DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

MOT Passed, but only just ...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
MOT Passed, but only just ...

Had the D4 booked into main dealer for MOT today.

Main Dealer Shocked WHY I hear you shouting!! They'll bend you over a barrel and give you a comprehensive shafting Evil or Very Mad

Well Guy Salmon did a free mot for life when I bought the car new from them 6 years ago, so I'm damn sure I'm going to get every last penny of value from them, I even got them to book me a courtesy taxi ride to and from, which is worth £20, and they cleaned it.

Anyhow, it passed, but not with flying colours. Initial fail on headlamp aim (probably from when I fixed the problem with the AFS system that they couldn't) 3 advisories, both front lower wishbones and both rear upper wishbones have play. Rear brake pads at 3mm.

Of course I have a quote for repairs included in the paperwork. Front wishbones and bolts £554.10 fitted. Both rear wishbones and bolts £374.24 fitted. Geo Check £135. Rear brake pads £248.84

I was kind of hoping a comprehensive fail on the all the wishbones, as WD would have covered. Now have a problem getting them to pay because they are only advisories. Anyway, if they don't pay, I won't renew and use the money saved to pay for most of the wishbone repairs. They are offering me Secure care 12 months at £770.

Post #203083121st Feb 2019 5:43 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Main dealer prices always seem so inconsistent.

The price for the wishbones doesn’t seem too bad, but nearly £400 for tracking and pads just seems excessive.
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #203085421st Feb 2019 6:55 pm
Washwipe

England 

A lot of dealers are doing a special deal on rear pads for vehicles over three years old, £145 fitted at participating dealers, somehow I don’t think Guy Salmon are participating.

Post #203087221st Feb 2019 7:23 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

They won’t be doing the brakes! I’ll do them. However the wishbone quote doesn’t seem that bad.

I’m sure the fronts were over £800 last time they did them. That was only 30k miles ago!

Post #203087621st Feb 2019 7:30 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Of course the wishbone bushes have play they are designed to have, it becomes a farce at mot time.
Do they knock or bump when you dab the brake peddle at walking speed? Is any fluid leaking out of them? Stand at the side of the car while someone drives forward, can the wheels be seen move forward faster than the car (flexing)?
If the answer is no the bushes and arms are good, do what I did, take it to another MOT station and it past with NO ADVISORIES.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #203088221st Feb 2019 7:42 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

30k ago!!! They really are taking the peeeess.
I question whether main dealers MOT them or if they are contracted out, if a main dealer does then I sure they have to do MOTs for ANY vehicle wether a LR or not as a condition of the MOT license. This could mean that the main LR agency has no say in the matter whether it passes or fails, this leaves the only route forward in the case of a dispute to go through VOSA. Evil or Very Mad
The price they are quoting is very good, particularly for the rears and I assume genuine parts Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #203088321st Feb 2019 7:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >