DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Mis-Fuelling
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
disco3kenny

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

10 whats your advice !!

Recap:
SWMBO Put 2 litres of petrol in Diesel tank by mistake.....

Tank 1/4 full of diesel ---then 2 litres of petrol----then brimmed up to Max with more diesel !!

No loss of Power or performence car drives perfect...Exhaust fumes clear...no misfires...no strange noises...just Perfect!!

Phoned the AA for Advice...they say UNDER 5 Litres of Petrol on Misfuell will be ok..if all ready DIESEL already in tank!
Asked them i if iam still covered for Possible fuel related problems...YES was the answer!!

Any advice would be welcome Bow down Bow down

Post #32575625th Jul 2008 5:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I work with diesel engines for a job ..and all though there is not any thing fancy about them ( no fuel injection etc ) i have seen water / chemicals / petrol put in the fuel tank on many occasions by mistake.

I would say 2 litres of petrol in an 80 litre tank would be ok ...

If it was mine i would not be worried in the slightest
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #32576525th Jul 2008 6:26 pm
disco3kenny

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Big thanks Wiggs.....peace of mind on a friday night!!! Bow down

Post #32579525th Jul 2008 7:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Bodsy wrote:
I remember when my dad used to put about a litre or so of petrol in his diesel over winter

I was talking to a very ancient and long retired ex lorry driver the other day. He told me that, in his early days, lorry drivers used to light fires under the diesel fuel lines to unfreeze them in the winter! He also said that they used to run the engines low on coolant to try and generate a bit more engine heat in the unheated cabs!

Post #32585725th Jul 2008 10:09 pm
ramones

Finland 

wiggs wrote:
I work with diesel engines for a job ..and all though there is not any thing fancy about them ( no fuel injection etc ) i have seen water / chemicals / petrol put in the fuel tank on many occasions by mistake.

I would say 2 litres of petrol in an 80 litre tank would be ok ...

If it was mine i would not be worried in the slightest

i've put 7L of petrol into my alfa 147 and then over it diesel till full (around 50, 55L tank holds) i also put some thing to greasen everything a bit inside and it was okay. the smoke was there for few kilomitres but no problem.

but then again, i've found out a company that produces protection for this, so if anyone is interested feel free to take a look. looks simple -> www.solodiesel.eu

Post #35196630th Sep 2008 7:53 am
j,moore

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Atacama SandDiscovery 3

hi, i agree with the positive comments,, dont worry about it, some of my customers have done a lot worse and got away with it. i cant believe how much companies charge to correct a miss fueled car especially when the owner hasnt even started it?? its daylight robbery in my opinion. i also do work for the MOD and i have worked on u,s and british land rover td5,s that have done thousands of miles on aviation fuel witch is basically kerosene(paraffin) with a very small amount of oil in it with no harm done, they just clatter very slightly louder, oh and pull better. so i dont think a couple of litres of petrol diluted into a full tank of diesel will do any damage. just forget about it and in a few months time you'll of forgot you ever did it Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

just a quick tip here, if you do fill your car or any other vehicle with the wrong fuel, dont turn the ignition fully on, only turn it to the first stage to allow the steering lock to come off. if you do turn it fully on you will start the fuel pump running and thats when its gets a bit more expensive. anyway get your car home and then drain the tank. a lot of new cars dont have a drain tap so you will have to pump the fuel out using a pump with a long pipe on it. some cars have a valve to stop this but a thin enough pipe will usually work. if not its a tank off job Rolling Eyes . so once the tank is drained as far as you can, you then have to half fill the tank with the correct fuel and then strait away empty it again. this makes sure the two fuels stay mixed and so you will of removed 95% of the foreign fuel and you can then fill up the tank fully with the correct fuel and i always find this works totally effective and no problems are encountered. you can fill and empty the tank a couple of times if you like but it can be expensive on fuel,,,,. i have had some cases where the fuel system needed bleeding but this is quite rare and quite easy to do, its no different to when you change the fuel filter. Thumbs Up

if you have turned the ignition on then it becomes a bit more complicated. this depends on the vehicle, some are easy and some are a pain but the only new parts needed are two new fuel filters as long as the engine hasnt run. it just involves bleeding the system until the correct fuel comes through. it can sometimes pay to empty and re fill the tank again after all the bleeding and fit the second new filter, but this is only if your super cautious. even if the engine has been run it always pays to empty and re bleed the whole system and then see how the engine runs, a lot of the time you can get away with it, thats where the garage man starts to weigh his fingers and stuffs you with the massive bill for parts he hasnt even fitted. Shocked

oh, forgot to say that, if your car has a drain plug and you didnt turn the ignition on then just drain the tank, re fill and it will be fine. and if you have some clear drums you can put the cross contaminated fuel in them and leave them to settle for a week or two and allow them to separate. you can then pump the majority of the fuel out and re use it. the diesel sometimes has a faint smell of petrol to it but as long as you didnt mix them again you'll be fine. i use the petrol in my lawn tractor and apart from a bit of blue smoke its fine Thumbs Up

hope this helps, if its been covered by someone before then sorry in advance. there are a few cases where it gets patience trying but all in all it generaly works, but just as a disclaimer, i cannot give any guarantees(sorry) Thumbs Up

Post #35206030th Sep 2008 11:46 am
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

The word (on here) is that with a D3, even unlocking the vehicle on the remote starts the pumping process, without waiting for the key to be inserted.

So you have to block the forecourt pumps until help arrives. Embarassed
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #35231530th Sep 2008 6:26 pm
j,moore

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Atacama SandDiscovery 3

its quite possible, i'll check mine tomorow and i'll let you know. even still untill you start the engine no real harm will be done ,,,

Post #35232030th Sep 2008 6:49 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Well wadaya know, Last week wanted to fill tank late at night with card, card only fills to value of CHF 150.- (about £75) In my daze, started to fill tank again, looked at price, TOO LOW, oh no its petrol, Censored . About 5 litres went in to a full tank. Not noticed any difference.

Was reading about Bio fuels the other day, some recommend adding a little 2 stroke oil for better fuel pump lubrication. Wondering if this is good for a minor misfuel (havent tried it yet).
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #35239930th Sep 2008 9:14 pm
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

philhunt wrote:

I was talking to a very ancient and long retired ex lorry driver the other day. He told me that, in his early days, lorry drivers used to light fires under the diesel fuel lines to unfreeze them in the winter!

I'm not an ancient or long retired lorry driver, but I can remember doing this, but it was before the fuel companies started treating the diesel for winter use.
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #35240830th Sep 2008 9:28 pm
Iona Disko

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I know someone with a Td4 Freelander 2005 model that was brimmed with petrol by mistake.

I would estimate that only 25% of the mix or less was diesel.

If is currently awaiting an engine rebuild - presumably on the fuel side?

What surprised me is that it drove for a good few miles before giving up.

The driver had no recollection of putting petrol in it - took the garage's investigative work to diagnose.

I guessed at a fuel problem and it was at the back of my mind but didn't think it was possible to make that sort of mistake without knowing!

Post #35247130th Sep 2008 10:38 pm
LRA TECH

England 2009 LR3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverLR3
Re: Mis-Fuelling

disco3kenny wrote:
SWMBO Put 2 litres of petrol in Diesel tank by mistake..... Shocked

Tank 1/4 full of diesel ---then 2 litres of petrol----then brimmed up to Max with more diesel !!

No loss of Power or performence car drives perfect...Exhaust fumes clear...no misfires...no strange noises...just Perfect!!

Phoned the AA for Advice...they say UNDER 5 Litres of Petrol on Misfuell will be ok..if all ready DIESEL already in tank!
Asked them i if iam still covered for Possible fuel related problems...YES was the answer!!

Any advice would be welcome Bow down

SWMBO feels like Sh*t Big Cry

The AA have no authorisation to say that you are covered for fuel related problems occur if incorrect fuel has been added by mistake,,sorry but your car isn't a 20year old diesel banger..Landrover dealers have a strict procedures to follow on how to deal with different incorrect fuel senario's eg: ignition on,started,ran until stopped etc.

NB,,if you decide to have your fuel drained elsewhere and not at a LR dealer, restrictions will come into force on your warranty..

Post #36408724th Oct 2008 12:39 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Re: Mis-Fuelling

LRA TECH wrote:

NB,,if you decide to have your fuel drained elsewhere and not at a LR dealer, restrictions will come into force on your warranty..

I appreciate your comments are from Land Rover's authorised perspective, but legally that is not the case. Under EU law if the service, whatever it may be is carried out correctly to the manufacturers specification no restriction can be placed on a warranty and it would be for Land Rover to show that it contributed to any future problem.

At the end of the day they have to find out first Thumbs Up

Post #36550627th Oct 2008 6:17 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

IF I ever mis-fuelled the car, I certainly wouldn't go posting my story on hear Laughing Laughing
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #36550827th Oct 2008 6:20 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Bodsy wrote:
IF I ever mis-fuelled the car, I certainly wouldn't go posting my story on hear Laughing Laughing

I would, but I would use DG's number plate in the post Rolling with laughter

EDIT: Just remembered he is a moderator, so he could change anything he wanted Shocked

Post #36551227th Oct 2008 6:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >