Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Metalised vs Non-Metalised Window Tint
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Baggy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Stevo,
You've confirmed what the Solace guy told me regarding the dye's in non-metalized tint - I wasn't sure if he was giving me a sales spiel or not.

Like Ian, I enjoy my AM as well. There's another thread about poor reception form the D3 radios generally - so would the metalized film just exacerbate the issue??

Vic.
 '11 TDV6 - Stornoway Grey.... still lovin' it!!

REDUCE GREENHOUSE GASSES.......Eat more BEEF!!
Addendum: Red wine goes REALLY well with BEEF 

Post #679334th Jul 2006 1:21 pm
stevo

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

from what i understand about the D3 the antena is in the glass, so the tint would acually be behind the antena so it should pose no threat to the signal as it is not sheilding anything.
 Disco 4 Sept 09  
Post #680634th Jul 2006 9:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

stevo
i started the other thread on radio reception
you're in sydney have you noticed poor reception problems?
maybe film will improve reception?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #681354th Jul 2006 11:48 pm
catweasel

stevo unsure from your pics but do you have any tint on your windows

Post #6997212th Jul 2006 4:55 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Stevo, the aerial is on the glass, not in it, high spec vehicles (in UK at least) have a diversity system which also utilises the heated rear screen.
If a metallised film is applied over the aerial, it's possible that it will attenuate the signal

Post #6998712th Jul 2006 6:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stevo

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Yes , we had a metalized tint applied onto ours and we have had no probs
 Disco 4 Sept 09  
Post #7006612th Jul 2006 11:53 pm
Baggy

A Solution??? Carbon-Based Films???

I receieved a call from my LR dealer today trying to sell paint, leather treatment and window tinting prior to vehicle delivery. Curiously, the window tint they use is "carbon-based" and they confirmed it would not interfer with radio, GPS,etc...
After searching the web, I found this article which discusses carbon-based tinting from 3M:-

http://www.brightideas.com.au/?e=396&p=3m

A quote from the article:-
"A common problem with ordinary window tinting is the tiny metallic particles in the film which are supposed to reflect light and heat but they also reflect radio and GPS signals, creating interference – especially with a window aerial.
With the unique 3M Carbon based window film technology there’s no metal in the mix to muck up your signals."

Perhaps this is a solution.

Cheers, Vic

Post #7015713th Jul 2006 1:55 pm
irobbie

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Baggy; Catweasel

I've booked in to have my tint done on Wednesday. I'm going ahead with the non-metalised stuff. It's called "Shadow" and, like 3M, is a carbon based film technology. I'm also getting paint protection, leather protection and vinyl/carpet protection. The whole package (app$770) costs about the same as the dealer's price for just tinting Shocked Shocked

Of course that could mean that it's cheap and nasty, but it's supposed to come with a "lifetime" guarantee. Like I said in a previous post, if it's no good it won't break the bank if I have to replace it. But I suspect it will last as long as I have the car.

I'll post a follow-up once it's done.

Ian Mr. Green
 2006 Disco 3 TDV6 SE HiIce White/Alpaca ARB Bullbar  
Post #7081317th Jul 2006 8:59 am
catweasel

charge up your camera battery, I expect some pics Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #7081517th Jul 2006 9:06 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

yes a better deal than dealer
when i bought mine i was asked if i wanted fries with it for an exhorbitant price! madame botox was very peristant and i had to say no on five approaches from her.
aftermarket is abetter deal
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #7081617th Jul 2006 9:09 am
catweasel

irobbie how did u get on with your tinting and other protection

Post #7177420th Jul 2006 3:37 pm
Baggy

Ian - Sounds like a great deal!
I was quoted $295 in Sydney for the 3M carbon-based film (dealer wanted twice that)....will be getting it installed next week.

Good luck with the paint/interior protection....do you know what product they will be using?

Vic.

Post #7231523rd Jul 2006 5:01 am
irobbie

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Catweasel; Baggy

Had the tint done last Wednesday, also the interior protection pack applied. Looks good with the tint. The upholstery and plastic/vinyl surfaces are now a little slippery to touch but I expect that will return to a more natural state in time.

As to the paint protection, it didn't get done - the proprietor found my car had a considerable coating of industrial fall-out which was quite a shock to me. But not only that, he also found there were a number of paint defects which he pointed out. Big Cry

Since then I have gone back to the dealer and to a couple of other people who had the car in their care for things like Bullbar and Caravan Brake Controller and nobody seemed to have any idea how the fall-out may have occurred!!Shocked Shocked

So for the last 4 days I've been carefully working over every darned inch of the horizontal surfaces of the car with detailers clay and finally today concluded that I had done the job to perfection. Now there's absolutely no sign of the fall-out and the paint surface has regained a lovely soft feel - almost like glass to touch. Smile

The good side of this is that I know the paint on the horizontal surfaces like the back of my hand. The bad side is that I've uncovered far more fish-eyes and nibs than I expected. Big Cry Big Cry Have taken lots of photos and talked to the dealer so things are underway in that department. Won't go any deeper in that direction for the moment, will fill you in later when a result is known. But I do wonder if others have found the same problem, especially with cars built on, or after, the 20th March 06.

In the meantime I've posted one photo of the car in my gallery. By the way, AM radio reeception is just as good as it was before the tint was appllied.

Baggy, the products used on the car, as far as I can tell, are SunGuard's own. The paint protection product boasts protection from Road Grime, Oxidisation, Calcium Deposits, UV Rays, Tree Sap, Acid Rain (and from that I assume some protection from bird poo) and Bugs. The interior product boasts protection against Milk and Coffee drinks, Beer, Wine and Soft Drinks, Grease and Food, Perspiration and Excessive Wear. Cost for the tinting was about the same as you have been quoted.

Ian.
 2006 Disco 3 TDV6 SE HiIce White/Alpaca ARB Bullbar  
Post #7254424th Jul 2006 9:39 am
Baggy

irobbie....sorry to hear about your paint work - mine's a may'06 build, will check it closer when I get it back. Good luck getting it sorted out.

Post #7263424th Jul 2006 12:29 pm
catweasel

Ian are there any gaps in the tint at the edges and when you wind down the windows is there a gap at the top

Post #7267124th Jul 2006 1:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >