Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback

mechanics pay!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
qualified LR mechanic

United Kingdom 
all news to me

hell i always assumed all you D3 owners got everything fitted b4 the car left the showroom(not many leave us without lights, tow gear(oups need IDS 4 that) mud flaps, rubbing strips etc etc etc. iv even fitted winches to D3's that only do the perilous "school run"!!
but hey I'm somewhere in the north of England so if you wanna private message me then feel free. if we can help each other out then thats all good.

Post #13064316th Feb 2007 10:07 pm
qualified LR mechanic

United Kingdom 
all news to me

hell i always assumed all you D3 owners got everything fitted b4 the car left the showroom(not many leave us without lights, tow gear(oups need IDS 4 that) mud flaps, rubbing strips etc etc etc. iv even fitted winches to D3's that only do the perilous "school run"!!
but hey I'm somewhere in the north of England so if you wanna private message me then feel free. if we can help each other out then thats all good.

Post #13064416th Feb 2007 10:08 pm
JMC

Scotland 

OK, I've heard enough and I can't stand to keep my mouth shut. Shocked

Mr Mechanic. You haven't said how old or experienced you are. You haven't said who has paid for your training. You haven't said what risk you take arriving for work, getting paid, taking sick leave, holidays etc.

Get a life Shocked

Your overdraft is your own problem - businesses don't start by themselves and successful businesses don't stay afloat by making a loss. I started my business in debt and without holidays. Your dealership start-up boss probably did the same.

If you want a trade union you have come to the wrong place. These guys may make you feel a bit better but none of them are going to swap places with you. I'm sorry mate - it's a tuff world out there. Put-up or shut-up. Shocked

I've worked happily for less than £8 an hour and I've also paid my staff more than I have earned myself. Evil or Very Mad

Looking over the fence is very easy.......... Grass green over there is it? Rolling Eyes

Post #13064516th Feb 2007 10:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichieP

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Can't help but agree to a certain extent.

The advantage of being an employee is you work your hours and you go home

The disadvantage of having your own business is very rarely does the work stop.

The advantage of being an employee is you are 'realtively' secure

The advantage of having your own business is if you get it right and the wind is blowing the right way and you don't make a bad credit decision you might be able to make some money!

But the advantage of Britain ....(flame ready) is you can decide.
 Richard......

2006 HSE Lugano Teal - with screens a DVD....PS2.... Freeview, and MANTEC plate!
2007 XS Commercial Java Black - with leather, Aux Battery and MANTEC plate 

Last edited by RichieP on 16th Feb 2007 11:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13065016th Feb 2007 10:23 pm
qualified LR mechanic

United Kingdom 
JCM

questions answered truthfully. but whats the piont of sharing them.

Last edited by qualified LR mechanic on 18th Feb 2007 10:50 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13065316th Feb 2007 10:40 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

WOW! Shocked Sounds like you're well balanced - a chip on both shoulders....
so just how often do you have to 'endure' these trips to Gaydon?
FWIW, I worked as a vehicle electrician in the late 80's and early '90s and was earning £12/hr as a day rate, some of the LR Technicians I'm aware of are earning in excess of double that at LR authorised dealers....
You want to be a plumber? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing sorry fella but if you're looking for sympathy it's in the dictionary - between Censored and syphilis Razz If you're not earning what you think you should then either your employer is taking the Censored out of you or vice-versa

Post #13065416th Feb 2007 11:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
carl...

2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
mechanic

I can see this page is getting a bit serious!! I'm new to all this but finding some comments very interesting. I can understand the criticism the mechanic is getting but if he is as experienced as he says then i can also see his point. Some people seem very quick to say move jobs but this is very easy to say to a total stranger and I would guess these people are wealthy enough to not worry about any consequences(hell i know i am). You say you like your job so i hope the dealership you work at does indeed give a little more respect, and more pay obviously! Laughing

I'd love to know the dealership in question??

Post #13069416th Feb 2007 11:51 pm
RichieP

My last comment in this discussion, but £3 per hour isn't allowed in this country any more ... and quite rightly so......

My software developer and chief tech used to be sold for 2K per day, to some companies she was worth it Shocked
 Richard......

2006 HSE Lugano Teal - with screens a DVD....PS2.... Freeview, and MANTEC plate!

Post #13070116th Feb 2007 11:57 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Well I know for sure that a LR apprentice tech. is on more than £3/hr and took that part of the post as a bit of trolling / vitriol and duly ignored it Rolling Eyes

Post #13071217th Feb 2007 12:05 am
RichieP

TFC agree Laughing Laughing

Hope one day to meet!!
 Richard......

Post #13074417th Feb 2007 12:23 am
qualified LR mechanic

United Kingdom 

things seem to of got a bit out of hand eh. iv never meant to cause any anger. yeah I'm a little vexed that us mechanics dnt get a great load of thanks. but iv not come on here to cause sh*t with any1!! i work in a small dealership which makes it hard to make waves for change. I'm not bitter for what i have like you say i could move!! but i have not told any lies!! i answered the questions that were asked. my young lad is not LR apprentice but goes to local collage motor technician course and he is on £3ph. this is the last you will see of me. happy motoring all.

Post #13074617th Feb 2007 12:23 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

good luck qLRm!!
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #13074717th Feb 2007 12:25 am
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Damn!

I think he was treated really badly!
 Back in the game!  
Post #13076617th Feb 2007 1:12 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: mechanic

carl... wrote:
I can see this page is getting a bit serious!! I'm new to all this but finding some comments very interesting. I can understand the criticism the mechanic is getting but if he is as experienced as he says then i can also see his point. Some people seem very quick to say move jobs but this is very easy to say to a total stranger and I would guess these people are wealthy enough to not worry about any consequences(hell i know i am). You say you like your job so i hope the dealership you work at does indeed give a little more respect, and more pay obviously! Laughing

I'd love to know the dealership in question??
Ah, talking to yourself now! I wonder what you're really 'qualified' in Rolling Eyes The End  
Post #13077917th Feb 2007 7:26 am
Doctor Diesel

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Come on chaps , I think we were a little mean to qlrm

A workshop lad is a great asset to have on the forum.

As far as The topic goes, it is very true that all the admin etc has to be covered and that the profit in cars nowadays comes from. aftersales but don't forget the value of loyalty and skill! I employ a dozen staff at my medical centre and know that to protect my investment in their training etc I need to pay them more than my local colleagues would offer.

He said he was in a small dealership in north England, clearly the dealership is far enough away from others to not have to worry about staff jumping ship

The problem as I see it is that we are not terribly good at valuing staff in this country as a whole. The dichotomy exists even within the same company, for example I reckon my 20 plus years of medical experience is renumerated pretty well but the same could not be said of my nursing colleagues

Cut the mechanic some slack, we would be stuffed without them!

However I was once told the grass was always greener on the other side of the fence BUT you still have to mow the lawn

Ok soapbox mode off and flamesuit on Laughing
 2007 HSE Java Black.....sold
2007 B150 Horizon Blue
2008 Toyota Aygo Platinum

--------------------------------------------------
The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #13078117th Feb 2007 8:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >