DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Milenco noseweight gauge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
al cope

England 
Milenco noseweight gauge

Guys

I have a milenco noseweight gauge to check the caravan’s noseweight, had it quite a while, as used to stick the jockey wheel on the bathroom scales.

We have recently changed our ‘van and when I checked the new noseweight after moving all our contents over, it was showing only 50kg, which seemed a bit light. Even with our big awning upfront the gauge was only showing 80kg.

So when getting the ‘van out of storage today I thought I’d check again. The gauge showed 80kg, the bathroom scales showed 110kg. Now I know I failed my physics “O” level 50 years ago, but I thought the “weight” would have been higher at the hitch, this being further out than the jockey wheel, giving more “leverage”, or have I got that the wrong way round.

Every T/A van we have had has run at about 100kg noseweight, this Coachman T/A seems to be a bit light, given it’s the same layout as our previous Elddis.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #236427513th Mar 2024 7:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I think that is the wrong way round.
My reasoning is that if you extended the drawbar a sufficient, and unrealistic amount, you would be able to lift it with one finger, As in "give me a lever long enough and a place to rest it and I could move the world."

Edit this is actually the opposite of your case but the principle of a long lever and my reasoning remains true.

The force you need to apply to lift the drawbar is equal to the force it applies downwards on the towball.

Post #236428913th Mar 2024 11:56 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

I agree, my metaphor is to think of a pair of nutcrackers. The force is greater further towards the hinge point (pivot point) not the handle end.

I think TA vans also measure nose ball weight a bit inconsistently as they don't truly pivot on a centre axle. When I had a TA van I also found that around 98kg measured via Milenco gauge (whatever it actually was in reality) gave the best towing experience. It's amazing how little you need to adjust load to impact it, whilst still trying to avoid see-saw effect.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #236431614th Mar 2024 12:48 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I think what you're getting at Al, is that you measured the 'nose weight' with bathroom scales on the jockey wheel, but at the hitch with the nose Milenco.
Yes, the load at the jockey wheel would show more than the at hitch. But whether it would be 30kg different I can't say.
Bare in mind, neither the Milenco or the bathroom scales are are calibrated instruments.

Twin axles make a nose weight more difficult to measure, because the height of the hitch from the ground will also have an effect on the load. You really need to measure it at the towing height, on a flat surface. If your Milenco shows 80-100kg at towing height, that would be a good start.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #236431714th Mar 2024 1:55 pm
al cope

England 

Ok, looks like I had my theory the wrong way round. Embarassed

Anyway, looks like this Coachman (Acadia 660 extra) with all our stuff in, seems to be 50/55kg noseweight using the milenco. A bit lighter than any of our previous ‘vans so will see what our next outing tows like.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #236432014th Mar 2024 3:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
faulksy

Wales 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

how did your first outing go ?
i towed our tin tent the other day for the first time ever, nose weight with my calibrated milenco was 95kg. dont know if thats good or bad. i know its in spec
 had a d1 ,d2 a land mark d4 for 3 days now have awsome d4 in orkney grey hse sdv6 my12  
Post #236642212th Apr 2024 9:42 am
James W

United Kingdom 

95-100kg worked well for me and from what I have red, many others too

FWIW, my D4 was always more sensitive to having a good nose weight and I could feel slight differences in it. With the FFRR I rarely felt any effect of the caravan on the rear whatsoever, it was an incredible tow vehicle
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy

Post #236642512th Apr 2024 9:52 am
al cope

England 

At 60 kg on the outbound run it felt slightly twitchy, so on the run home I left the front water tank full and this picked the noseweight up to 75kg, and it felt more settled, so this is how I’ll run with it next time out.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #236643012th Apr 2024 11:11 am
qcnr

Norway 

When was the last time either were calibrated? Don't forget there could also be variance in the devices used for the measurements.
My motorbike speedo shows 60Km/hr my GPS shows 55....

Post #236644212th Apr 2024 12:11 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

I'm adamant my bathroom scales over-read by about 3 stone Laughing

Post #236644312th Apr 2024 12:20 pm
al cope

England 

You must have brought the same scales as we have Rolling with laughter Whistle

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #236645312th Apr 2024 1:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >