Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Melb D3 owners Day Trip REPORT & PICS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Melb D3 owners Day Trip REPORT & PICS

I have noticed quite a few Aussie D3 owners located around Melbourne.

Are any of you interested in a 4WDing Sunday day trip when the weather is not too hot (i.e. lower bush fire risk)?

Ideal location say up to 1.5 hrs from Melbourne which might interest others. Areas like Walhalla, Marysville, Big River all have a range of tracks. I personally prefer mountain areas.

Let me know your thoughts and preferences if interested.

Chris[/b]
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Last edited by PCH on 27th Mar 2007 12:53 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #1279056th Feb 2007 11:40 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

hi Chris,

Day trip sounds great! Dont mind the woods point hotel for lunch, via walhalla and aberfeldy?

(I'm right anytime other than 29 March-8 April, will be touring Tassy)
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #1279186th Feb 2007 12:25 pm
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Chris - after mid -April - we'll be in - busy moving house etc before then, but things should be settled then.

Mountains are good for us! Looking a bit further afield than 1.5 hours - the Mt Terrible area from Big River is a good drive - but would make for a long day; as would Walhalla. But keep makiing suggestions.

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #1279226th Feb 2007 12:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
White Disco

Australia 

Depending on work. I'm in.
Cheers,
David.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #1279816th Feb 2007 3:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Thank guys for the feedback.

I was thinking March timeframe if the weather is not extreme. April might be occupied with Easter activities for some. However we can always organise a further trip if this one works out well and everyone is comfortable with each other.

I did Mt Terrible/Big River/Enoch Pt last year with another D3 owner. We got pushed for time and cut and run from Enoch Pt out to Eildon to save some time rather than coming back through Big River and then Cumberland Junction. The tracks in there are great and the D3 does them pretty easily. The loop I plotted was a bit to big to do in a day trip. We started off coming in from Eildon and then down to Big River for lunch and then up to Mt Terrible and then down to Enoch point. Then back out via Eildon The area will be much different now after the bush fires over Christmas/New Year but well worth a visit to see the difference.

Alternatively we could do the tracks around Walhalla which are fine for the D3 but some are very rough. The views are not as good as Mt Terrible unless you go up to Mt Matlock and down around Wood Point which is getting a bit far for the day however the pub at Walhalla probably needs some tourist dollars after the recent bush fires.

I'll put together a possible route and post it for comment and suggestion.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1281987th Feb 2007 4:43 am
White Disco

Australia 

The owner of the Star Hotel in Walhalla, Mike Leaney, is a D2 owner. Exclamation
Pub up road is much cheaper. Wink
Cheers,
David.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #1282007th Feb 2007 4:59 am
White Disco

Australia 

All March good with Me. Except Labour Day weekend. 10/11 & 12th.
Labour Day weekend will be frantic round Big River. Big River road is like Bourke st. (pre Mall). Went camping there 4 years ago (back in the dark, dark ages when I drove a Censored Natrol), at Stockmans Reward, lucky I got ther on Wed afternoon prior to set up camp. It was packed. Even some tracks, within the camp ground had tents set up on them. A lot of unregistered motorbikes with unexperienced or gaumless fools at the controls as well.
Cheers,
David.

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #1282037th Feb 2007 5:23 am
TDMP

25 March is the only good day for me that month (but if it does not suit I will certainly catch up next time).

Chris, I will be happy with any route you choose. Mt Terrible fine by me - means I get to come over via Warburton & Mt Donna Buang Mr. Green, then perhaps home via Walhalla/Erica anyway Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green (I spent a bit of time fighting fies around Walhala recently - at least we know the Aberfeldy road has been recently maintained Shocked Shocked Shocked)
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #1282097th Feb 2007 7:53 am
simon_arch1

I beleive Mt Terrible was mostly burnt out too - so the views from the hut will will be clear Neutral

Did the hut survive?

Last weekend of March - 31 March could work for us - or the one before at a pinch - basically, the later the better - but again - as you say - miss this one, get the next...

Thanks Chris.

cheers
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #1282237th Feb 2007 9:35 am
PCH

Hi guys.

How about setting the 25th March 07 for the day trip. Hopefully Simon you can make it. IT would be nice to see the Mickey T's in action.

Lets say we do Mt Terrible and the surrounding area. Therefore we should meet at Healsville say at 8.45am with a departure time of 9.00am. If TDMP and REDDISCO are coming via Warburton / Archeron Way we could meet you out at Buxton on the way through.

Let me know your thoughts on the date, meeting time and area.

Since we don't know each other's likes/dislike for tracks please tell me what you don't want to do (as in rock sliding). I'll do any track if it leads to where I want to go but if it is too risky and could result in panel damage then I'll have second thoughts if I need to do it. If there is a bog hole that is deep and likely to get stuck in and also has a way around it then I'll take a chicken route.

Thanks,

Chris

Post #1284988th Feb 2007 5:38 am
simon_arch1

sounds good Chris - like a plan...

in the Disco 2 - anything went... Now - in fact - the D3 is the wife's (Carly) main fomr of transport in her busy sales executive life - so panel damage and anything leading to a week or 2 at the Disco repair shop is out - that being said we like a challenge - so steep, rocky, rutted is all good - but getting mud leaking in from being stuck in a bog hole is now out; as are narrow scratchy tracks Neutral

cheers,

Simon
Post #1285128th Feb 2007 8:26 am
TDMP

Sounds great Chris – 25th March is in the calendar.

Re: tracks:- sounds like there may be consensus - plenty of fun, not too much body/paint work damage.

What’s the etiquette re: the fam?? I’ve never been on a 4wd trip with a club other such, so not sure if the hugs’n’kisses (1 of) and tin lids (2 of) are an option? Since I work long hours, I always try to include them in most of my free time - but if you guys aren't bringing yours I wont bring mine.

If they are coming, I will probably make a weekend of it and spend Saturday at a Yarra Valley winery or two, and the night in the Narbethong pub.
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #1285208th Feb 2007 9:00 am
simon_arch1

Tristan - you sound like you live in the same house... ie. so little time with family, we do try and do most of these trips toegther - in fact, I'm rarely allowed out on my own. Since birth just about, the kids have enjoyed the trips, and often do mor ein car sleeping when bumping along mountain tracks than on the highway...

So - if it's OK - I'll be bringing my wife and boys (4 and 6) along. That weekend, it'll probably only be those 2 - another time it'd include 1-3 of my older kids - the oldest of which (16 yr old boy) loves comping out - so might be abel to get him that day as well.

cheers,

Simon
Post #1285298th Feb 2007 9:17 am
TDMP

simon_arch1 wrote:
in fact, I'm rarely allowed out on my own

Embarassed actually, thats what I meant....

Excellent – a family trip (and a driver to do the leg from Neerim Sth pub to home Very Happy )
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #1285318th Feb 2007 9:24 am
PCH

Hi Guys,

Sorry I didn't clarify about a boys day out. Bring who ever you like wife, mistress, kids the neighbour's kids etc... Not sure about woof woof's if its a NP.

I am like you guys. I'd not be allowed to go unless it was a family day out. My missus (Finance Manager) and son will be along. The little one loves 4WD'ing so he can kick stones and dirt and throw rocks in the rivers Mad .

I hope there will be another couple of mates of mine in their D3's coming along.

Chris

Post #1285588th Feb 2007 10:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >