DISCO3.CO.UK > General

How many guests?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
karl

United Kingdom 

here is the test....

What do you think of Whale Meat NoDo$h?
 D3 TDV8 HSE on order, Should Arrive 2017. If i'm lucky.  
Post #11849910th Jan 2007 10:15 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Raw or fried?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #11850910th Jan 2007 10:52 pm
karl

United Kingdom 

which ever you prefer
 D3 TDV8 HSE on order, Should Arrive 2017. If i'm lucky.  
Post #11851110th Jan 2007 10:59 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

sorry nodo$h - you just sounded like a Greenpi$$er. I am getting paranoid Rolling Eyes
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #11856211th Jan 2007 12:26 am
Malcolm

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Might be me but it seems to be that if you own a 4x4, hunted ( when legal ) fish, shoot, clays or other wise. like the couintry either side or our island nation you are not politically correct anymore.
Is this just me or am I having a bad dream?
 Alive and kicking..who's round is it anyway ??  
Post #11859911th Jan 2007 1:27 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

No dream, its time to fight back.

Post #11860111th Jan 2007 1:30 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

It's time to fight back alright, but fighting back doesn't mean arguing from a diametrically opposed position on every issue.

Sorry, rant time.... and this isn't aimed at any individual on this or any other board, it's simply my views on the green thing.

In my leisure timeI shoot and I eat what I shoot, even the squirrels (pest control on the estate). I help a friend (sheep farmer) at the busy times of year and have helped hand raise orphan lambs before seeing them off to the slaughterhouse and rehoming them in my freezer. I buy my pork by the half animal from a local farm and buy my beef from the same farm in 100lb batches. We rarely eat chicken but when we do it's locally raised to organic standards (which exceed freerange standards in most respects for animal welfare). All our veg is either grown at home or on the estate under the management of my wife (head gardener) or comes from organic, low food miles local suppliers and box schemes. Our fruit ditto.

In short, I care passionately about the welfare of any animal raised to feed us. In return I can be assured of quality food from healthy animals with the minimum of interference from modern agric-chemicals and pharmacuticals. I ncare passionately about food miles, not just for the eco reasons but for the quality of the product (fresher, not prettier) and for economic reasons. This latter point is not for my economic benefit, but for the benefit of the community I live in. I eat seasonally, in that I don't expect or want strawberries in December but make good use of the glut in June. I preserve foods in the old fashioned way, with kilner jars and the like.

In other words, Mrs Do$h and I play a small part in a community that continues to feed the nation despite the disrespect and hatred poured upon us. Although I live just 18 miles from a major town I live in a different world when at work. I work in a service industry that requires I spend my working day in faceless offices in towns and cities across the country, spending perhaps 3 months with one client, 1 with the next and 18 with the next. I need a vehicle that will cope with all these demands while accomodating and facilitating my involvement in the countryside. I also want one that will meet my leisure requirements, mountain biking and skiing. Can I do that with a hathback, an estate car? 80% of the time yes, but the occasions when such a vehicle would let me down are those that matter most; like helping recover sheep from a river or transporting injured animals back to the farm or maybe assisting in removing trees that have fallen on the estate or by local roads.

I am a member of the countryside alliance and am proud of that fact. I drive a 4x4 mostly through choice but there is a need for such a vehicle in our household too.

Despite this I don't condone greeny bashing for the sake of it. Much of what the vocal minority spout is hate-inspired, politics of envy and many "greens" despise this aspect every bit as much as we do. It's like hating the muslim owner of a local business because a minority of muslims choose to inflict violence upon us; it simply makes no sense. From what I saw of Pepiwotsit on here he seemed quite reasonable and I was rather uncomfortable with the way he was treated, but I chose not to take part in that thread.

The green agenda has been partly hijacked but it is in our interests to help where we can. I'm certainly not condoning binning our 4x4s but if you think about what many of us chose or need to use them for, it's a prerequisite that we play our part in maintaining the environment we use and enjoy.

Some of the anti green posts on here have been a little like politics in this country in the '90s. If one party says white, the other yells "black". If one says yes, the other howls no, regardless of whether the "opposition" had a valid point or not.

A bit of give and take on our part and our position, our choices, may gain a little more understanding and respect from those who oppose us. Wars aren't ended by fighting, they are ended by agreeing peace. In short, if you want to stop the greens fighting us to the death (and they may win this one if we aren't careful) we need to respect their views on the common sense stuff while demonstrating the futility of pursuing the more militant green agenda, that of returning to an agrarian society, complete with the pestilence and disease that would bring.

So if and when the call comes to blockade the politicos with our 4x4s I will be in the convoy from Dorset, but don't ask me to slag off all green issues simply for the sake of it.

Rant over. Pass the whale meat.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #11866511th Jan 2007 11:09 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Very considerate - and TBH some of the GP 'personas' used are much more radical than the individuals actually are. GP have and will continue to use disruptive tactics to get their underlying point across, they show absolutely no consideration for the (opposing) point of view of others - after all, protesting about something and at the same time saying "well you have a fair point there" isn't going to forward their (or anyone else's) cause is it?
Taking the fight to GP, ramblers, FoE etc. is currently the only way to get our point of view across, if it wasn't for several people engaging on the GP forum in a 'larger than life' manner, I doubt they'd even have considered their data was wrong and challenged - at least inwardly - some of their own assumptions. I have noticed a softening of their general attitude, although the barmpots still have their heads firmly up their @rses, and TBH, some of the things they want banned, changed or stopped are just pie in the sky alarmist claptrap. I do agree though, some of the polarised opinions are just for the sake of it, but hey, it can be fun! Wink

Post #11867111th Jan 2007 11:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Fair point NoDo$h.

I recycle glass, plastics, papers, use energy efficient lightbulbs for those lights in the house that seem to be always on, regularly use the local butchers in the village as well as the greengrocers (How many people have a greengrocers still!)
Hire local tradesmen when I really need to, use local garages for SWMBO's car (way out of any warranty Smile ) respectful of the countryside when walking the dog, teach my kids to do the same.
We also DO use supermarkets on a bi-weekly basis for in particular the items that tend to be bought in bulk.

Environment is not just about the world's natural resources, it's about the community we live in. There are far less communities now than ever and new housing estates do nothing to promote a community feel. Using local human resources/trades keeps the cycle of prosperity for everyone which in turn helps to maintain local produce and again goes back to the community.

All of it has to be balanced and we can all select areas of our lives to easily modify the behaviour to help everyone. I'm NOT a green and would gladly help with the Whale Meat barbecue. I do the above items because I can and it makes sense and £for£ costs very little more in the long run.

I enjoy the countryside and have spent many years walking/climbing/investigating our countryside because it's there and I enjoy being in the outdoors. I support fox hunting for all the traditional reasons, along with shooting for food or clays for pleasure.

So what is 'being green' all about REALLY.
I don't REALLY have a need for a Land Rover, I could cope with the cars we have, albeit that it would be inconvenient to have to take two cars when going on longer journeys (not to mention double the fuel).
But I WANT a LandRover, You can get all the environmental offsetting you like, but in a modern world, we have a choice, My choice is now a D3 which has a bigger engine and more emmissions than my existing car by about 15%
Does that mean that I'll make an effort to be 15% more 'green'? No, it just means that because of the press coverage, I'll be targeted with an anti-green brush when in fact I MAY already be doing more to help the environment and the community than Pious & other 'low emmission' badge wearing drivers.

Regardless of the 'green battle' will we ever win? No, because there are always people who will get the press to persecute those that have something that is perceived as bigger better faster more than most......

{edit} Just to be clear, in terms of "bigger better faster more " I'm not talking about wealth, you don't need any more money to be able to do all of the above, I'm not rich, but I do enjoy what I enjoy

end of sermon...
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #11867911th Jan 2007 11:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Well Bodsy, it sounds like we come from the same mould on that one. As with you, I don't need a D3 and could make do with the old L200 and another car but there are times when we would need to use both simultaneously. I want one and it's in my budget (just!)

Reading back what I wrote above I realised I was giving justifications for owning a 4x4, which isn't something we should have to do, any more than someone should have to justify breeding and adding another mouth that needs feeding.

Blimey, we wandered a long way OT there, didn't we!
Post #11868711th Jan 2007 12:13 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Maybe one of the Mods can put it in a new topic "Green, What's it REALLY about...?" Smile
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #11869611th Jan 2007 12:28 pm
SN

What do people think of this Ford 4x4 ....

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/2008escapehybrid/
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #11897011th Jan 2007 10:57 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Great, a Pious that really can be bundled in with all the other 4x4's......

Oh mind you, this'll really confuse the GP.....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #11897611th Jan 2007 11:03 pm
Jads777

Guernsey 

NoDo$h wrote:
From what I saw of Pepiwotsit on here he seemed quite reasonable and I was rather uncomfortable with the way he was treated, but I chose not to take part in that thread.

Pepsi was polite while on this site but rest assured that on GP, where he is a moderator, he can be (and has been) totally unreasonable, impolite and intolerant, even without provocation.

Post #11899211th Jan 2007 11:20 pm
Pepijn

Even without provocation huh? How would you describe constant trolling in random threads? I'd be interested in getting some more "info" on that, provide me with some cases where I have been impolite, intolerant and unreasonable. Just to note: I have not been moderating any 4x4 / car thread.

I received some comments -mostly directly posted on my own, non-related, website (about 150 comments by 3 persons...)- about being intolerant when I removed -not once but a number of times- whale meat recipes that got posted in random whaling threads. The person reporting most of them is a pro-whaler getting agitated by the constant "trying to be funny" of some people polluting discussions. The same people accused me of being unreasonable when moving (not deleting) some offtopic comments to a new thread.

Anyway, if you have real problems contact me directly via the Greenpeace forum PM system or email. I promise a quick reply.

Post #11904612th Jan 2007 1:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >