DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

After market DVD fitting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nigel Davies

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
After market DVD fitting

Question Hi
Has anyone information on fitting a non-Land Rover make, roof mounted DVD player (in this instance a Veba 10" screen single slot).
I would like to mount it where the standard centre roof interior lights are.
Having removed the light unit I can see in roof cross rails that there are four pre-tapped holes, but they don't line up with the Veba mounting plate.
Does Land Rover or anyone sell a kit to install ?
Does anyone sell a trim kit to fit around the base of the DVD player?
Appreciate any help please - trip to France imminent with four young children
Thanks
Nigel davies.

Post #13166320th Feb 2007 8:50 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

oldest has a personal dvd player 7" screen. Argos have an in car kit with 2 x 7" screens for £79 on sale.
ok, so it's not so pretty, but they can all link together and it's a velcro headrest job but hey, much cheaper than the installed kit and they can swap cars/houses etc etc.

i can't imagine there is a std kit available for your install, but it should be fairly easy to knock something up given that you have both measurements for the lr and your dvd screen.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #13167220th Feb 2007 9:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
White Disco

Australia 

Do You have a laptop? Or get a lend of one? I went down the laptop road. Costs more but you get more use out of a laptop.
Cheers,
David. 8)
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #13176321st Feb 2007 7:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrtyBlvd

Spain 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
*Pics now in gallery*

I've a Panasonic single fitted, and it's screwed tight to a wump of wood that spans the roof - reduces vibration and what have you - attach the wood to the roof, the DVD to the wood and away you go.

The angle of the roof vs the length of the player results in the gap betwixt the two - I used sound board felt rolled and tucked in; matches the roof lining and looks fine. I'll try and get a cam phone image up in the gallery shortly...

If you're going to use IR headphones and have kids, it's worth checking to see if the kids heads will fit in their car seats with them on - Recaro type buckets have head support to the sides that run mighty close to restricting their use... Rolling Eyes

Cautionary word - do be careful that you don't disturb the remote central locking receiver which is (in my LHD) mounted on the near side of the roof - the wire that is the antenna is *not* held securely in place and the gentlest of tugs will pull it free from its' socket. The wire runs diagonally across the roof space to the 'A' pillar, and in my case, when i dropped the light down, the wiring for it ran *over* the CL antenna; so lifting the light down popped the connector out and after 4 hours installing, the bloody thing wouldn't open/close! Cue too-ing and fro-ing for a diagnostic check followed by uninstall, find, clip and replace before it worked... Whistle
 "There is a road from the eye to the heart that does not go through the brain" - G.K Chesterton  
Post #13179721st Feb 2007 10:26 am
al cope

England 

I have a non LR DVD/TV/flip down screen combo, mounted whwre the alarm IR unit sat. (so its flat of the roof). Repositioned the IR sensors back in the DVD base. Power pick up from the rear light unit. made up some small brackets to pick up on the crossmembers behind the roof lining. Also has FM modulator, so tune the stereo in to play the DVD audio.

Some pics (although not too clear) in my gallery.

Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #13181321st Feb 2007 11:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >