Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Photos, Videos & Media

Are you the middle lane hogger ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
SN

J77 wrote:
Should be easy to tell who it is with any exhaust protruding like that.

and plod helpfully letting us know the last three letters of their plate are YZL Whistle
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #17032289th Sep 2016 12:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Popelka

Czech Republic 

so say we have middle lane hoggers and other cars are over taking in the outside lane and I join and stay in lane 1 and there's no cars in this lane but I'm at the legal limit which is actually faster than those in the middle lane.

do I have to pull over into the overtaking lane and back to my original lane or can I stay in lane 1 and continue driving or is this considered undertaking ??

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #17034729th Sep 2016 2:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sloss

Scotland 

UK Laws are not fully clear on this 'undertaking' aspect.

It seems that you can pass on the 'inside' when all lanes are busy and yours is going faster. This keeps things flowing.

Lets now say you were undertaking on a fairly empty road and the Middle Lane Hogger suddenly decided to move in and you crashed.

In your defence you would say that you passed on the inside as the middle lane hogger had been there for a long time with no obvious intent to move in and anyway he should have checked before changing lanes etc., etc.

Anyone know of any prosecutions for 'undertaking'?
 Stew,

2010 D4 gone but I really loved it
Went back to Merc - C350 AMG 

Post #17034749th Sep 2016 2:51 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

It's a little confusing in the UK because technically you should never overtake on the left... however, rule 268 of the highway code suggests a situation when it is okay to overtake on the left, i.e.. when it's congested. However, we haven't defined what congested means or if there's a maximum speed at which this move is unacceptable or considered dangerous. This rule also states we shouldn't weave in and out of lanes to overtake - so is it safer to stay where you are?

When approaching a middle lane ar*eh*le on an empty motorway, I've often wondered what would happen if I claimed he suddenly braked as I was approaching in lane 1?

highway code wrote:
Rule 268
Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

EDIT: sorry Sloss... i was typing much the same thing at the same time! Embarassed
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #17034839th Sep 2016 3:00 pm
1967jester

Location: Usually in the North East though I have been known to travel

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Double the points & treble the fine, 3 strikes & take the vehicle should get the message across.

Caravans doing 70+ is another pet hate but I won't start on that
 Paul.

06 Java Black HSE - gone
12 Baltic Blue HSE - gone
15 Fuji HSE Lux
Club Biscuits, mmmm nice!
Traxide/Luna hybrid & Yellow top
Some Prospeed bits
+ some other stuff
Club N.E.R.D.s. 

Post #17034999th Sep 2016 3:40 pm
Washwipe

England 

Gareth wrote:
How about restrict lane one to trucks only. If your truck can't do 56mph, then not allowed on motorway at busiest times.

Lanes 2 and 3 (4) cars only.

They are already limited to 56mph, so you will get one long congested line of trucks in Lane 1, all well and good till you get to a junction with drivers in lane 2 and 3 want to get off, usually at the last second.

As you said, you don't know the answer, difficult one, this I think where the managed motorways come in and limit everyone to the same speed.

Post #17035379th Sep 2016 5:15 pm
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Also here in Italy plenty of middle lane joggers.....

Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #17037659th Sep 2016 11:09 pm
G7jtk

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

No but why should I move aside to allow someone to break the law if I am traveling at the legal speed limit?

Post #170379510th Sep 2016 12:09 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Because if you remain in the middle when the inside is clear, you are breaking the law too!

(and just as seriously in many people view!)
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #170380510th Sep 2016 12:34 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Do you have an accurate GPS speedo? Just asking, as most speedos under read by quite a margin. An indicated 70mph, could in reality be a true speed of 67mph.

I do use a GPS device as a speedo and find it frustrating when I get stuck behind a vehicle who refuses to move over when all I want to do is the legal posted speed limit.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #170380610th Sep 2016 12:37 am
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

www.idiotukdriversexposed.com

Post #170862820th Sep 2016 1:36 pm
SN

LT wrote:
Do you have an accurate GPS speedo? Just asking, as most speedos under read by quite a margin. An indicated 70mph, could in reality be a true speed of 67mph.

I do use a GPS device as a speedo and find it frustrating when I get stuck behind a vehicle who refuses to move over when all I want to do is the legal posted speed limit.

Fortunately for me my Sat Nav permanently displays the GPS speed - I drive to that (+2-3mph) everywhere - 9 months of driving every week thru the M60 SmartStupid roadworks at a speedo indicated 57mph and no NIP's arrived (fingers bl**dy crossed here) yet! Thumbs Up
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #170879720th Sep 2016 9:13 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

LT wrote:

My D3 is spot on. Thumbs Up However the D4 is 5% over reading so to sit at 60mph (esp on the averaging cameras on the A9) I dial up 63mph. All checked with the GPS speedo app or tomtom on the idog&bone.

Post #170880220th Sep 2016 9:18 pm
Svenb

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The only time you can undertake is in traffic, when the outside lanes are blocked with other cars and your lane is moving faster. If you're in lane 1 and someone is in lane 2 you have pull out to lane 3 to overtake.

I get REALLY Censored off by people sitting in the overtaking lane doing the limit. If I'm gonna go over the limit then it has f*** all to do with you pal, and excess speeds of 70mph are NOT dangerous (within reason of course) and are proven not to be. What IS dangerous is congestion, and that's exactly what sitting in the middle lane creates. YOU are the one endangering lives, so get off your high horse and get into lane 1 you irritating old goat!

If you don't like the rules, or are too lazy to change lanes every time you come up to a truck, then get the f***off the roads!

You wouldn't ignore a traffic light cos you can't be bothered to change gear would you?

Post #171151126th Sep 2016 11:32 pm
AVE
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

63 Del! That's motoring Laughing
 As you slide down the banister of life
may no splinters point your way

Disco XXV
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY16
Discovery Sport HSE Lux MY17

Evoque HSE Dynamic MY16 (Gone)
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY14 (Lovely car but preferred the Disco!)
Disco 3 Tdv6 HSE MY05 (owned for 11 years and now gone)
Range Rover Sport HSE MY11 (Gone)
Freelander2 SE (Gone but the most reliable car we've ever owned)
Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #171151526th Sep 2016 11:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >