Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Maybe JLR servicing isn’t so bad...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Maybe JLR servicing isn’t so bad...

Had the misfortune of breaking down in a company Ford van last week...diesel Transit connect van which started missing under load...
Could only be fuel pump or injectors....anyway knew I was not going to get it back to our workshops and thus sussed out the nearest Ford dealer that was actually open....struggled to get it there but was grateful to abandon it....

Given the lockdown I told them I was in no great rush for it but they were certainly not overrun with business...Anyway we arranged that I would leave it with them for the week to give them plenty of time to sort it....whilst it was there we said they might as well give it a full service, replace a window switch and repair the Aircon....

Gave them numerous chase ups over the week and reiterated my timetable... from the tracker I could see it wasn’t moving much hence the reminders... also the fact that this garage was 120 miles from home so didn’t want a wasted visit... all agreed and stated it should have been fine to pick up at the allotted time..

Got there yesterday morning to be told that they hadn’t fitted injectors yet and were going to need a couple of hours more..

Ok being understanding and left them for 5 hours and went and did some business elsewhere and got some lunch... then got sent a long video of an inspection where they had measured tread depths and pad depths and a lovely video of the underside of my 20,000 mile Connect..

Came back and still not done...stated they had now done the injectors but missed it had needed a service... whilst I was at it I raised the Aircon issue again and was told they had refilled it and it was holding the gas so all working..

Therefore sat outside for another hour waiting for the service to be done...finally they told me it was ready and presented me with a bill for £2200!!

Drove it out... tried the Aircon as it was super hot yesterday to find the Aircon not working at all...then tried to open the drivers door window which was also still broken! WTF!

JLR you’re not so bad! (Finger crossed....my RRS is in for service tomorrow!)

Post #214981028th May 2020 9:04 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

It makes one wonder what the service managers actually do in these places. Surely they should be checking to see that work has been done as agreed before the vehicle is returned? My guess is that they generally aren't technical people at all, just guys in shiny suits with "manager" in their job title. Thus they just believe the paperwork put in front of them by the "technician".

At the indy I use the service manager knows the oily bits of LRs better than most of the mechanics. Often he gets called through to the workshop to discuss an issue. I've seen him in there with spanners in his hands on more than one occasion. I've discussed jobs on my vehicles and he'll sit there and tell you how the part is fitted, with hand movements as he imagines fitting the part, explaining why it's a tricky job.

I see similar differences on building sites. A decent site manager makes a huge difference to a project. Likewise a decent service manager can help a garage.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #214981628th May 2020 9:15 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just from a simple effiency and cost perspective, you'd think they'd want to get it right. The wastage in dealer service centres is shocking.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder