Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Melb D3 owners Day Trip REPORT & PICS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Horto,

Good to see you find the D3 is an improvement over your modded D2.

As for being in the right gear in the Auto I always use Command Shift when in Low Range. This is all in Low Range - Basically I select 3rd for going up most hills and just push the go pedal - the torque converter does the rest. It never bogs down. If the hill is not so steep then I push it up a cog to 4th to drop revs and use torque to motor along and use 5th if it is flat and I need to leave it in Low Range. I use 2nd or 1st for downhills and very little brakes unless I need to ease the wheels over obstacles like rocks. Sometimes you need to almost stop to get the auto to select 1st. I use HDC only on very tricky steep loose downhill surfaces when I feel the HDC will do a better job than me. I have found 1st Low is very very good in most conditions.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #14340827th Mar 2007 12:43 pm
300+

When it bogged down did you have DSC enabled? I find that it stops play really early when off road and sap all power and momentum. Turn it off and it charges up the hill exactly as it should.

Cheers, Steve

Post #14341227th Mar 2007 12:59 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

300+ wrote:
When it bogged down did you have DSC enabled? I find that it stops play really early when off road and sap all power and momentum. Turn it off and it charges up the hill exactly as it should.

Cheers, Steve

Yeh, I forgot to mention I turn DSC off always when on the dirt. It doesn't completely stop traction control kicking in but reduces it interfering.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #14342027th Mar 2007 1:17 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Looks like you all had a fantastic time! Very Happy

Makes me jealous! Big Cry I've got no other D3's to play with! Big Cry (The others around here don't go off road much!)
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #14345527th Mar 2007 2:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Horto22

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I didnt try having dsc switched off but this would seam odd that this should need to be turned off. When the bogging occurred it was not related to wheel spin or traction control kicking in, motor/auto just failed to respond to throttle, resluting in revs dropping way too low. Maybe I was ussing a incorrect TR mode (rock crawl) I suspect this would desensitise throttle response to prevent sudden applications due to vehicle bucking and bouncing around over rocks. It may also not expect full throttle requests as rock ledges would normally be tackled slowly with smooth throttle applications. Just guessing.

What TR mode do others find best for typical rocky high country tracks?
 2010 White D4 TDV6 3.0l SE, Rear Diff Lock.  
Post #14361327th Mar 2007 11:19 pm
300+

Hi, this is precisely what DSC does for me. It bogs down for no apparent reason and behaves as if you have lost all power.

The TR modes is use are:

GGS - traction control allows little wheel spin.

Sand - traction control allows a lot of wheel spin

Rock - slow going on rock.

I've never been in axle deep mud (SE Qld) so I don't see any benefit in the mud setting.

Typically I am in GGS for most off roading, but I've never got stuck because I was in the wrong mode.

Steve

Post #14361827th Mar 2007 11:29 pm
Jamo

Australia 

It's possible, Horto, that rock crawl was not appropriate, but I don't think it should result in stalling.

DSC basically senses sideways slip and brakes wheels accordningly, hence it's uselessness on soft sand where momentum is needed.

I've actually found mud and ruts good on loosish or wetish tracks as it retards throttle, but not as much as ggs.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #14362628th Mar 2007 1:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The most unusual thing I notice is that some modes automatically select HDC, and so as soon as I get off the throttle, on a slight downhill, the HDC tries to take-over, and I need to trun it off (not even realising it is on...) - is this common.

SKP - I had hoped to catch you on the trip, as I know you're interested din the rear wheel carrier I have; I was also hoping to show off the radiator guard I sourced, it being too expensive to get the Mantec unit to Australia. Ah well - next trip - will have to try and get another going before June when tracks start to close for the winter...

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #14362728th Mar 2007 1:07 am
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Chris, thanks for going to so much trouble in organizing Sundays trip, Bow down Bow down Bow down It was a long day but most enjoyable. Thumbs Up
I was amazed at how capable the D3 is at climbing steep, loose rock tracks. Any other 4WD would have had rocks shooting out in all directions, not the D3, no scrabbling at all, even on the steepest climbs. Puts any other 4WD I have driven in the last 43 years in the prehistoric bin.
Simon, I looked for you in Buxton, but as it was after 6pm when I went through, I suppose that you were long gone. Perhaps another trip soon?
Steven P Zambezi Silver

Post #14363828th Mar 2007 5:17 am
simon_arch1

Isn't it just an amazing vehicle! At the LROCV 4wd SHow last month - we were driving the test track, and crusing up tracks that the highly modified lifted etce etc trucks were having to have several goes at!

We love it!!!

And yes - next time! We waited at Buxton till about 5:15pm, but then had to head home.

cheers.

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #14364228th Mar 2007 6:07 am
rsp

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Chris and the team

Great day and, now I have found all of the photos, great pics too! The D3 traffic jam is a bit of a winner!

It was handy to see what others had fitted to their D3s and to hear about Stefan's (almost) incident free trip down the CSR as an article in either 4X4 or 4WD Monthly has an article on a D3 crossing the Simpson where it got stuck at the top of a dune and the verdict was that the D3 could not hack it!

The Donald Tk, I found better the second time around, particularly as this time I did not remove a rear mud-flap and scratch an alloy! A challenging track with fantastic views.

As regards the discussion on tips and techniques. I usually do as Chris does and use command shift for off-road. Sunday was the first time I had HDC on as usually I find it a real pain, although after its initial muscling-in exercise, it eases off a bit but then comes back on. I did find HDC handy when I had selected the wrong gear going down hill and was going too fast. Rather than stomping on the brake, I put HDC on.

I have found 2nd useful for climbing something really steep slopes, otherwise 3rd seems fine. I have not found that I have got bogged when using DSC, although came close on Sunday when climbing over a rock. I will try switching the DSC off and see what the difference is. As alraedy stated, the D3's ability in the steep loose stuff is quite amazing compared to how lesser trucks would perform!

Like Chris, I use 1st when descending steep tracks and find that I very rarely need to use the brakes as a result.

Here's to the next trip!
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #14367528th Mar 2007 10:19 am
Bigtoe

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Thanks Chris for organising a great day out.

It was also a long day for us but the family seemed to cope OK, apart from the spewing child!!!

It was great to meet everyone and talk 4by's... ah his favourite topic (Meg).

Saw some great country that we hadn't seen before.... may inspire us to see some more (well me anyway!)..

Thanks again everyone for the great atmosphere... look forward to doing it again soon.

Stef

Post #14473931st Mar 2007 1:27 pm
simon_arch1

Horto - I experienced that same "bogging down" of the engine on the weekend... we were just camping and on some gravel tracks in Lerederderg State Park on the weekend, nothing serious, but using the "sand and gravel" setting on TRS... and on a couple of occasions, the car just didn';t want to move - when I fully depressed the throttle, it picked up, but it was really weird...

cheers,

Simon
Post #1452563rd Apr 2007 1:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >