Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Mounting a Codan Autotune Antenna
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Boofrmb

Australia 2006 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Hi All. Have had 4 Range rovers with ARB bullbars. All 4 have had Codan Auto tune Antennas with no problems. Can any one send a pic with the a top veiw showing the distance between bullbar and car.

Rob
 2006 Disco 3 TDV6 SE in Zambezi Silver
1948 Series 1 SWB Soft Top in Standard green 

Post #5526028th Apr 2006 9:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Are you intending to fit an ARB bar to a D3, Boofrmb? Can't help you with the photos, but it does not seem possible to get enough room between the bar and bonnett to fit the autotune antenna.

By the way, today I woke the LR Dealer from his slumbers and ordered a factory bar to be fitted next Tuesday, and the Parts bloke told me that a D3 with ARB bar came in a few days back after hitting a goat - the bar had pushed back into the front of the vehicle, damaging the bonnet and grill! Sounds expensive - better probably than no bar at all, but it seems to support my theory that the bar is mounted too close.
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #5527128th Apr 2006 11:27 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hope these two pics give you an idea about the space for the aerial mounting positions. The spring base on this UHF aerial is a GME one.

The ARB bar doesn't have aerial mounts on the bar that runs across the front of the bonnet due to the clearance between the bar and bonnet.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #5527528th Apr 2006 12:28 pm
Jamo

Australia 

The dealer will tell stories like that because he wants to sell overpriced LR units! I originally has an 'A' frame bar that cost $1700 as an option when I bought the car. What a piece of cr*p! Solid rubber and about as useless as t*ts on a bull! There's a reason that LR calls its steel bar a 'brush bar'!

Sure, the bar will be affected, but the goat itself is also going to push back the bonnet, probably to a greater extent, damaging the radiator and god knows what else!

Boofrmb, I will post a picture tomorrow, but I think that a 150mm base is too large, at its furthest point the top rail is only 70mm from the bonnet.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #5527628th Apr 2006 12:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jamo

Australia 

You beat me to it, Chris! Very Happy
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #5527728th Apr 2006 12:32 pm
Boofrmb

Australia 2006 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Hi Jamo. Thanks for both your info and chris's. I would still like to see pics of your bar on your unit. Not sure but it looks like chris's bar is too far back, but its a little to dark to tell.

Rob
 2006 Disco 3 TDV6 SE in Zambezi Silver
1948 Series 1 SWB Soft Top in Standard green 

Post #5557930th Apr 2006 6:32 am
Jamo

Australia 

Hello Rob,

Here are some pics of my bar

The distances are quite small. Even the bumper section is only about 150mm wide at the deepest point.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #5559530th Apr 2006 10:34 am
Lex

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think that the best solution to mounting a HF antenna is to mount it on the rear tytre carrier. I spoke to Kaymar accessories some time ago but could not get a definate date for production.

Rear mounting offers better visibility as you don't need to look around a big fat aerial all the time and the aerial is better protected from collision damage either from animals or other vehicles.

Once we get the spare tyre away from under the vehicle which is the most rediculous place to put it anyway someone will be able to give us a decent fuel tank. Even a Prado has twice the fuel capacity of a D3.I think that it's an insult to offer an offroad vehicle which has a fuel capacity of 85 litres and a spare tyre that is either full of crap when you evetually access it having first unloaded half your gear to access the release point or is totally shredded after being scraped over rocks for two years.
 TDV6 HSE Zambezi/Tundra  
Post #557261st May 2006 2:11 am
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

That sums it up well, Lex. In the meantime, I'm getting the factory bar fitted tomorrow and I'll make up an antenna mount for it, similar to yours.
Cheers,
Tony.
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #557271st May 2006 2:26 am
Jamo

Australia 

Longrange automotive are about to release a 110l auxilliary tank that sits underneath where the spare goes!

I've sent an email to Kaymar about the wheel carrier, but haven't had a reply!
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #557311st May 2006 3:33 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jamo,

So are Longranger talking to Kaymar about a wheel carrier? Maybe they think you'll put the spare on your roof rack with your tent Laughing Laughing

I can't imagine that their sales will skyrocket on their D3 tanks without a solution for the spare. The roof of the D3 is only dynamically rated to 70kg. The roof rack plus tent already exceeds that for me, therefore no more stuff on the roof for me.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #557331st May 2006 3:45 am
Jamo

Australia 

I am led to believe that Kaymar are just short of producing the carrier. I think I'l send them another email.

There other options such as the armadillo one, but I'd like to weigh up all the products before committing. So I'll keep hassling Kaymar 'till I get an answer.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #557371st May 2006 7:36 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Jamo wrote:
I think TJM also does a bar now.

There have been several companies names mentioned on this thread that I am unfamiliar with. TJM, Longranger, and Kaymar. Thanks to Google I found all of these. If any one else would like to know, they are here:

- http://www.tjmbullbars.com/index.htm
- http://www.longranger.net/
- http://www.kaymar.net/

Post #558101st May 2006 2:28 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Sorry! Embarassed I forget where I am sometimes!

The fuel tank isn't showing on the long ranger site yet, but I have an email from them confirming it's iminent release. (part No. LD3A).
www.longrangeautomotive.com.au Very Happy
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #558191st May 2006 3:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >