Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Minor judder/vibration felt through floor when accelerating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Danno

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Minor judder/vibration felt through floor when accelerating

I have a Disco 3, 2005, 2.7 TDV6 Auto at 109k miles.

When accelerating between 2nd and 3rd I get a minor judder/vibration and again in top gear if accelerating hard. The judder/vibration can be felt through the front and rear seats and floor. There is no metalic grinding noise, just the vibration through the floor.

It has been going on for nearly two years and is only minor, for three seconds at most and does not happen all of the time.

The car had a transmission fluid change last year (2018) along with a new filter.

This year the car has had new lower wish bones all round and track rod end kit left and righ meaning it has also required tracking. The tyres are good, no flat spots and balancing of wheels also good.

The mechanic that replaced the lower control arms also experienced the juddering on a test drive and advised it could be to do with the rear prop-shaft, bearing or coupling damper, I'm not sure.

Now, I have been searching the net and their is plenty of information around the torque converter. I have ordered Dr Tranny as I though it won't hurt and at least if it works I can rule out work of the prop.

My question is, where am I best to insert the oil via the filler on the transmission housing or via the transmission oil cooler under the hood? Different people seem to have different ideas on which is best.

Thanks in advance.

Post #20909759th Oct 2019 4:58 pm
Batfink

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mine did this a couple of times. Turned out to be sticking brake pads so worth have a look at them first. The calipers are also known for the sliding pins to sieze so worth servicing also.
 2006 TdV6 HSE.  
Post #20909889th Oct 2019 5:40 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Beware of using dr tranny it works very well but the way it works will cause your gearbox to fail in the end.
I would try a gearbox flush first and only use dr tranny if it doesnt work.

Post #20910169th Oct 2019 7:22 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sounds suspiciously like a tired old torque converter to me. If it's the main converter bearing it will vibrate out of balance when pushed through high torque moments. I had exactly the same on my 130,000 mile 2005 D3. Took it to Bristol Transmission who diagnosed it as that - a broken bearing. Fortunately I caught it early enough, so the broken bits didn't make their way to the gearbox and damage that. Just a new converter fitted with a years warranty and drives like new again.

Bristol Transmission will take it for a test drive and try to diagnose for free. They are reliable and do a lot of fleet work (there were Highways Agency cars there when I went). Well worth getting that tested, if it is the converter you need to catch it before it damages the 'box.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #20910449th Oct 2019 8:46 pm
Danno

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Batfink wrote:
Mine did this a couple of times. Turned out to be sticking brake pads so worth have a look at them first. The calipers are also known for the sliding pins to sieze so worth servicing also.

Thanks for the heads-up. Front brake pads were replaced this year, sliding pins on the front are free and I don't feel any vibration through the steering so confident the front brakes are not the problem. I haven't changed the rear pads however the vibration happens going up hill whereas if it was the rear brakes I would think it would happen on the flat and/or going down hill or going round bends. I have not noticed any smell associated with overheating of pads, smoking or heat in the hub of the EPB or brake disk. I will double check though just to make sure. I would settle for that over an issue with the transmission.

Post #20910669th Oct 2019 9:46 pm
Danno

Thanks all for the replies.

I have decided I am going to check the condition of the centre bearing of the rear propshaft first, a new bearing is £30-£40 so depending on condition I may change that out first. I think on hindsight that would be better than playing with the transmission.

I have not had a problem whilst towing the caravan and a fully loaded car on the flat, it seems intermittent on hills. I am really hoping it is the bearing. Wish I had not searched on the net now.

It is like searching for symptoms on Dr. Google.... it always looks terminal when you just have a cold Laughing

Cheers, Dan.

Post #20910769th Oct 2019 9:58 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Heads up. It’s not an easy task doing the centre bearing. Most go for a new prop.
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #20910949th Oct 2019 10:59 pm
Mike_A4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It's not all doom and gloom.

Mine has gradually started to shudder uphill in 3rd (auto box) and was awful when towing a loaded trailer and my new regular mechanic was suggesting the major TC route. However, recently retired regular mechanic suggested that I go under the D3 and see if I could provoke any play in the prop bearing by trying to push the prop upwards. I tried - and I could. So I asked new guy to change the bearing. He was very sceptical - but it did cure it! £75 for the bits and I have an arrangement with him about his labour charges... but an awful lot better than having major bits of gearbox extracted.

So give it a try - get under it, is there any movement in the prop at the bearing?

Incidentally, he noticed that this job had been done before. Should this become necessary again, a combined prop and bearing may be in order.

Post #210162524th Nov 2019 1:41 pm
Mike_A4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

OK, so it was all doom and gloom.

There was no mechanical play in the driveline and the change of transmission fluid made no difference, the judder in 3rd was still there. And then the revs started to fluctuate. Yes, classic gearbox / torque converter failure time.

I rang around and was getting combined rebuild costs of over £3,000 with fitting, and I’d more or less decided to do this rather than sell and buy another with (potentially) the same issue when a friend suggested I try the independent LR workshop in Bury St Edmunds. They suggested power flushing the transmission. I suggested this was merely snake oil, but they assured me they’d had nothing but good results; in fact they promised that if it didn’t work, they’d knock the labour cost of the flush (£300) off any subsequent rebuild bill. Very little to lose by trying, then.

It’s just been done, £437 in total (there’s 11 litres of fluid in the ZF box, it’s £11/litre). OK, it’s early days – but OMG. It’s never been this well behaved, and I’ve had it for 30,000 miles. Even if it only gets me another year, it’s worth it.

But the other OMG moment was when the mechanic gave me some facts.

1. ZF are very displeased with Land Rover for trashing the reputation of their gearboxes. Why?
2. LR state that the fluid in the box should be changed every 150,000 miles (mine's at 134,000).
3. The fluid manufacturers state the fluid should be changed every 120,000 miles.
4. ZF state the transmission should be flushed every 80,000 miles.
5. Merely changing the fluid (as I did six weeks ago) only actually changes about 40% of the actual content; it’s a pointless effort.

To demonstrate point 5, he showed me a sample of my six week-old fluid. New fluid looks like a urine sample. My fluid was dark treacle, simply because it had been mixed with the remaining 60% of the 133,000 mile-old fluid.

Happy bunny this morning. OK, I now have £437 on my Visa card that wasn’t there yesterday, but it’s better than the thick end of £4,000 or a D3 worth very, very little. The real test will be in a couple of weeks when I load 3.2T of road plannings into the trailer and tow it 20 miles (I have a driveway that's very unfinished) – that’ll show me how good it is. Pinkies crossed…

Post #211509623rd Jan 2020 1:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >