Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Melb D3 owners Day Trip REPORT & PICS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I tell you what, reading the other post on fitting MTR's and STT's makes it look like you guys are planning some tougher tracks for our trip.

Hopefully the rain has wet the tracks enough to make it worth the effort you guys are putting in. Good on you anyway.

See you tomorrow.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #14251524th Mar 2007 3:31 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

not really planning anything additional to "the group". I had to change wheels for my beach driving trip to tassy next week, and figured this weekend would be a good chance to test them.

If the amount of rain that has been falling here has also been falling in the hills, then I'm additionally happy to have good tyres on.

I'm off - cya tomorrow.
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #14251724th Mar 2007 3:38 am
dflo

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Looking forward to seeing the pics from this trip - if only to put some faces to names - Very Happy

Here's hoping you have fun - Wink
 "Funny, mine doesn't do that......."  
Post #14259224th Mar 2007 1:38 pm
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Here's hoping they do... woke up with a sick boy this morning - we might head off and reverse the trip shortly, see if we bump into 6-8 D3's coming down from Mt Terrible! What a great sight. And yes - if we do, there'll be plenty of pics.

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #14272125th Mar 2007 12:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon_arch1

We did go out and try to find the rest of the intrepid travellers - but they spent too much time chatting and admiring each others vehicles and didn't get as far as planned, so we only managed to make radio contact with them, as they were coming off Mt Terrible, and we were on the ridge on Little Creek Track - see pics at

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...&pos=2 etc...

oh, and tragically, we came across an air ambulance on the road on the way home too Sad

Still - a beautiful day for a drive nr Melbourne - sunny but cool! After a couple of days of rain thankfully!

cheers,

Simon[/img]
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #14277525th Mar 2007 1:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
away

I wanted to join you lot on this trip but the missus wasn't too keen on the 3000 Km trip to the starting point....

Anyway, how did it go?
 D4: Expedition Rack, 104 Litre Long Range Tank, Raised Air Intake
D3: Every bloomin' thing but the kitchen sink 

Post #14298326th Mar 2007 12:03 am
PCH

Okay then here is a trip report from what I can recall.

There was heaps going on and we could have spent the whole day talking about anything and everything rather than 4WD'ing.

Judging by how much discussion was taking place it was hard to get anyone back in their D3’s and moving every time we stopped.

D3’s on the trip: PCH, SKP, RSP, REDDISCO, TDMP, BIGTOE and HORTO. Unfortunately Simon_Arch could not meet us even though he tried hard.

The trip report:

The meeting place was Healesville opposite the Grand Hotel at 8.45am. The weather was fine and sunny. The question in my mind was how wet were the tracks, Bureau of Meteorology told me that Eildon only had a couple of millimetres of rain so maybe the tracks will still be dry and dusty. We hit the road at 9.15am and would pick up TDMP at the Narbethong Hotel. SKP volunteered to be Tail End Charlie (Thank you SKP, aka Dusty Laughing ). After a stop to meet TDMP and check out his Dynamic steel wheels, Cooper STT’s and wheel nut problem we got moving again.

On the way out to Eildon there was plenty of talk on the UHF radios with comparison between our D3's that ranged in age from early 2005 to current 2007 models. The first comparison was fuel consumption. Everyone reset their trip computers at Healesville to get a common base line. Everyone had a TDV6's and autos but we had a mix of road tyres through to mud tyres. It was amazing to see a spread of consumption from low 10 lt/100km to mid 13 lt/100km after 20-30km. I don't think REDDISCO (who was on the OEM Goodyear Wranglers) had the best consumption. Even though Horto's D3 is the newest at a few weeks old (3 tanks so far) was still returning pretty good figures with his newly acquired BMW X5 wheels and MTR's (this is a first for all of us and opens up a new option to aftermarket (another car manufacturers Rolling Eyes ) wheels).

Lots of heads were turning in the small towns as a bunch of D3’s motored past with the sound of off-road tyres whining on the bitumen.

Finally we made it to Gap Tk around 11 am. This track would take us onto Pinnacle Tk for our first loop. Everyone dropped tyre pressures. Pinnacle Tk starts off easy then heads up toward the heavens. The gradient was STEEP, anyone want to guess the incline? The steeper part of the track was rocky. I was a bit worried about REDDISCO’s tyres but he made it without any tyre damage. There was really no sign of dampness which would have made the climb interesting. The views north were impressive and clear. To complete the loop we headed back down Pinnacle track and back out to Eildon-Jamesion Road.

It was nearing midday so we decided to stop at Big River for lunch rather than try to make it up to Mt Terrible’s summit. This would give the little ones time to stretch their legs, have a run, play in the mud and river. Horto’s daughter was into dunkin her little pooch into the mud. Her kind of 4WD’ing. By the way her pooch was a cute but muddy toy dog just in case you got the wrong idea. As usual the guys gathered together and talked D3’s and the gals gathered together talking about other stuff. I was with the guys so cannot report on what the gals talked about.

After a lengthy stop we set off at 2.00pm for Mt Terrible following Newman’s Tk. There are a few diversions (read tougher track) alongside Newman’s Tk. I heard over the UHF that one of the guys (was that BIGTOE or HORTO) tried out some of these diversions. The D3 apparently just walked up them.

Part way up Newman’s Tk TDMP’s D3 got a bit sick and told him that the auto transmission was over heated, HDC and gear selection were unavailable - Oh oh. After a few minutes of idling and a switch off/restart the D3 was fine and didn’t play up again.

Finally we made the summit of Mt Terrible (1362 m). It is such a nice view up here that you want to stay for a while and take it in. The weather was just perfect – sunny and clear. Mt Buller and Mt Stirling was just over there, the Bluff was clearly visible and you could see down to Mansfield. This was the first time for me to see where the recent bush fires had burnt through. The side of Mt Terrible were burnt and in the distance you could see big brown patches of burnt forests. This would have been a scary place a few months ago.

Time for a group shot (people and D3’s).

Over the UHF we heard a call from someone looking for a Disco3 group. It was a bit strange but anyway I answered and Simon_Arch was looking for us. He was on Little River Tk ridge and we were still up on Mt Terrible so radio coverage was perfect. He headed in on the route but in reverse direction hoping to catch up with us but due to the time (it was now after 3.30pm) it was time to cut the trip short and take one more 4WD track called Donald Tk down to Big River Road and make our way back out to the Eildon-Jamesion Road. If we were lucky then maybe we will catch up with Simon at Buxton. Donald Tk was one I’ve done before with RSP and it is a bit steep and rocky in places. The views looking down into Big River along the track are absolutely terrific but you have to keep an eye on the track because it is narrow in places and has big drop offs if you’re not careful. Nearing the end of the track we came to a rutted section which needs good wheel placement to avoid hitting a big tree while you negotiate the rock ledge and ruts. Watching the D3’s down this section was very impressive. Everyone made it down without any dramas.

After an easy drive along Big River Road we came to the Eildon-Jamesion Road where we pumped the tyres up for the trip home. The kids had more time to run around and play in the mud. Horto’s daughter wasn’t dunkin her toy dog in the mud now but instead she was dunking herself in the mud. She definitely doesn’t want to be out done by dad in his D3.

The group split up and head on back home around 5.30pm from Big River. Unfortunately we didn’t catch up with Simon who left Buxton before we made it there.

Even though we didn’t cover the intended route I reckon we all had fun with what we had covered and who we met. There were no busted D3’s as far as I know which is a great achievement. I need to straighten a steel heat shield that got poked by a big stick but that’s about it. SKP (aka Dusty) needs to blow the dust out of his D3. TDMP needs to get a set of steel wheel nuts, HORTO needs to remove the BMW badges off his X5 wheels. Anything else to add here Question

Feel free to add pics of the trip to the post or let me know of corrections to the report.

Chris

Goto to my Gallery if you want bigger pics - http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=288

D3's at the Narbethong Hotel

Horto testing the MTR's on Pinnacle Tk

Horto's MTR's and BMW X5 wheels

Rest stop and a chat Laughing Pinnacle Tk

Another stop for a chat Shocked for lunch Big River

Kids getting out and having a ball

Oh oh, TDMP's bonnet's up

D3's in formation - Mt Terrible

Pick the odd one out Razz

Northly view from Mt Terrible - Fire damage can be seen in the foreground trees

The Group

D3 Traffic jam Shocked

TDMP on Donald Tk

BIGTOE on Donald Tk

BIGTOE on Donald Tk

RSP on Donald Tk

TDMP on Donald Tk

Horto on Donald Tk

SKP giving us a Dusty grin

2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Last edited by PCH on 27th Mar 2007 12:52 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #14299026th Mar 2007 4:02 am
simon_arch1

Great report Chris - was cool to pick you up on the airwaves - easily 20-25km apart, and I only had my stubby aerial on - pity we didn't meet in person, but next time.

Simon
Post #14299326th Mar 2007 6:29 am
dflo

Sounds like a great time was had by all - Look forward to seeing the pictures!!!

(Great write up, PCH - Thumbs Up )

(I'm not envious, I'm not envious, I'm not envious, I'm not envious.........)
Post #14299826th Mar 2007 6:49 am
White Disco

Australia 

Thank You very much Chris PCH for organising such a wonderful trip, enjoyed by All here.
Thumbs Up Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

17 Y.O. that stayed at home is filthy She did not come as 14 Y.O. told her in glowing terms of the adventure.
Mrs RD. said She can now see Her husband is not a one off looney about his car but, in fact, there is, comfortably,
many others. We looked like "Dogs sniffing each others b Censored ms'" the way we were looking at each others D3's. Laughing

No damage to report here but then I have not cleaned it yet. I hope nobody else sustained any damage. Thumbs Up
A big Thank You from Mrs RD and Little RD # 2. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Wink

Cheers,
David,
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #14303326th Mar 2007 9:52 am
PCH

Trip Report and Pics posted. Enjoy.

If anyone on the trip wants a full set of pics in hi resolution (12.8 Mega Pixel - 5MB each) send me a PM with a postal address and I'll burn a CD for you.

Chris

Post #14332227th Mar 2007 12:58 am
White Disco

Australia 

The Group

OK Names to faces: L to R Red Disco, Little Red Disco, Mrs Red Disco, Biggest Little Big Toe, Big Toe (crouching at front), Littlest Big Toe (on Big Toes knee), Mrs Big Toe, Mrs PCH, Little PCH (in front), TDMP, Bigger (I think) Little TDMP, Mrs TDMP, Littler Little TDMP, Horto, Little Horto (on tail gate), Horto's D3, SKP, RSP, SKP's D3. Very Happy
Absent in shot: PCH (taking photo) & Horto's 4 leg drive (looking at us in bewilderment from in front of PCH).

NB. The Sun is shining in Autumn. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Big Cry
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #14332627th Mar 2007 5:43 am
dflo

It certainly seems like you all had fun - some good shots in there - Thumbs Up

Funny really, we get puddles and "Salisbury Beige" - You get sunshine and mountain views - Laughing
Post #14334627th Mar 2007 8:26 am
300+

As the line goes...

So where the b l o o d y h e l l are you?

Steve

Post #14334827th Mar 2007 8:34 am
Horto22

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks for organizing the trip Chris.

Ashleigh, reggie the dog & I had a great day. Was good to catch up and with meet everyone. Hopefully this will be first of many trips. Simon was a shame we did get to meet up, but was good to know you where out and about.

I was very impressed with the D3 on its first offroad outing. Having tested the abbilities of my previous heavily modified D2, I was keen tosee how the D3 would perform, and so took a few opportunities to take a couple of the more challanging alternative routes allong the way, none of which troubled the D3 even it the slightest. One of the tracks had several quite pronounced drainage ditches/mounds which tested out the ramp over angle and articulation, both of which proved to be extremely good. And way better than I would have thought for a fully indepenant suspension vehicle.

I also found the low gearing and general traction of the D3 to be very good, with the supple suspension helping to keep wheels well planted on rough rocky sections. The other welcome suprise was the fact that HDC actually works and is now a worthwile feature, (it was a complete joke in the D2). The good low gearing means that most of the time its not required as 1st low is slow enough most of the time.

The only thing I didnt like and are not quite sure about was on a couple of hill climbs (TR set to rock crawl) my car really bogged down and almost came to a complete stop before dropping a gear and responding to the throttle. It may be that I had it in too higher gear and inadvertantly in command shift, which may explain it but Im pretty sure it was in auto as on one occassion I recall knocking it into command shift and downshifting it manually to get it too down shift & respond. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. Next time I will pay closed attention to what mode both auto & TR are in.
 2010 White D4 TDV6 3.0l SE, Rear Diff Lock.  
Post #14339927th Mar 2007 12:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >