Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > North America & LR3/4

Matzker-wheel spacers and air suspension control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jwest

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
Matzker-wheel spacers and air suspension control

I also posted this on the uk section. I know there will be some people in the US market excited about this though. Check out the link, it's in german but I put the two items I'm interested in through a translator and will list in next post below.

Has nobody else found this yet? They seem to have some very useful items for those of us who want more off-road capability or at least more control over the suspension.

http://www.matzker.de

They have wheel spacers made to allow larger/taller tires as well as an electronic suspension control system that allows lowering and raising the suspension at will and to the maximum rather than the factory limit and/or maximum once you are already grounded. We all know that once you are grounded it takes more than just a bit more clearance to get going again while having it to start with could be the ticket to not sticking in the first place.

The highway driving suspension lowering, by about an inch, sounds like a nice sporty ride as well when desired.

Anyone know about this stuff?
 96 Disco I, 210,000 miles - still going strong
04 Disco II, Vienna/Tundra, +2" lift, onboard air, 120V...
07 LR3 HSE
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6 

Post #15127023rd Apr 2007 4:02 pm
jwest

Any of you wanting to use larger/taller tires may have found that the backside of the tire clearance is very tight. These properly designed wheel spacers are not only hub centric but also provide a hub flange for the rim to also center onto. BMW's and our newer model rovers require this. Below is the description translated from German (photos are easy to figure out on their website but I posted some in my gallery):

A widening of the track causes a better road holding of the vehicle. The rolling inclination, thus swaying the vehicle is reduced, because the lever function of the bicycle bearer counteracts with an enlarged track.

With it the ground pressure of the wheels becomes steadier. The driving behavior becomes more pleasant and more sure, with sporty driving manner is even noticeable that the dynamic stability control must intervene only later. The optical appearance of the vehicle is likewise improved.

By calculation and driving attempts we have determined the optimum value of the trace widening of 25 mms distance disc. She exists of high-strength light alloy to raise the unfitted with springs masses as little as possible. A highly exact manufacturing with center centring provides for a perfect going about. The light alloy-trace widenings are anodized black and are delivered with a safety standards authority certificate. Assembly 19 AW.
07 LR3 HSE
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6 

Post #15127523rd Apr 2007 4:05 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

...and all those who've put non-standard wheels and / or tyres on Defenders know exactly what the spacer rings can do to wheel bearings Rolling Eyes

Post #15127723rd Apr 2007 4:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jwest

really bad or just kind of bad idea ?
07 LR3 HSE
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6 

Post #15130323rd Apr 2007 4:57 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

on road, 'kind of bad' off road 'really bad' for extended loadings and prolonged use. If you're going to do it then i'd suggest ensuring the wheel bearing pre-load adjustment is 'perfect' before fitting them and include wheel bearing checks in your regular maintenance Wink

Post #15132423rd Apr 2007 5:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

jwest wrote:
really bad or just kind of bad idea ?

Really Really bad idea. As 10 says the extra loadings on the bearings due to the wider stance creates a lot of stress in the bearings. If you do this to a 110 speaking from experience expect to replace the bearings about every 4000 miles.

BTW my D3 is in the shop as we speak for a complete set of wheel bearings and my D3 is standard. I would imagine that the D3 will suffer the same as 110 if spacers were fitted.

BTW BTW I'm not saying don't do it just be aware as to what may/will happen Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #15134023rd Apr 2007 5:54 pm
jwest

thanks guys! "if" i get them, AND the tires articulate with no problems and i allow the 32.5" tires to fit that i already have, THEN i will also have my english cars/rover shop be part of the fitting and discuss the issues you mentioned.

maybe i end up only using them for specific trips that alone only run 3000 to 5000 miles and then remove them and the larger tire/wheel combos for the rest of the year. for summer and work mileage i run the rrsport 20" rims with 275/45 tires and fit fine as is.

thanks again.
07 LR3 HSE
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6 

Post #15153524th Apr 2007 2:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >