Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Melb D3 owners Day Trip REPORT & PICS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Horto22

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Simon
Good to hear your happy with the D3 Simon, as I have 2 weeks to wait for mine and look forward to getting it off road to see how she goes.

Cheers Horto

Post #13099318th Feb 2007 1:17 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi All Melbournites.

I rang up Parks Victoria to ask about updated information on the map I previously attached showing the fire restricted areas they tell me it has been updated and is below.

The good news over the telephone conversation with Parks Vic was that the restricted area where we want to go sounds like it is not restricted now.

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources/mr...losure.pdf

The area that our trip will be in is just south of Eildon lake and running into the Big River area (East of Rubicon).

So to recap who is coming based on this thread:

1. PCH
2. RSP
3. TDMP
4. REDDISCO
5. Simon_Arch1 (maybe)
6. SKP
7. SKP's mate
8. Bigtoe (added 5/3/07)

The plan is to meet at Healesville (opposite the GRAND HOTEL @ 270 Maroondah Highway, Healesville) @ 8.45am with a start time at 9.00am on Sunday 25th March 07. We will then head over the Black Spur up to Eildon.

If you have a UHF radio please bring it along we can use Channel 20 to start with.

If you have recovery gear please bring it along if you can safely contain it in the back including air compressor. I'll bring along the following: 9m 8000kg snatch strap, 20m winch extension strap, pulley, tree trunk protector, bottle jack, jacking plate, air compressor, 9500lb winch and 30m cable is on the front, rated shackles, small shovel, tyre repair kit etc... Hopefully none will be needed.

Please fuel up prior to meeting to save wasting time.

Lunch and snacks for your family.

I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

Regards,

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Last edited by PCH on 5th Mar 2007 4:20 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #13121619th Feb 2007 7:27 am
White Disco

Australia 

Can confirm definite starter 08:45 opp Grand Hotel Maroondah Hwy Healesville.
Should be a good day. Hope for rain in the week before to add to the fun Very Happy .
Any more takers? The more the merrier. Thumbs Up
Cheers,
David.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #1345212nd Mar 2007 1:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bigtoe

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

If you accept lurkers, my family and I are there. Should be a good day.. Woohoo first post! Very Happy 'Cos we drive the same cars, does that mean you'll hang it on me instead of the car???? Sheep See you there. Stef...

Post #1351614th Mar 2007 8:15 am
White Disco

Australia 

Welcome aboard Big Toe Thumbs Up ,
If You drive a Disco3 Mate; there aint much to hang on You. Wink Whistle
Not lurkers Mate You're now D3 drivers. Proud & permagrinning. Laughing
See You & the Fam there.
Cheers,
David.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #1351864th Mar 2007 12:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Okay D3'ers,

I had a look at the "Rooftop" maps for Eildon and Big River and came up with a route which should be interesting (with nice views and reasonable tracks).

In summary the route starts from Healsville - Eildon - Mt Terrible - Big River - Camberville (along Marysville-Woods Pt Rd) - Reefton (or your choice to go to Marysville). I'll be heading back via Reefton.

Start 9.00am and finish 5.00pm (at Camberville along Marysville-Woods Pt Rd)

Hopefully if you have maps of the area you can trace out where I plan to go.

1. From Healesville head over the Black Spur to Eildon.
2. Turn right at the Eildon-Jamesion Rd and follow this road for quite a few kms.
3. Turn left into Gap Tk and then onto Pinnacle Tk which will take us up to a northerly mountain view. Continue on Pinnacle Tk until we meet with Taylor's Ck Tk.
4. Take the right on Taylor's Ck Tk to then join up at Eildon-Jamesion Rd again.
5. Turn left onto Eildon-Jamesion Rd and continue to Newans Tk.
6. Turn right onto Newman's Tk. I've been on this track before and it is pretty easy going if you have a 4WD. Follow this Tk until we reach Mt Terrible Tk and the Fire Tower. This is a good point for a nice 360 degree view and maybe a good point for lunch and a group photo or two.
7. Follow Mt Terrible Tk and then join with Hope Tk which will then run into Big River Rd.
8. Turn left onto Big River Rd and follow it until Snowy Rd.
9. Turn left into Snowy Rd and continue onto Little Ck Tk which then runs into Morris Tk. Turn left onto Morris Tk which then runs into Warburton-Wood Pts Road.
10. Turn right onto the Warburton-Wood Pts Road and head back to Reefton or Marysville. I'll be heading back to Reefton/Yarra Junction rather than going back to Marysville/Healsville.

I've picked Tk's that I haven't travelled on (except for Newman Tk) rather than doing an old route. This always has risks with condition of tracks and level of difficulty. As a group if anyone is really not keen to contiue on a Tk due to difficulty then either we will decide on a different route to try to arrive at the same place or rethink the route.

With the above route there is a way to "cut and run" if we are running out of time. At point 7. above we can turn right onto Big River Rd and go past Enoch Pt instead of going left and this will take us out to the Eildon-Jamesion Rd again. I have done this in the past and Big River Rd is an easy Rd.

Let me know if you are okay with this route.

By the way I think we limit the group to 7-8 cars otherwise it will become to big a group for a day trip.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1355235th Mar 2007 4:14 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Chris - have still got this day in my diary, but having just moved house, and being away the follow-ing w/end, not holding my breath... but - sounds like a great route!

Much of the country will be burnt out, but that in itself will be interesting. I know most of that area too - and it should be a great day.

cheers, and thanks,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #1355255th Mar 2007 6:05 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

hi Chris - I am a definite starter.

Thanks for taking the time to organise this trip - much appreciated.

Can I make one request? Can we make the start/meeting point the Black Spurr Inn at Narbethong? I will be coming "over the top" via Warburton, so if we meet in Healesville I'll have to "double back" over the Black Spur.

Narbethong is only 15mins from Healesville, and the pub (Inn) has a large car-park where we can all meet and greet. Its also very 4WD friendly, does a great brekky and good coffee.

(My other motive is that, I stayed/ate/drank there this weekend past, and as it was so good I will be staying there again this coming Saturday night. If we meet there, I can get an extra 15mins sleep!).

What do you think?
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #14043018th Mar 2007 10:45 pm
PCH

Tristan,

If you are okay with this idea we still meet at Healsville (except for you) and we pick you up on the way (say about 9.15ish). How's that sound.

Goers as far as I know are:

1. PCH
2. RSP
3. TDMP
4. REDDISCO
5. SKP
6. Bigtoe (added 5/3/07)

All details remain the same as previously posted.

Weather forecast states some showers in Melbourne on Saturday so if this gets up into Eildon then the tracks might get some dust reduction.

I'm looking forward to meeting up with everyone and having a great day out. I even put the STT's back on on Saturday night in anticipation so I'm ready to hit the tracks.

BTW, more than happy to organise a trip for everyone.

Chris

Post #14049319th Mar 2007 12:48 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

That’s fine, thanks Chris.

If you try calling me on Ch. 20 I will be ready for you guys at 9.15, and can just tag on to the end of the convoy (I’ll PM you my mobile number. If you are running late just give me a call).

In terms of gear, I will bring the normal recovery kit (strap, tree protector, shovel, shackles, etc). I will also be getting the 9.5k winch fitted on Friday, so will have that also. I also have a rapid tyre deflator and a portable air compressor (that works).

Looking forward to the weekend (fingers crossed for the rain to keep coming!)
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #14090120th Mar 2007 7:58 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Chris - we're still a maybe for Sunday - we're going camping nr Big River the following weekend, so trying to position it as a good recce trip Smile and we could always pull out at lunch time if necess...

Assume for now that we won't see you - but I'll call you if we are coming - can you emai me your contact details?
- sarch@4x4intelligence.com.au

Thanks,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #14090420th Mar 2007 8:16 am
Horto22

I would be keen to join this trip if any vacancy, just picked up my D3 2 weeks ago so are keen to give it a run off road.

Cheers
Horto
2007 White TDV6 SE with Diff lock.

Post #14095820th Mar 2007 12:31 pm
PCH

Horto,

You are most welcome. It might be a bit muddy if the area has had some rain.

I'm not sure if Bugtoe is still coming. Everyone else has confirmed so the group is 7 with Bigtoe and yourself.

Meet us opposite the Grand Hotel in Healsville at 8.45am Sunday 25th March with a full tank of fuel. We will leave at 9.00am.

I know only 2 of the others on this trip and have done trips with them before so we know what each other are happy to do so hopefully you will be okay with that. I'm personally not into dunking the D3 into 2m deep bog hole full of muddy water and then having to climb out of the window to set up a recovery - this is extreme in my mind and doesn't fill me with much pleasure however tackling a difficult track and pushing the D3's boundarys is more to what I find as fun plus meeting up with a bunch of guys who like to go 4WD'ing and not want to wreck their trucks..

See you Sunday,

Chris

Post #14111420th Mar 2007 10:57 pm
Horto22

Thanks Chris

Iwill email you latter in the week if I'm not going to make it, but at this stage looking forward to meeting you and the others on Sunday. I have been on several trip with Simon Arch in our previous D2's so I will know at least one of the group if Simon makes it along, (2 if Carleys coming)
 2010 White D4 TDV6 3.0l SE, Rear Diff Lock.  
Post #14123521st Mar 2007 11:35 am
Bigtoe

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

PCH,

My family and I will definitely be there with bells on. (Breakdown excluded).

I am also getting the STT's refitted tomorrow in anticipation.

Should be good except for the early start for us...

Cheers

Stef.

Post #14156622nd Mar 2007 7:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >