This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
(2)  
User Registered Confirmed
JMC7th Mar 2007 3:55 pm
simon7th Mar 2007 8:19 pm

simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Local dealer all the way for me... rather deal with real people I can speak to than some dodgy broker.

High mileage... kind of agree here but mine has nothing fitted above a stock manual 'S' but the running gear is getting very strange. Steering at low speed is very nervous, clunks all round are concerning (and I don't off road that much and when I do I'm not a head case over the rough stuff), feedback from dealer and others that running gear being fixed regularly is a worry... and I bet out of warranty very costly.

Post #1368247th Mar 2007 11:08 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I hope your wrong Si. Hopefully mine will come back tomorrow as smooth as silk and sharp as an arrow. The steering rack is a tad worrying though. I gather its a Jag item, same as an XK, maybe its not upto the job of a 2.7 tonne car that goes off road.

The roll bar stirrup bushes are cheap though, so that does not concern me too much.

My current thinking is hang on to the car, but I may change my mind before November. I still think the 09 model may have some interesting changes.

Land Rover will probably take the view that a few early rack replacements is not worth changing the design over. Most vehicles will not get to 60k before the warranty expires. Then it turns from warranty cost, to profit on spare parts and repairs on out of warranty repairs.

God I must stop being so cynical Confused

Post #1368487th Mar 2007 11:23 pm
simon

Gareth wrote:
Land Rover will probably take the view that a few early rack replacements is not worth changing the design over. Most vehicles will not get to 60k before the warranty expires. Then it turns from warranty cost, to profit on spare parts and repairs on out of warranty repairs.

Thats my point and worry. There are very few - in the scheme of things - high mileage D3's like ours around and those that are, are having the same work done at around the same mileage.

Also don't forget. We have accelerated the age of ours by a good factor compared to most that will change vehicles before they get to that mileage or will get there in a good few years longer than we have.

Anyway... if I can chop it in for a new one before the end of the year I will. If not I shall be looking for an extended warranty for another year.

Post #1368527th Mar 2007 11:29 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You are correct Simon, but the cost to change would cover a lot of steering racks! I will try and find out tomorrow how much the job would cost me if I had to repeat it at 140k miles.

Post #1368607th Mar 2007 11:40 pm
simon

I'm not thinking of having to have the parts replaced I have / will have tomorrow being done in another 60K miles. Wont have the D3 then. Its the other parts that worry me if these essentials are wearing already with only moderate off road use and mostly motorway driving.

Post #1368637th Mar 2007 11:43 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Surely the cost of parts and repair is still going to be far lower than the loss due to depreciation on a new one? Confused
 The End  
Post #1368988th Mar 2007 9:24 am
simon

No your probably right Si. Though paying a monthly fee for a new D3 (with sat nav and auto) and having free warranty work done for another 3 years is a nice feeling Wink

Will re-finance the GFV anyways so may be better off pexing the 'S' for another new one.

Will assess later in the year as doing it now makes no sense.

Post #1369108th Mar 2007 10:19 am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >