduce from axle break?

PB

When traction and forward momentum is suddenly restored Very Happy

When I did the experience in an HSE the instructor got it into a downhill rock-crawl with the potential for cross-articulation. Going along on tickover and brake, as soon as we got stuck I just gently released and reapplied the brake until the lock symbol appeared on the rear diff and away we went

Post #3788117th Jan 2006 3:41 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I don't understand how the ETC and diff locks "interact".

Where there is normal mechanical transmission (no electronics such as ABS, ETC etc), a diff lock simply ensures that equal amounts of turning force travels down each leg of the axle. As a result if one side is slipping and the other side is gripping, away you go. Without a diff lock the slipping side gets all the turning force and the gripping side gets none. So obviously a diff lock gets you moving in such a situation.

Where there are electronics in play, a slipping wheel is stopped from slipping by application of the brakes and as a result, all of the turning force travels into the gripping wheel (I think). If there was diff lock in this situation the brakes would burn out or something would break.

I remember that the TD5 disco didn't even have a centre diff lock because of this. It was only replaced under presure from the US market where a diff lock is an important phallic symbol.

So why on a D3 can you get a diff lock in the rear axle and what does it do ? I guess when the diff lock kicks in the electronics must switch off. Maybe I am completely missing the point here (I never was great at physics or mechanics), but I simply don't see what the diff lock achieves ?
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #3792017th Jan 2006 9:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >